Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ALG - do you use it?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ALG - do you use it?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tobas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: ALG - do you use it? Reply with quote

Nice feature, being told what lane to be in. Even better the lane layout that expands instead of "turn left". But do you use the popup ALG? I've done about 1000 miles since I got the latest maps at the weekend, mainly on motorways. What I'm finding is by the time it flashes up the lane layout, if you're not already in the correct lane then you've got no chance in the traffic. Even the expanding lane layout is appearing too late, both only appear at the 400yd marker.

I thought all the pictures were the same until I had to turn off near Portsmouth and on the horizon it showed the outline of a city with "Portsmouth" above it.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALG and Lane Images. Great bit of marketing hype. Useless implementation because it's mostly too late AND not accurate - the number of lanes is often wrong. The Lane Images are dreadful, because they block out the map display and leave you wondering just where you are (they're static, so the view remains unchanged without taking you along the motorway as you come up to the junction).

Portsmouth huh? Have you watched ALG and Lane Images coming to the bottom of the M3? Try it some time and pretend you don't know the area, you're a newcomer delivering there or on a touring holiday. Frightening.

So I have them turned off! Evil or Very Mad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I'm in the minority here but I like it & have it on all the time.

I did find it a tad too late when exiting the M27 on one junction but I find it has given me plenty of warning time else where so it's staying turned on for me.
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it and it does help, so I am in the "Yes" column.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it all depends upon how fast you are going as you approach the junction. It seems to come on typically when you are about 1/2 mile from the junction. I have it on but I only use it to confirm that I am in the correct lane.
I tend to use those big blue signs that start appearing at least one mile before the junction and that we all used to look for before sat navs were invented.
I never cease to be amazed by the number of people who suddenly change lane at the last moment because they either can't read or more likely weren't paying attention.
I was around 'Spaghetti Junction' (J6-M6) last weekend and the lane splits come far too quickly for ALG to keep up with even at 40 mph, you just have to read the signs................. Wink
turbo10
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its only 80% perfect imo....but it I like it. So yes I use it
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
newtosatnav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great gadget and I love gadgets so yes I have it on, but I could cope with "take next exit" spoken to me ! Laughing
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count your blessings. people .... ALG doesn't even show up for Canadian roads in v8 of the maps! Crying or Very sad
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Count your blessings. people .... ALG doesn't even show up for Canadian roads in v8 of the maps! Crying or Very sad

Count your blessings, Canadian people. My sister went to Canada last year and brought back some unbelievable video - you don't want lane images distracting you from that glorious view.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Tobas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I tend to use those big blue signs that start appearing at least one mile before the junction and that we all used to look for before sat navs were invented.

Precisely my point, they should appear around the same point as the big blue signs. Whats the point in having them if you've already worked it out from the road signs? I can think of several junctions on the M25 & M6 yesterday when, had I not read the big blue signs, tomtom's lane advice would have had me swerving across a few irate motorists Surprised
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple answer is to read the motorway signs, the nav unit is simply an aid, it might even have errors in the mapping data, so swerving across the lanes of a motorway just because the TomTom told you to certainly won't earn brownie points from other motorists, it will however earn you points on the driving license if/ when the Police see this sort of behaviour - Mike
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The simple answer is to read the motorway signs, the nav unit is simply an aid, it might even have errors in the mapping data, so swerving across the lanes of a motorway just because the TomTom told you to certainly won't earn brownie points from other motorists, it will however earn you points on the driving license if/ when the Police see this sort of behaviour - Mike

... and if you tell them you were following your Sat Nav it'll probably be a few more points too Shocked
batties
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had time to use ALG yet as I have only just purchased the v8 Maps. Does anyone know if I can run it in demo mode so I can test/view the lane guidance pop up on my go 720?
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can indeed.
Copperbeech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
My sister went to Canada last year and brought back some unbelievable video - you don't want lane images distracting you from that glorious view.

Just curious as to where in Canada your sister was dazzled by the view...from a car while driving?....must have been in the mountains out west?

I havent been to England for about 30 years but as a kid I was always struck by the image of descending in the airplane to land at Gatwick and seeing so much of a patchwork of farmer's fields and green space...here in a small country with so many people Shocked .

A beautiful country; one where people walk everywhere!

Off Topic

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: