Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Spurious audible warnings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Spurious audible warnings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tatsfield
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Spurious audible warnings Reply with quote

I have been using the speed camera database on my TomTom Go 300 for a year or so but since I started to use it I have had to put up with spurious audible warnings. I programmed the genuine warnings to use a particular tone but I also get the first tone on the list of tones coming on at specific points on the road where there are no cameras, or for that matter nothing else either. Since the tones are different, I can know which is a genuine camera warning and these also have a graphics warning. I have gone through all POIs and ensured that none have audible warnings applied, reloaded the original maps, reloaded the GPS camera data files and torn out all my hair but I cannot find what is causing the maddening spurious warnings. Any one got any suggestions how to eliminate them?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be the overspeed warning?
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they always happen at the same specific locations? If so, can you give details of one of these locations?

Which version of the camera database do you use?
Tatsfield
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I update every issue. I have just downloaded the latest but not installed it yet.

I haven't got an exact location for the local ones but there are a couple on the A338 Wessex Way through Bournemouth and at least three on the A338 continuing from there out towards Ringwood. There are genuine sites on this road including temporary camera site location, which I don't audible warn any more as there are too many beeps and bongs going on as it is!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite a number of genuine fixed camera sites on Wessex Way which I have seen and also several mobile sites on the A338 towards Ringwood - I have personally seen a mobile camera van operating on the southbound carriageway just south of the A31 junction.

By "temporary", do you mean "mobile" - we think of temporary as only for roadworks.

You didn't actually say which version of the speed cameras you are using. This is relevant because of the three versions (Single/Consolidated/Speed zoned), only the latter can truly identify the cameras you are talking about. The single file merely alarms for any camera (fixed, mobile, temporary, whatever and whatever speed). The Consolidated by type is a bit more specific, but the Speed Zoned Complete identifies every camera type and every camera speed so that you could tell us more details.

Are you following a "Navigate to" route and do you have your warnings set to "Warn only on route"? A problem with TomTom is that they are rather "wideband" in their recognition of cameras "on route", which means you are sometimes warned of cameras which are off route on nearby roads and of cameras sited on the opposite carriageway of a dual carriageway. For example, the Redlight cameras at Castle Lane West/East roundabout will warn me although I'm staying above on Wessex Way.

Personally, my experience of the Bournemouth/A338 area camera warnings is that I feel they are genuine, so more information from you would be most welcome to help us sort them out if necessary.

Assuming you are a regular traveller of the area, could you try to identify the cameras? If you tap to browse map, then tap the little arrow at top right, the map will centre at your location. Zoom in and tap the icon for the offending camera and it will show its ID (e.g. Mobile:21603@70 is the southbound mobile one on A338 a mile or so south of A31 junction which I have seen).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatsfield, you didn't answer Darren's question. Are you sure it's not the overspeed warning?
Samsung Galaxy S21
Tatsfield
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for not answering the question regarding overspeed. I did not think I had this feature on the TomTom Go 300. Plus the fact that I got this spurious warning effect at constant speeds over the limit. In France it happened all the time on the autoroutes south to Lyon.

I have the speed zoned version. but I can assure you that the difference between the spurious and the genuine warnings is that the genuine, including "mobile", (sorry for calling them temporary), always show graphics on the screen while the spurious are only audible and only the first tone on the TomTom's list and there are no associated camera graphic icons. There is no where in the TomTom management system to find and cancel this tone as it does not seem to be allocated to any POI.

I deleted all the speed camera files. I reinstalled the map files and installed a new set of camera files from a later speed camera file download but the spurious tones remained. I live with the fault as the spurious tone never applies to a real camera site of any sort and can be ignored. Except,of course, it adds to the noise level in the car and can be infuriating when, as on the A338, it goes off three times in quick succession for no real camera reason at all.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatsfield wrote:
Sorry for not answering the question regarding overspeed. I did not think I had this feature on the TomTom Go 300. Plus the fact that I got this spurious warning effect at constant speeds over the limit. In France it happened all the time on the autoroutes south to Lyon.

Hmm still sounds like overspeed to me, what version of firmware and maps are you running?

In Change Preferences do you have a Safty preferences menu option?

If so, is 'Warn when driving faster than allowed' or 'warn when driving faster than a set speed' ticked?
Tatsfield
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren, I never knew I had that preference and I didn't set it, as far as I can remember! But it was set and I have now disabled it. My next move is to break the speed limit to prove that it was the cause. Knowing my luck, I'll probably run across a new site for a mobile camera!

Meanwhile, thanks to all who took pity on me and posted in this thread. PGPSW is a great community.

Thanks

David Lewis

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: