Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - v720 Australia map and ASR
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

v720 Australia map and ASR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stewart166
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: v720 Australia map and ASR Reply with quote

Hi all,

I first posted this question on the Navcore 8 thread but got no answer, probably because it was not the best place for it, and also because an unrelated argument broke out shortly afterwards.

I recently updated my Australian map to v720 and shortly afterwards downloaded Navcore 8.010. I then realised that Automatic Speech Recognition had stopped working. Since some but not all other users had problems with ASR after upgrading to 8.010 I assumed my problem was the same. Then I realised that I had not used the ASR before updating the application. So maybe I was wrongly blaming Navcore 8 - maybe it was the map.

Comparing the new 720 "Australia" folder with the backed up 715 version, I found a file called "cspeech_AUS.dat" in the old one which was not present in the new one. When I copied it into the new one the ASR icons were no longer greyed out. Selecting them appeared to work properly, ie it went to the voice input screen. However when I speak into it it makes a rude noise and says "input not recognised".

So clearly (a) this file is needed for ASR to work, (b) it was not present in the v720 map download, and (c) it is version-specific, ie the version from 715 is incompatible with 720.

I have raised this with Tomtom support and received no answer as yet, but will advise the result.

Meanwhile, are there any users out there who have updated to Australia map 720 and find they can use ASR?

cheers

Stewart
Stewart166
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I waited for several weeks and got no response from TomTom. I tried again and this time I got a response fairly quickly. Alas it was basically "we do not intend to provide this service in Australia, although we might in future".

I quote the final part of the exchange below.

Quote:
We certainly agree that this is a frustrating matter finding that a function that was previously possible is no longer possible in our software, however, on the basis that speech recognition is reliant on the map data you are using with the GO 720, please be aware that the 2008 map is a completely different map version to the initial map that shipped with your GO 720.

Speech recognition itself was never officially supported in Australia and shouldn't of been available to use in your previous map version either. For this reason, unlike in Europe and North America where the feature IS available, it was never advertised in Australia to work. Instead it was a feature that TomTom will implement in the future. After all, for TomTom, Australia is as new market.

I have discussed this case with our technical department to see if there is any possible way we could find you a work around under the circumstances and we are afraid it will not be possible to re-enable this feature for you currently as there is no speech recognition function available for the 2008 map. We stress this is due the 2008 map data being used, not the model TomTom you are using.

The feature will be supported in the future in the form of an update.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just say I'm sorry to see you didn't get any joy here in that time - perhaps it's an indication of how true it is that TomTom are entering a new market in Australia - presumably they still haven't sold enough for your problem to be experienced by others on this forum. I have to say I'm baffled that they have different versions working and not working - I'd have thought a 720 is a 720, is a 720 and that a map shouldn't go backwards (Hah - what am I saying, I'm naiive!!).

Let's hope you can get better help with your next visit.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, the NA 720 model was NOT supposed to have VR either (unlike the European model). It was only after a 'hack' was discovered that involved a combination of: (1) NA map of at least 7.10 (2) firmware of at least 7.481 (3) and a support_asr.dat file containing only a 1 in it and the file plaaced in the asr folder that VR did work. Finally, the latest units released by TT to North America DID include VR out-of-the box with no file hack required; later, TT said that was a mistake at the factory and even these units should not have gone to N America.

Anyway, there was a post here or in one of the US forums by an Aussie some months ago who stated, if I remember, that **only** version AUS map of 7.05 (I think) and firmware 7.221 combined for VR and the two map updates at the time (7.10 & &.15, I guess) killed VR.
Stewart166
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Can I just say I'm sorry to see you didn't get any joy here in that time ...

It was my fault - I asked "are there any users out there who have updated to Australia map 720 and find they can use ASR?"

Clearly there weren't any, hence no replies!

Should ask a less specific question next time. Smile
tbone8599
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: asr missing spoken address input Reply with quote

i have recenltly upgraded both the application and map version to v8.010 and v810.1907 western europe on my tomtom 520 .
however when i rebooted the tomtom found the the spoken address and spoken address dialogue icons where both missing from my tomtom menu.

after much tinkering with the files from my older map version. i found that if you delete your current contents of the asr folder and replace with your original contents(from first back up copy) to the asr folder.
this should reinstate the spoken address features.

its worked for me![size=18][/size][size=24][/size][size=18][/size]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: