Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Home2 problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Home2 problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whoseline
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: TomTom Home2 problem Reply with quote

Anyone experiencing problems of TomTom Home deleting your maps/files on your memory card without your authorisation?

Every time I try to update/connect my TomTom One V1 UK regional to TomTom Home, it brings up random updates I already have but when I access the removable card via my computer, there is nothing in it!

When I right click the card via my computer, there is something on it but I can't see the files. Lucky I had a back-up but it gets annoying everytime I want to update my TT.

There use to be gpsfix updates on TT Home quite often, everytime I connected to TT Home, but now since the new TT Home version came out, I haven't seen any available?

The following is what I am using/running it on:

Windows vista sp1

TT ONE V1 regional
App 7.162
UK & ROI v720.1802
gps v1.21

what is the problem?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Home2 problem Reply with quote

whoseline wrote:
Anyone experiencing problems of TomTom Home deleting your maps/files on your memory card without your authorisation?

Ouch! Nasty!

Quote:

There use to be gpsfix updates on TT Home quite often, everytime I connected to TT Home, but now since the new TT Home version came out, I haven't seen any available?

That's a known problem.... try removing all the corrections (yours and others) using the Go's menus and deleting the Home download cache on the PC. Then try updating again.

Quote:

what is the problem?

A bit tricky to say if it's only happening to you. I've heard of Home doing quite a fw odd things, but nothing this serious before!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be something as simple as a corrupted memory card. You could copy all the files off the card, format it and then copy the files back.

I take it you do have a good backup of the card given all the issues you have had?
whoseline
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I downloaded the new TT Home. I connected it to my TT and it deleted my map.

I was annoyed and needed it there and then so I brought the lastest UK map as I didn't have an back-up at the time.

Second time it happened, I had a full back up due to what happened 1st time round.

I re-formatted my card twice now due to TT home mess up my memory card plus I have seen the gpsfix update since using the new TT home.
whoseline
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Home2 problem Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Quote:

That's a known problem.... try removing all the corrections (yours and others) using the Go's menus and deleting the Home download cache on the PC. Then try updating again.

It happened to me again. annoying! How do I do the above?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I got that wrong....
To remove the corrections from the Go, you don't use the menus.
You connect to the PC, shut down "Home" if it insists on starting up, launch Windows Explorer and browse to the "ephem" folder on the Go. Open it up and delete the contents.

To delete the cache on the PC, use Explorer again. go to the place Home stores it's downloads (usually My Documents / TomTom / HOME / Downloads, and delete the contents of the "ephemeris" folder.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They aren't 'corrections', they're the QuickGPS files?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are anything like the ones I get (that seem to put me 100yds off-course) then they act like "corrections"!
But yes, you're quite right.... my mind must have still been in MapShare mode! Embarassed
whoseline
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI,

I got a TomTom One V1 regional. And the problem is, I haven't seen/had an GPSquickfix update for ages when using the new TT Home.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoseline wrote:
I got a TomTom One V1 regional. And the problem is, I haven't seen/had an GPSquickfix update for ages when using the new TT Home.

Consider yourself fortunate then! The offer little to most users and at best would save a few seconds and even then only if it had been some time since you last used the device.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tell you the REAL reason why I end up with Quickfix downloads....

When I connect to Home (often just for interest, to see how it's coping!) I usually expect to see 3 possible downloads:
1. the v8 software update - which I don't want yet
2. the GPSQuickFix
3. the Mapshare corrections - which are usually broken/unavailable these days.

So I opt for the QuickFix just to see if Home manages to download ANYTHING! Joker
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, is your version of map(s) at the 7 level still within the 1-yr window for getting mapshares?

My 7.10 was beyond 1-yr by a few days so I bit the bullet and dl the N8 firmware in order to be able to buy the v8 map of NA.

Of course, as soon as I did, the mapshare servers went down anyway! Censored
whoseline
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
whoseline wrote:

Consider yourself fortunate then! The offer little to most users and at best would save a few seconds and even then only if it had been some time since you last used the device.

it does take a little longer to find a gps signal which sort of bugs me.

what is the root of the problem you reckon? This only happened since they brought out a new version of TT Home.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Andy, is your version of map(s) at the 7 level still within the 1-yr window for getting mapshares?

Great minds....
I was only thinking the other day that it must be getting close to the limit.
Mine are v715 which I think were released in Feb '08, so I've got a bit of time yet.

I suppose it's too much to ask that Home would tell me when the time does run out? Do you get any indication?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope! No indication whatsoever....... if TT can't indicate to the masses that they aren't getting mapshares they are entitled to when the servers are down, it'd be too much to expect them to communicate when a user is NOT entitled to any more mapshares. Mad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: