Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mapshares are disappearing!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapshares are disappearing!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just restored my 720 with a clean install of the map, installed MapShare updates.

Initially, it was showing 101,000 corrections in use, but as soon as I'd looked at the MapShare preferences, Home must have obtained settings from the device and reduced it to 65,000.

I'm consistently seeing the number change in relation to MapShare/Trust Level preference changes, although I'm open to alternative suggestions.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
But what were your Map Share settings on your device prior to installing Home 2.4?

carl_the_cobbler wrote:
Have never touched them previously on any version of HOME.

I don't believe there was the option of changing them in any previous version of Home. That's why I asked you what the settings on the device were.

It may be that the previous settings on the device were for a less strict trust level than the default level in Home, and that you therefore had more corrections.

From what users have reported it seems possible that when a device is first connected to Home 2.4 it removes the previous corrections, or at least those that would require a less strict level of trust than the new default setting in Home.

On the other hand I could be talking absolute rubbish! Again! Rolling Eyes
Samsung Galaxy S21
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita said:

From what users have reported it seems possible that when a device is first connected to Home 2.4 it removes the previous corrections, or at least those that would require a less strict level of trust than the new default setting in Home.

Bingo.......I think you may have nailed it!!
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's why I asked you what the settings on the device were.

I do apologise, I didn't actually realise you could set them up through the device. So I suppose that is the question answered Very Happy . Have just looked and the top 2 are ticked, "I made myself" and "verified by TT".

Again apologies.

Cheers

Carl
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But as GPS_fan has said, it looks as though the two settings are interactive, so it may be best to check from time to time that both Home and the device are using the settings you want them to.
Samsung Galaxy S21
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone advice on a location where I can download the previous Home version (v2.3). The MapShare bug in v2.4 is still preventing me from downloading new map corrections. I wonder why problem only hits some of us....
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things keep getting weirder. After rolling back to version 2.3.1.92, Home tells me there are 34796 MapShare map corrections waiting to be downloaded. But when I select "Update my GO" I am told that my device is up-to-date and no updates are to be found. How weird isn't that????
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can somebody try to persuade me that map corrections are worth downloading? I have yet to hear an argument that convinces me. I'm coming from the background of the A40 closure and the 29/39mph speeds and a 20mph national speed limit dual carriageway of the A4 eastbound into Bath on my nice new v810 maps.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mapshares are worth having!!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_the_cobbler wrote:

Mapshares are worth having!!!

It was actually a serious question. I know I sometimes am flippant, so I'll ask again, seriously. Why should I download map corrections?

carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow, sorry again!! Just trying to have a giggle!!

Embarassed Rolling Eyes Embarassed
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_the_cobbler wrote:
Holy cow, sorry again!! Just trying to have a giggle!!

Embarassed Rolling Eyes Embarassed

OK. So why do YOU download map corrections?

carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I want to.

If there is a new speed limit, it saying 39 instead of 40 doesn't bother me in the slightest as I realise that speed limits in this country won't be 39, so I can suss that it means 40. I have driven for many years without one of these things, and being able to read the speed limits helps.

If someone suggested to me through an electrical aid that the A40 was shut then using my common sense I would probably like to check it myself, and then finding it wasn't closed would carry on with my journey, and if I had the ability to change the information in my device I probably would do that, then after the first time I would have very little to whinge about.

I reckon I would also realise that a 20mph dual carriageway would be wrong and would change it myself back to what I knew it to be, then next time I went down that road it wouldn't happen again, and again no further whinging would take place.

If you don't feel it is something you can trust, can rely on or whatever then you choose not to use it.

I use it (the TT) to allow me to get to where I am going and so if someone else is trying to help me (through MapShare) get there then that is ok by me, also I have no interest in how to get somewhere as long as I get there in the time frame that I have chosen, and with my TT it tells me a time, after it has decided a route, that time has included all these MapShares and so if they are a crock and I, through whatever method, decide to go along a different route then I can look at my little helper and it will say what time I am supposed to get there and it will still hopefully be within a quarter of an hour of the initial time stated and if it isn't then such is life Very Happy

I use Mapshare because I can and because I want to.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_the_cobbler wrote:
If someone suggested to me through an electrical aid that the A40 was shut then using my common sense I would probably like to check it myself, and then finding it wasn't closed would carry on with my journey

I reckon I would also realise that a 20mph dual carriageway would be wrong and would change it myself.

The A40 and the 20mph dual carriageway problems are beyond your ability to handle. You are navigating from A to B and when TT sees the A40 closed, it will navigate a different route - you won't even know the A40 is closed because it won't tell you. Same with the 20mph dual carriageway - fastest route will avoid it big time, sending you along the 60mph country lane instead and you won't know to challenge it. Or do you always look at what route you've been given and decide whether to use it or your own ideas?

If someone suggests to you by means of a sign made up of a vertical bar with a red line across the top that a road is a dead end, do you drive up it to check it yourself? That's what the TT did with the A40.

I wonder how you arrive at the conclusion that "someone else is trying to help you" by "correcting" the A40 to closed and the A4 to 20mph?

Sorry, must try harder - I'm still not convinced. Confused

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention those who maliciously submit erroneous 'corrections' to prevent their road attracting too much traffic.

Plus, the A40 should never have appeared as a MapShare correction, because MapShare submissions are supposed to be for PERMANENT corrections

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: