Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Using your Sat Nav whilst flying.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Using your Sat Nav whilst flying.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allengn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Using your Sat Nav whilst flying. Reply with quote

I have a Nuvi 250 which I use both in and out of the car. Also a fairly basic model it does all I need and have no requirement for traffic alerts, MP3 player etc.

I do a reasonable amount of flying around Europe, and being curious where I am when travelling at 30+ thousand feet, I have started to use my Nuvi to help me identify towns, roads etc. that I can see. It certainly makes flying more interesting and is far better than the rather pathetic 'maps' some airlines display.

I have now done this a number of times, in full view of the airline staff, and no-one has told me that I shouldn't be using it in this way.

So it started me thinking, has anyone else ever used their Sat Nav to monitor where they are whilst flying? If so, have you ever been advised by the aircrew not to use it? Also is it safe? In my view, as it's only receiving data from the satellite's, there's no risk to the planes electronics (after all the plane is also receiving the same information).

Interestingly my Nuvi now shows the maximum speed attained as being 518 mph!

Any other views / opinions welcomed.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there has been quite a lot of chat about it on the forums, and I think for a while there was an unofficial competition to get a photo showing the highest speed!

I used my Go720 on and off during a whole flight from Spain recently and saved lots of favourites which showed the quite amazing loop over the south east on the approach to Heathrow.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a frequently asked question and my advice remains the same nowadays.

Given the current security climate, unless you have sought the approval of cabin staff my advice is that you should NOT use or operate a sat nav device in the aircraft cabin. Sadly, because cabin crew cannot be expected to know the purpose and operation of every electronic device, invariably if you do seek permission it will be denied.

I imagine very few airlines will now specifically allow the use of such devices, in fact I know of none that currently do. To the contrary, a great many specifically forbid their use and state this in the in-flight magazines and on other conditions of carriage.

I realise that the use of such a device constitutes little or no risk to the aircraft systems and having used them in the past it is great to have a track of your flight path, speed, altitude etc, BUT, consider what would happen if another passenger were to observe you holding a sat nav near the window and panics thinking it is something more sinister?

You may receive only a gentle admonishment and be asked to switch it off or you could be dealt with rather more severely. I don't fancy the thought of a reception committee of local police on landing. Food for thought?
allengn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren.

Thank you for your prompt and well considered response.

Unfortunately, I think the observation and commentary you have provided has to be the prudent approach, even though we all suspect (and I guess some of the more technically knowledgeable on here know) that there is no risk to the aircraft through the use of a Sat Nav.

I must admit I've never specifically heard them mentioned, and don't recall reading about them in the in-flight mags, but that doesn't mean the messages were not there.

Lets hope that the airlines improve their own systems. Interestingly I flew on Air Berlin recently and there information display was excellent, providing a 'view' out of both the left and right windows of what you would see if it were a clear day.

Also my apologies for not checking first whether there had been other discussion son this topic.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're probably right that if you specifically asked about it they could well play safe and say no, but so long as you obey any announcements about as and when to switch off electronic equipment (during landing etc.) it's not going to do any more harm than all the laptops, NintendoDS's etc, and a lot less than the mobile phones that will soon be allowed (and I bet a lot of people forget to switch off anyway!)
I made a point of being very open about what I had, so the flight attendants could have stopped me if they had wanted to, but they didn't seem bothered at all. I used it to play games during the flight too!
7andy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We flew Swissair over Christmas, and their website specifically mentions that you can use your GPS receiver (as long as it's not Bluetooth), but not when taking off/landing, or when requested not to by cabin staff. I used mine, and though the 'trolley dolly' glanced over at it, ignored it. Never got a lock though 8-(

Apparently, a number of other airlines have the same policy, so perhaps it's best to check their website first.

7&Y
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps we ought to make this a sticky and add those airlines who have used common sense to the list!

I can add that the following explicitly forbid satnav's Sad

Virgin Atlantic
British Airways
Air Berlin
United Airlines
Easyjet
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using electronic devices during take off and landing is a no no. The Aircraft electronics rely on a huge range of RF frequencies, and during take off and landings the instruments need to be that much more accurate than at other times, and time for the pilots to detect and correct for errors is that much shortened than when cruising at 30,000ft. Theres not a lot of cumulusgranite at 30,000ft

All electronics radiate RF energy to various degrees. That radiated energy is supposed to be below certain limits to prevent interference, but not all manufcturers manage to achieve it all the time, hence the need to turn off your toys at certain times.

So if you are allowed to use a PDA or laptop, you should be able to use your GPS.
danielbb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan seem to be fine with this in uk, just not at take off and landing.

Can anyone recommend good software to use for this type of application, im using a PDA.

Thank you.
danielbb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used IGO myway 8 on my loox 510. Best car navigation software ive used, records routes and can export them, signal was great near the window, my maximum speed was 654mph and an altitude on 7.5 miles Surprised Flight FR1248, birmingham to oslo on a ryanair 737-800.

To hide at take off and landing, i just put it up my sleeve facing the window and put my chin on my hand and looked out of window. Before anyone moans at me, my Pda has no wireless functions at all, and you can use mobiles on ryanair flights now, £2 a minute though!!!! and anyone watch the mythbusters episode on this precise myth.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Minimum Altitude: -472 ft"

....Seems a little worrying! Shocked
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use a PDA type unit on a flight as long as it is in flight safe mode the whole time. However all electronic equipment, even those with flight safe mode and MP3 players, has to be switched off when taking off and landing.

I tried my Touch Diamond with TTN6 whilst flying with BA (short haul, Edinburgh to Gatwick) the other day. When I first switched it on TT6 warned me that it was in flight safe mode, but then locked onto satelites quite quickly. The flight crew were happy with me using it until the captain switched on the seatbelt signs for landing, and then they asked me to switch it off.

It was interesting showing a speed of 450mph and being warned of mobile cameras for 30mph!
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
You can use a PDA type unit on a flight as long as it is in flight safe mode the whole time.

Not if the use of GPS is explicitly forbidden, this is the case on many airlines, flight safe mode or not.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

To quote directly from BA's website (which was one airline you suggested in an earlier post does not allow GPS)

"Devices which have a specific "flight mode" or "flight safe" setting, e.g. some Smartphones and newer Blackberry devices, may be used in flight provided the flight safe mode is selected. These devices must be completely switched off during take-off, approach and landing.

Electronic games, iPods, iPaqs, small radios, tape and disc players, miniature television receivers, GPS receivers and similar entertainment equipment have negligible effect on aircraft systems and may be used during flight, but must be switched off during take-off, approach and landing."

Not sure of other airlines, but certainly allowed on BA.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification Peter. Perhaps they are finally becoming more enlightened! I confess I haven't looked at the current rules as I'd got fed up with finding them explicitly prohibited time after time.

Good to hear though.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: