Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A couple of Mapsonic/Palm Questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A couple of Mapsonic/Palm Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennyL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: A couple of Mapsonic/Palm Questions Reply with quote

I've just bought Mapsonic, and am really enjoying using it.

The manual doesn't say anything about the size of the files that one creates when one makes selections in Mapstore. I assume that one has to be sure that the resulting Palm file is smaller than the amount of free RAM that one has. I can't imagine it being any other way, but in some discussions I've read some people refer to selecting huge geographical regions, and I wonder what file sies they are working with.

My other question is: in the File>open dialogue there is the option to select 'CARD1'. I have map files on my card (which is called 'CARD2'!), but it doesn't find them; but then there is nowhere in Mapsonic that I've found to tell it where they are. so where must one put map files of one's card for Mapsonic to find them?
bgulien
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The filesize is dependent of the free ram you have left on your Palm (which is small) or your card.
I use 256 Mb cards and still you cannot get the whole of britain on this.
I think it's an ommision of Mapstore to not show you the sizwe before you export it.
It takes a lot of experimenting to cut the region to the size you can export.
Once you have done that , you click the export to pda button.
Then you go to the Palm Sync programme where you can choose where you want the maps to go.
Have the card in the Palm and you can choose the card as the repository of the maps.

I have several cards with different regions on them and when you open Mapsonic you can see the card in the window. You choose the card and you're in bussiness.
Hope this answers your question. Else let me know.
DennyL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all that, Bgulien. So far, when I've defined maps I want to install on my Palm I've said 'No' when Mapstore asks whether I want to install them on the Palm because it says it will delele them from the desktop, and I want to keep them there as the main depository of my maps. I then copy them to the the card with Card Export, or my card reader or whatever. So of course Mapsonic doesn't know where they are. Can you tell me where it puts them?

I saw a discussion on www.gpspassion.com (a French site) about long route calculation times. Someone said that when you have a map of the whole of France it takes, like, six minutes to calculate a route. Well, I carved out just the Paris region and it is 33Mb, so I can't imagine how you'd get all of France into Palm RAM.
bgulien
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DennyL,

I really don't know where Mapsonic puts the file.
If you look at the card from PalmOs it's giving nothing away. Probably hidden files.
Maybe someone with more knowledge of PalmOs knows something about it?
The whole of France is about 300Mb (give or take a few) so you never be able to put that in the Palm. You need at least an 512 Mb card.
It takes forever to export it and I can imagine it takes forever to calculate a route between 2 points.
I am located in the Netherlands and a calculation between 2 points takes about 2 minutes. And that's a small country.
Mspn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: A couple of Mapsonic/Palm Questions Reply with quote

DennyL wrote:

My other question is: in the File>open dialogue there is the option to select 'CARD1'. I have map files on my card (which is called 'CARD2'!), but it doesn't find them; but then there is nowhere in Mapsonic that I've found to tell it where they are. so where must one put map files of one's card for Mapsonic to find them?

In a directory called Mapsonic_Maps on the memory card. Also, you have to choose to save the file as .fdp when exporting from MapStore. Apparently the fileformats are different if the map is stored in RAM (.pdb) or on memory card (.fdp).
browman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In practice I've found that multiple small maps are better than one large one. You can make one up that contains all of england and wales, but then the application slows down to an absolute crawl. Best to stick to 2-3 counties at a time, especially around major cities. I make up custom maps if I know I'm going outside of the local area, with a corridor highlighting the main route.
Batchpad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: HELP - OUT of Memory Reply with quote

Please can anyone tell me what is the max file size which can be viewed on a T/E?

I have version 1.3 and want to load England onto it but keep getting the error - not enough memory.

Also, if the map is split down to 2-3 counties how do you calculate a longer route?

And finally, does anyone know a gps feceiver which works with the T/E?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Honda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reply in your other post.
Batchpad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Honda
Cacus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

On the subject of calculation times, if on the palm you go to file>parameters, then you can change the Calc. Extent to Limited. This will cut down on calc times, and still seams to give you the most direct route.

Steve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: