Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Map Info?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Map Info?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: New Map Info? Reply with quote

Morning peeps, I'm going to buy a new map soon, probibly western and central europe! When i do, does this then extend my map share by a year? and do i get a lmg? or is rhat just on a new unit? When i select remove map from unit, does it save the old map on my laptop? Home asked me if i wanted to keep a sound file was hoping it would do the same for a map!

Ta peeps.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MapShare is 1 year from the purchase of the new map. LMG is for newly purchased Units, not Maps.

I wouldn't rely on HOME to Backup your Map correctly, but use the Explorer Method. After that you can safely remove the Map.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just (today) developed a new theory about Mapshare longevity.

I think the 1 year free Mapshare was hype and that it'll continue free for ever - how else will TT ever get free map correction submissions from you and "millions of users worldwide"?

Mapshare was introduced with the x20 range over a year ago and have you heard anybody bleating that Mapshare has demanded subscription?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I have just (today) developed a new theory about Mapshare longevity.

I think the 1 year free Mapshare was hype and that it'll continue free for ever - how else will TT ever get free map correction submissions from you and "millions of users worldwide"?

My suspicion is that they are covering themselves, and at some point in the future will stop supporting Mapshare/providing updates for old versions of the maps - just like Microsoft don't support Windows 95 or 98 any longer. It probably won't happen after 12 months, but they reserve the right to stop at any point after the 12 months is up.
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right Daggers. If TomTom kept on supporting old maps then what incentive is there for old map holders to update to newer ones.
It will be a case of "you want up to date maps, then pay for up to date maps"
Although the mapshare updates are dependent on us users i can't see everybody stopping submitting to the cause. If we did then they wouldn't have anything to charge for.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
providing updates for old versions of the maps
You've lost me there. Unless you mean issuing Mapshare corrections that will work on older maps? Several of us have become completely disillusioned by the Mapshare corrections we've received, to the extent that we no longer download them and simply use corrections we make ourselves. Discontinuing Mapshare will only work to TomTom's disadvantage, as so many people actually believe the hype and will continue to freely submit corrections to TomTom.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesP2008 wrote:
If TomTom kept on supporting old maps then what incentive is there for old map holders to update to newer ones.
It's a very simple incentive - newer maps = newer updated maps! You have not received via Mapshare a single new road, junction, roundabout or anything requiring redrawing of the map, merely simple changes to speed limits, road names, traffic flow and turning permissions.

I will (happily?) buy a new map when I judge there is likely to be a reasonable amount of new drawing on it, not the cosmetic changes to one way roads, street names and (29/39/49mph!!) speed limits you're getting from Mapshare. I am not yet persuaded that IQ routing is of value; ALG (which doesn't come on sufficiently in advance) and Reality View (which blots out the map) both leave me cold.

Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Daggers wrote:
providing updates for old versions of the maps
You've lost me there. Unless you mean issuing Mapshare corrections that will work on older maps?

Yes, that's exactly what I meant.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If TomTom discontinue free MapShare downloads that doesn't necessarily mean they'll stop grabbing user corrections when connected via Home, or am I being cynical
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said already, I don't think they'll ever do away with Mapshare - giving you free downloads of insignificant changes does them no harm, indeed allows them to advertise something wonderful for you (how many people are fooled into thinking Mapshare is updating maps?) and the quid pro quo is they get corrections submitted by you. The easy instant stuff is cosmetic from their point of view, the really useful stuff is when you tell them there's a new road, roundabout etc, etc - they get free notification by you and millions of other amateur observers of something important to check and correct. If they get large numbers of reports of a new road, they can draw two conclusions - 1, there's probably a new road there, so send the map surveyor out to grab it; 2, a lot of people use that area/road, so it's worth dealing with quicker than my new estate roads.

Those Mapshare (and all other) downloads/uploads are under your control - you first need to click to update your GO, then you need to click to accept them. Right now, I click to update, but uncheck (or cancel) everything except a new Application update, the only reason I still connect to Home.

So TT can't sneakily get my corrections without my agreement, just as I have unchecked the permission to upload statistics of journey usage.

Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this just cutting off your nose to spite your face? If TomTom/TeleAtlas do find out the information through uploaded MapShare corrections, then there is at least a chance that they will ensure that these corrections get incorporated in a future version of a map.

If nobody tells them, then they can't do anything about it until the next routine survey van happens to pass that location.

Likewise with IQ Routing - it becomes more useful as more user information is made available to TomTom.

If everyone had the attitude that "I'm not going to tell Tomtom anything - it's their job to work it out for themselves", then it will take longer and longer before these improvements become worthwhile. And then more people will comment that the enhancements aren't of value, and say that it's not worth submitting the data in the first place.

It's going to become a bit of a vicious circle.
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats when we get mapshare seems to be down yet again! Don't even get me started on all the 29/39/49 road speeds i have now! I've even tried putting 31.5 31 31.25 speeds in to see if i can get the 30 but no! They must fix this! (i wont hold my breath tho) As for mapshare for major changes, i believe since tomtom will own the mapping company is this not a rouse to make there surveying easier and cheaper! i.e if a change is reported by many users survey that area first!!! then we see the change in next new map we buy! Bit sceptical i know, could we all be that easily fooled by a pot of gold at the end of the mapshare rainbow! Oh yeah i do still submit corrections hoping for that pot Laughing Out Loud
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikewall wrote:
Don't even get me started on all the 29/39/49 road speeds i have now!
You really have only yourself to blame (except for TomTom. If you disable the corrections you download to only ones reported by yourself, those will probably all disappear!

As for cutting off my nose to spite my face. There have been at least five map updates since I first reported that there is no roundabout and never has been at 51.45226, -2.41837 - it mysteriously appeared from nowhere and I reported that there certainly isn't one and never has been since at least 1975 and it wasn't on an earlier map. I have regularly reported it for a couple of years now. To no avail. Restoring it to a simple crossroads would be easy, I assume, using previous data. Maybe somebody with the latest map could tell us if it's still a roundabout? In the meantime, it seems that I verify out of the way cameras faster than Tom Tom verify road changes - and I'm an unpaid volunteer, not somebody employed for the purpose by TomTom/TeleAtlas. That correction is on a well-trafficked road A road, not a back street.

IQ routing will become useful (to me) if/when they have data for all the side roads which are supposedly National speed limit 60mph, but are so narrow and twisting that 25mph is too optimistic - TT sends me down them frequently.

carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I typed the info. correctly then it is where London Road, Bury Lane, Bath Road and High Street converge in Bristol, and yes it is still a roundabout.

Cheers

Carl
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update guys. I have the x40 version of navcore 8 running and can confirm that this DOES fix the 29/39/49 mph display problem. I assume its allowed to be discussed as the navcore isnt a paid for service and i AM running legal v7.20 maps.

iPhone 12

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: