Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One XL Update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One XL Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Updates Reply with quote

Forddriver wrote:

After formatting has completed, copy the three files back onto the device and Bob should be your father's brother!!
Then log into home and update device.

That should be FOLDERS not files, and also that isn't the end of the process. At this point you will have NO operating program on the device at all, that's why you have to log into Home, to get the software back.

As it's all getting a bit confusing, here's the situation in a nutshell:

1. the TomTom's PROGRAM is contained in the "loose" files (the ones that are not in a folder).

2. There are also many folders. These contain things like maps, voices, postcode databases, etc. All of them are needed for full operation but you can get the machine working with just a map folder and a single voice in the voices folder.

3. TomTom have basically made a mess of their instructions to you, by combining parts of the "get you going quickly if there's not too much wrong" set and the "bigger fix, if that didn't work" set.

The quick fix:
You delete the "loose" files to kill the program, but leave everything else (all the folders) in place. Then when you connect to Home, it will see they are missing and will replace them.

The big fix:
If that doesn't work, they are assuming the drive has corrupted, so you have to copy all the folders to somewhere else (the "backup" process), format the TomTom drive so NOTHING is left, then replace it bit by bit starting with a new version of the software (via Home) and copying your map, zip (postcodes) and voice folders back.
Forddriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: TomTom Updates Reply with quote

Hello Again,
I carried out TomTom Support instructions. Whilst it was straight forward this particular TomTom One XL is playing up! I have had to update the software several times to make the unit work. These were all different software updates by number definition.
It became apparent that some of the files were indeed corrupt. I copied the files that TomTom told me to copy and I reformatted the drive. The result was that I had a "clean" drive to reload the files and update the software. As a result I was left with something in the region of 33MB of free space.
I thought I would be clever and do a backup to a 2GB SD card, which indeed worked as far as I can tell, as "MY Computer" shows the files on the SD card.
However, the SD card would not work in either my friends One XL or my wife's One XL, even though hers runs on the small TomTom SD card for GB only maps.
I then tried a trial download of PocketGPS cameras as my friend wants to subscribe in the future. This caused a problem as well.
The British cameras downloaded in the speed zoned files correctly. I copied them over to the TomTom, but the cameras worked up to and including the Specs 30mph camera file, after that nothing was working. I deleted the files and tried again, but with the same result, although "My Computer" showed the files had downloaded to the TomTom correctly. I also tried with the European files, but again they would not work and neither would any of the voice files, so there is something not right with this particular model. I have no trouble with my TomTom 920T and my wife's One XL in getting the files to update and work correctly, but my friend's One XL has defeated me and after many hours of labouring and swearing etc I am giving up!
I don't know why the SD card won't work. It's a Scandisk " multi-use" SD card. It won't work in either of the One XLs all I get is a picture of an SD card with a red cross through it and an arrow pointing out of the machines!
That is the current state of play.
Regards
Dave M.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Updates Reply with quote

Forddriver wrote:
It became apparent that some of the files were indeed corrupt. I copied the files that TomTom told me to copy and I reformatted the drive. The result was that I had a "clean" drive to reload the files and update the software. As a result I was left with something in the region of 33MB of free space.

33MB? After a format 'before' you installed the software or after a format and re-install?
Forddriver wrote:
I then tried a trial download of PocketGPS cameras as my friend wants to subscribe in the future. This caused a problem as well.
The British cameras downloaded in the speed zoned files correctly. I copied them over to the TomTom, but the cameras worked up to and including the Specs 30mph camera file, after that nothing was working.

That sounds like you have too many POI files installed, what other POI files have you or your friends installed? Count the number of files ending in ov2 in your map folder and report back.
Forddriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: TomTom Updates Reply with quote

Hi Darren,
This is the story of twelve hours later!
At a very late hour last night, after numerous software updates from TomTom via Home, I now have a working One XL. It also loaded ALL of the British cameras, but no voices and no European cameras!
The One XL boots up with a white screen, no TomTom splash screens and goes straight into a map. This is nothing I have set up. By carrying out a reset, the One XL boots up with the full splash screens and the moving yellow line across the screen. The word TomTom then appears and takes ages to change over to maps. On shutting the machine down and rebooting it goes back to a white screen and an extremely quick boot up into maps.
The drive is currently showing 21.8MB of free space. That is after clearing the files as required and then formatting and re-installing files and operating system. There are 62 files of pocketgps files on the machine and ALL of them are apparently working, apart from the voice warnings and the European cameras and I can't make them active through the menu system, so I removed them, at least for the moment.
The 2GB SD card still won't work. I have formatted it and tried again without success, although if I place my wife's SD card from her One XL into the One XL Europe, that SD card works and "takes over" the machine as though it was the One XL GB, Odd?
All the maps appear to be working correctly. I have carried out demo trips both in the UK and into France, although the they appear to work correctly, it takes an absolute age for the machine to decide which roads to take! My wife's One XL although the GB model is very quick and has the same operating software as my friend's One XL Europe.
I genuinely wish I had not started this. Helping a friend out has been traumatic and I am not sure even now that the One XL Europe is working exactly as it should be.
Regards
Dave M
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we might need to look at each unit independently in order to have clarity.

If it's an option for you, you could send one or more of them to me (I'm in NE Hants) and I'll take a look for you?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: