Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Question about submitting mobile speed camera
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about submitting mobile speed camera

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanielBrookes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Question about submitting mobile speed camera Reply with quote

Hi,

I recently purchased a TomTom and purchased my subscription to the PocketGPSWorld database today. To try the database out I drove around my local area, specifically areas that I knew had speed cameras (Perm. and mobile) to check I'd got everything working correctly. In doing this I noticed a mobile speed camera location that appears to be missing from the database.

I've made an effort to read about the correct procedure to submit speed cameras, and specifically mobile speed cameras, and I would like some clarification.

The site mentions that verification and further sitings are required before a new mobile location can be accepted. My local newspaper prints the locations and days in which mobile speed cameras will be in force in the local area, and I've dug a few of these out confirming the location. I was wondering if these would be allowed and considered "proof" in the verification process of adding a new mobile site?

Would these be able to speed the process up?

I am aware that it can be a very hard and tedious job in order to confirm these sitings and, for future reference if nothing else (I am unaware if other similar local newspapers also carry this kind of information) was wondering if these articles could be considered "evidence".

At the very least for now I've taken a few clippings aside, incase they may be useful (Either to be scanned or sent somewhere).

Could anybody clarify where this stands in terms of the conditions set by the admin/moderators of this website?

Best regards.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How accurate are the locations supplied by the paper? An exact location or just a stretch of road?
DanielBrookes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, sorry - I hadn't thought of it like that (Not going to win any camera spotting awards with that kind of thought process [Or lack of!!] am I Razz Heh). The paper only specifies the road name/stretch of road. I suppose because I know the road, as soon as I read the road name in the paper I know exactly where the camera will be... But that's not much in the way of "proof", is it? The road (According to Google maps - Just checked) is only 0.5 miles in length but that's not particularly accurate I'd guess.

I have seen them in several positions on this road before but there is one specific location I have seen them on recently (I drive this road most days - Whether at Uni or work). As far as I remember from walking down there, it is pretty clear where abouts they are though... Almost a specific place for them if my memory serves me correctly.

If I remember I'll have a walk down there tomorrow to where I've been seeing them in the past few days and see if this corroborates the above (That there is a specific place they stop).
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many papers post locations such as this but they are never precise enough to be of any use to us. We require accurate locations and ask that any submitted reports are for actual 'sighting's of mobiles only.

Verification is naturally more difficult where mobiles are concerned but it's the best method we have found to-date. Each report has a validity period and if no further sightings are received within 12mths then it will be removed to ensure the mobiles database does not become clogged with old and invalid locations.

Please do report any sightings of mobiles though, every report is welcomed and they all go towards making the database the best as it is.
DanielBrookes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that's fair enough. Thank you for clarifying the details. I hope it didn't come across that I simply thought I'd got some sort of "special" info... Genuinely didn't know if it was common practise for these kind of details to be distributed in local press. I'd simply thought that (With cameras operating here for quite some time [I've only been driving for 2 years and I remember them operating long before that] and with some frequency) this one would have been documented already... But them I'm bound to say that when it's a road I use most days Razz Already with the PocketGPSWorld database I've found some portable locations flagged up literally within a few miles of my home that I hadn't known about before. Great stuff.

I'll do my best to try and get as much detail as I can about this location and submit it as soon as possible... Hopefully this is some use; And you never know... Somebody may have already reported it but simply waiting for more confirmations.

Again, thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanielBrookes wrote:
Okay, that's fair enough. Thank you for clarifying the details. I hope it didn't come across that I simply thought I'd got some sort of "special" info... Genuinely didn't know if it was common practise for these kind of details to be distributed in local press. I'd simply thought that (With cameras operating here for quite some time [I've only been driving for 2 years and I remember them operating long before that] and with some frequency) this one would have been documented already

Not a problem. Mobiles are very difficult to handle, some get reported many many times, others only rarely.

I know of two within a mile of me that operate weekly but that I have never seen, why? Because they operate during the morning school run only. As I work from home I'm rarely in the car at that time.

Similarly we get 'doesn't exist' reports for mobiles from users who say they have never seen it in 5 years and drive that road daily. If the camera operates from 2-3pm whilst they are at work then they never will see it! Doesn't mean it isn't there though!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: