Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - My TomTom 730T switches off & on by it self
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

My TomTom 730T switches off & on by it self
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikhlaq786
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: My TomTom 730T switches off & on by it self Reply with quote

Hiya guys this new Tomtom 730t has been no end of trouble ever since I bought it and I am very tempted to just get my money back. It randomly resets it self and also comes up with a file access error. I really feel like pulling my hair out if I had any.

My Tomtom 710 gave me no problems at all.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't say this! I bought a 730 yesterday and still so new I haven't even done LMG yet! This I can do without.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My TomTom 730T switches off & on by it self Reply with quote

ikhlaq786 wrote:
...and also comes up with a file access error.

This recently started happening to me (after TomTom Home trashed the Go for me during an "update").

Mike A. suggested running the "ClearFlash" utility (from THIS TomTom webpage.

Don't worry, it doesn't lose any of your personal settings and despite the name it doesn't clear the whole of your internal flash memory. In fact, there is nothing visible to show it has done anything at all.

I've used it a few times before but not for this particular problem, so I can't say for sure that it has fixed it yet, but so far, so good!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the gnsdata file problem.

Try deleting the file gnsdata which is in the gns folder

If you have problems deleting it then this was the problem

The TT recreates it on the next boot

Andy
PaulD28
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having similar problems with my GO720T.
When I switch it on and press "Navigate To" I choose an address and then that I want to be there at a certain time it then hangs and then after a minute reboots itself. When I can get it to plan a route (I don't do anything different for it to let me eventually do this, it just sometimes works) it will then work OK for 10 to 20 minutes then it will reboot (takes about 1 minute) and have no route planned. It also comes up with a no file storage error (or something like that, I can't remember the exact terminology).
It is also difficult to get it to switch off as it seems to hang then also.

All this has started in the last week and I hadn't updated any software or Home so it is quite bewildering to me as to why it's started happening now!

Any suggestions will be most welcome before I throw the thing through the window!!!
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting a very similar problem on my 920. Mad

Also getting message that it cannot write to the MapSettings file. Deleted this and replaced with a backup MapSettings file - still getting the same problem. Will lock up if I stray from the planned route. I am running the latest OS.

Also reset the 920 to try and get rid of the proble. Also will not let me edit POI files (use this for favourites) and my business.

As I have a back-up device, this one is going back to PC World so they can get TomTom to fix it Evil or Very Mad
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did any of you try deleting the gnsdata file?

Andy
PaulD28
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
Did any of you try deleting the gnsdata file?

Andy

I've not tried this. Is it straightforward to do?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deleted it in an attempt to cure the phone hands free problem (haven't been out with it yet to see how it goes). Deleting it apparently does no harm as it recreates a new one when it reboots.

When that file is corrupted, it seems to become untouchable, i.e. I was unable to delete it. My only solution to get rid of it was to copy the entire contents of my GO to my hard disk (yet another backup using Windows Explorer). It refused to copy gnsdata and stopped, so I had to then go back and copy the remainder in a second run through. Then, with a complete copy except for the gnsdata file, I formatted the GO and copied all contents back again. Although I haven't yet tested the hands free, the device is working perfectly at home.

There has been a suggestion you could delete it if you renamed it, but I haven't been able to try that. Another suggestion was to create some dud file called gnsdata and copy that into the device, overwriting the existing one and then deleting it, again I haven't tried that either.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE Deleting gnsdata has not solved my handsfree problem, it did it again first day out today (stops a call, issuing fast repeated noise, locks up).

My gnsdata file is again corrupt. It won't rename and I can't save another file on top of it, so my only solution is copy everything, then format again. However, I have also run ChkDsk on it and that's got rid of it. I've only bothered because I want to restore it to pretty near original condition before I take it back for a refund.

AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the same problem, and deleting the gnsdata file seems to cure it - until it happens again.

Mine has been stable for quite a while now, but it always seems to be the handsfree that crashes it and then the gnsdata file gets corrupted.

Shame, as the 510 I once had was brilliant for the handsfree, the x20 and x30 seem to suffer from this problem on a regular basis.

I have now bought a head unit with built in bluetooth handsfree and A2DP as I have given up on the TT working reliably as a handsfree unit.

Lets see what the x40 range brings, hopefully this problem will have gone away on the new hardware platform.

Andy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
Lets see what the x40 range brings, hopefully this problem will have gone away on the new hardware platform.

Andy
I sadly doubt it. Would you re-write program code that has always worked? I think that's what happened when they went to the x20, and again for the x30. Somebody else wrote the code for whatever, tested it on a unit and it worked, but they never tested x20/x30 handsfree with it (never paired a phone), just ran the new thingy. "The jukebox works, Yeee Haaaaah" Everything else already works, so we've got a nice new additional feature, ain't we clever? They introduced quite a number of new things with x20 - FM, MP3, QuickMenu, to name but a few. And at the same time, shaved the disk down to the bare bones. When I Beta tested the IQ Routes gear earlier this year, several "normal" features were disabled so I couldn't run everything as usual (in fact, the only reason I continued with it was because I had other devices with which to do a proper navigating job). So the Beta test didn't give it a solid hit.

I disliked hitting the reset button occasionally on the x10, but with the x20 it's just normal SP on an almost daily basis - certainly I never go a week without resetting. The mate who bought my GO300 almost 3 years ago says he has used the reset button once! They've GOT to be doing something wrong and unfortunately, they seem to be increasing the wrongs exponentially with each new series.

sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my GO700 I still get the phone calls drop out with the fast repeating noise of the last spoken syllable at full volume.

A reset has always cured it. So I think that problem was there before the 720. But it doesn't keep restarting on its own..... yet!
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
Drudeboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 520 has only just recently started resetting, but only seems to do it when it connects through my mobile phone to update the traffic. Anyone one had this?
I gave up on using it for handsfree a while a go, which is unusable due to the repeated last syllable crash. My bosses voice repeating was more than I could bear Mad
elljay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 730T which has been working absolutely fine for a couple of months. This week I started using the bluetooth handsfree (I've got a hire car this week without built in bluetooth) and the TomTom has started resetting itself and displaying the file access error message. Sometimes it crashes after the "Do you need to arrive at a certain time?" prompt. I found that if I use "Prepare route" using my current position as the starting point it would manage to plan a route without crashing. But... if you miss a turn it often crashes rather than recalculating the route - not good when you're in a strange area in rush hour!! Sometimes it still works fine..! It's beginning to pi$$ me off! Evil or Very Mad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: