Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Should I get a TT730T
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I get a TT730T
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newtosatnav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Observations so far;

The FM transmitter is much better than the Garmin

The option to have different speakers for different outputs is very useful, my phone automatically mutes the stereo, but I can still get the navigation through the unit

The screen on the TT is much poorer in bright light even at it's brightest.

The TT is much more customisable.

The fact that I have to manually unplug the traffic amd power seperately each time is a pain, the Garmin had a quick release.

The Lane Guidance is really good on the TT

The directions are clearer and easier to follow.

Overall very happy with the TT, at this point I still think that I have made the right decision, although I am a bit bothered about the unwanted reboots that I am reading in other posts.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am a bit bothered about the unwanted reboots that I am reading in other posts.
Don't worry too much. Hopefully you will be one of the thousands of us that doesn't get that problem.

I'm really happy with my 720 which is now the same as a 730T
newtosatnav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear !

The speech recognition failed and the RDS traffic hasn't worked very well since I got it, so I rang TT and they said as it was only two weeks old to take it back.

Halfords did the decnt thing and swapped it without any fuss, I gave them a copy of the mail that TT had sent me which they have kept with the unit.

Bit of a worry !
keithjeffrey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who recently ( just under 2 weeks ago ) brought a 730T I am watching this thread with interest.
I have had one problem with mine so far , it has happened 3 times so far , when the audio cuts out completely for no apparent reason.
I have to turn off / turn on the unit to rectify.
Not a big problem , but a problem none the less and not something you should expect on a unit that cost me £ 300.00.
thetrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,

I own a TomTom 920T (the same as the 720T apart from extra maps) and a Garmin 760 - which is on the wife's car.

Having trialed both - I reckon SatNavNewbie?? should have stuck with his TomTom, even though he paid a scandalous price for it.

The TomTom is far more customisable and has more journey detail available on the screen. It looks better, handles better, performs better. Add the latest maps and the PocketGPS Speed camera database (as I have) and you have a quality piece of kit. The Garmin by comparison is depressingly basic in terms of customisation possibilities.

The only extra refinement that I may add - TT Traffic - as from what I have read, this seems to work quite well unlike the free service - which is poor on both.
newtosatnav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thetrotter

I think that you may be a bit confused.

I did chop in the Garmin and bought a 730T and it broke after two weeks, although I now have a replacement which seems fine (touch wood) !

I agree with some of your assessments of the TT although I still don't like the screen as much as the Garmin.

As for "scandelous price" I shopped around quite a bit and £279 for a 730T seemed pretty competitive ?
thetrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newtosatnav,

You're right - I misread you as returning to the Garmin.

On the price - that was a premium you paid though. They can be got for as little as £239.99 - via reputable Amazon Trader, without looking around much. Not only that, but a 720T or 920T would have served you with exactly the same machine - for under £200.

With the 920T, I have a remote control, traffic leads, and, via the free upgrades; latest maps, IQ routes, Lane guidance and so forth.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: