Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Getting the Navigon 2100max to recognise new maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting the Navigon 2100max to recognise new maps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wellsi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Getting the Navigon 2100max to recognise new maps? Reply with quote

Hi,
Have uploaded some older Navigon maps and a Europe map (Europe_Q2_2008_MN65.map) onto the my 4 gb SDHC card for the unit.

However, even after resetting unit, only the pre-installed UK / ROI / Isle of Man maps show.
If I remove one of these 3, the unit shows that the map's gone. If I reinstate one of the preinstalled maps, the unit shows that map as available again. So maps are in the right place. Yet when I add these other maps, the unit ignores them.

When I hook the SD card up to the PC and fire up Navigon Fresh, the 'My System' settings DOES recognise the new maps... So why doesn't the unit itself?
Is there a configuration file that needs amending?

Any help appreciated
Cheers
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what your exact syptoms are, but a couple of thoughts (based on my 8110 - hope they're relevant to you!):

- to search for an address in a different country I have to select that country in a box at the top of the address input screen - eg if it is set to UK it won't recognise towns in France, etc;

- to navigate to Europe I have to make sure 'allow ferries' option is set - if they are NOT allowed, it says something like 'unable to calculate route';

Probably not what you are doing though ....

(another question - does your 4gb card have just map data on it, or is it a copy of the unit's card with Navigon system software plus Europe?)
wellsi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4Gb card is a full backup copy of all the contents of the original SD card; something Navigon actually recomend you do.

And yes, when selecting a new address, the extreme left hand tab has a picture of the union jack on it; when you tap that, it opens the Maps page, and you see the ROI and Isle of Man maps listed, but not Europe etc.

It's as if the unit has a config setting that tells it only to look for the preinstalled maps, despite the onscreen message stating that any other maps on the SD card will be picked up.

Ferries shouldn't make a difference, but that is indeed ticked.
cheers again
Ian
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get the "older" (what's this?) and "Europe" maps from Navigon? How did you install them on the 4gb card - presumably NOT using Fresh? The fact that it's an older map might be causing some confusion, especially if an 'unorthodox' installation was done.

I assume you still have the original card (just in case) - if nothing easier is suggested, and you haven't already tried it, I wonder if doing a Backup and/or Restore with the 4gb card might resolve any inconsistency (one way or the other!).
wellsi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maps are from an older navigon satnav (pocket loox) unit I bought 2 years ago that had all of europe maps included. Call me tight, but having paid once for all of europe, I was reluctant to spend €100 again to get an updated version of a map I already had... Smile

As such, the only way I could install them is to drag them onto the SD card into the Map directory. (Of course, I backed up the original 1 Gb SD card that came with the unit)

Looks to me that I need to edit one of the xml files... for instance, I stumbled across the 'day/night sunset delay' setting, which was set to 3600 (1 hour after sunset). Amending that has shortened the delay to dark mode. So I guess there's a settign somewhere that woudl ordinarily be updated by Navigon Fresh, if the maps had been bought and downloaded in the orthodox way straight from the website... It's might be telling the unit "only look for maps x, y & z"; and just needs to be told to look for more...
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELL! Thanks wellsi - looks like you've helped me a lot more than I helped you! Very Happy I noticed my night mode was coming on rather late, but just assumed that was life. I'll have a look through my backup files to see if I can find it and change it.
Jinxy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realise the maps your using are from an older and probably not compatible version of the software? The 2100max is running V7 not v6.5 so its entirely possible that the maps are not compatible at all and hence why its not seeing them?
wellsi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that may well be the case; the file name ends in a MN65, which may be reference to the 6.5 version.... So that's that plan stuffed I guess.. Sad
(Anyone know of a V7 western europe or France file, do tell).

Glad I helped you BigPerk
Look in the navigon / settings folder for the ApplicationSettings.xml file
Right click and Open-With notepad

Scroll right down the bottom; about 30 or 40 lines up from the bottom, there's the Sunrise delay (preset to 0) and the sunset delay (preset to 3600). Amend to say 1800 and save; Bob's your uncle.

There are literally dozens and dozens of other settings you can amend.
Obviously strongly suggest you make a copy of the xml file before you start hacking it to pieces!!!
Cheers

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: