Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I've been dumb!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I've been dumb!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: I've been dumb! Reply with quote

Nothing new in me doing stupid things I assure you!

Somehow I have left my fortuna clip on switched on overnight and of course the battery is now flat - nipped home at lunchtime to collect my charging leads as i did not have them with me. Plugged into car fag lighter to get some power on the 10 minute journey back and also tried to connect to my PDA (HP 2210 - TomTom 3) but the Fortuna light stayed resolutely red. Now I realise that this was a "cold start" but I thought that the quoted time was on 45 seconds or so, but it not only didn't even though I waited around in the car for more than twice this time, and then drove to work with the unit on (and cigar charger on) and still not sat lock - clear skies all the way.

I now have a few questions to ask of the audience if I may?

1) Have I or may I have damaged the unit in any way?

2) How long should it take for the unit to re find the satellites etc in a situation like mine?

3) should the unit still find satellites and still usable to navigate with with the power lead in?

4) Can't remember how long the the full charging time is, anyone know?

5) can someone please assure a panic stricken me that all will be OK? (wife will flay me alive if I have broken it)

Many Thanks for any help

Steve
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

1) No, you should not have damaged the unit. Don’t forget that you can take the battery out so at that point it’ll be without power anyway. I’ve purposely let the battery fully discharge.

2) I think it’s around the 15 to 30 minutes period, although it may be actually a lot quicker. I switched my unit on after a full discharge and recharge and it got a satellite fix in the time it took me to make a cup of instant coffee.

3) Yes, they provide a car-charging/power lead so you should be OK. Although it’s best if you’re stationary whilst you’re waiting for a fix before you start your journey.

4) 2.5 hours give or take a few minutes.

5) DON’T PANIC! It’ll be OK. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert

You are a star - answered all my questions and I especially like the answer to number 5 (phew!)

Sorry for the silly questions, but I have only had the system for 4 days and could not stand the reaction from my wife if I can't get it going again (like most blokes I look for the quiet life when dealing with the ladies in our lives!!!)

Should have realised that of course the battery is removable and therefore there would be no power when out!! Doh! Embarassed

Hope to have all working again this evening as I am out and about tonight

Thanks Again

Steve
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

Glad to be able to help! ;-)

There’s no such thing as a silly question on this forum. 8)
I’d better quantify that last statement - as long as the question relates to the topics of the website. Thumbs Up

You wouldn’t mind letting us know that all is OK after you’ve tried the unit again?

As I’ve got a problem with the battery life of my Clip-On unit. I can charge it until the green light comes on so I know that it’s fully charged. I can then go on a two-hour journey. I can leave it switched off for a few (four) hours and when I get back in the car and switch it on again I find the battery very low and it powers down a few minutes later. This doesn’t happen every time, but it’s annoying. I’ve emailed the supplier and I’m waiting for an answer.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure I don't mind, I would be happy to let you know

I got my unit on Friday last week along with all the other hardware and, because my supplier "helpfully" neglected to send the TomTom software in the pack, I had little else to do that day other than charge everything up and read the Ipaq manual (in retrospect not actually a bad thing.

Software arrived on Saturday morning and I installed and tried to get the thing working, after an hour of messing about trying to get the Bluetooth to talk to each other i messing with the ports and sort of accidentally landed on the Bluetooth port 8 setting and everything leapt into life (A word to manufacturers/retailers here - send some flipping documentation covering these matters, I am fairly techy when it comes to computers but know all about GPS (learning faster each day!) - I pity some poor sod who expects it all to work "out of the box"

Anyway, apart from a problem with TomTom 3 after updating (see other postings on the TomTom forum on this website) I have had no trouble whatsoever. Power wise I have not needed to plug in the Fortuna at all, until now so it would seem mine holds the charge overnight very well and then works with all green lights the next day.

Mine is on charge by my desk now the red light glowing brightly - should that change colour when it is full? If I unplug the charger and switch on the light is green as it should normally be (except the Satellite light is red/orange - need to get ba new fix as discussed) - Bluetooth light flashes awy merrily when I connect with the Ipaq but still no fix (probably because I am indoors, will get this sorted out this evening

Hope all this info is helpful?

Cheers

Steve
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

If you can charge the Clip-On unit near a window, then it might get enough view of the sky to get a satellite fix if you were to switch it on. Which would save you a bit of time when you get back to your car.

If the unit is on-charge and switched off, the LED glows red. Once fully charged, it glows green. I haven’t got my manual with me in the office, but I think the LED glows orange if the unit is charged whilst it’s switched on. Although don’t quote me on that! ;-)

I’ve just switched on my unit and the battery is as dead as a Dodo again, and about as useful! It’s a good job that I have a wired GPS as a back up.

It’s almost as if the “off” switch doesn’t power it off, even though the indicator lights go out. If you’re unlucky enough to have a unit like mine then you might have actually switched it off overnight but when you cam to use it you found it completely discharged.

So I’d be interested to know once you’ve fully charged it, have used it tonight, and you’ve come to use it the next time whether it’s retained its charge.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert,

Yes it is near a window but it is a bit thick and is double glazed - will try it anyway but not expecting big results.

You are correct the light glows orange when the unit is switched on a charging

No, in my case the thing switches off fine it was just myself being a bit dumb and not switching off properly last night as when I looked at the unit it was switched on, and of course battery was dead

One little detail - if I unplug the mains and switch on (in ST mode) I get a green power light and and orange satellite light (I thought in ST mode this light should be red???) and I get exactly the same in XT mode.. Hmmmm

Will make sure I come back to you with my results

Cheers

Steve
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now getting very worried - I just cannot seem to get the green (got a fix) light to come back on again - I have charged the unit fully, I have removed and then re fitted the battery, I have tried ST and XT modes but Nothing!!

Strangely (as I said earlier) the Power light is glowing green (as it should) the Bluetooth LED is flashing blue when I attemopt to connect (as it should) but the centre LED which when I am in ST mode should be either red (no Fix) or Green (fix) is glowing orange which is what it should be for XT - yet I am CERTAIN iI have swtiched it back to ST mode (have tried swtching it backwards and forwards a few times to verify this)

Help! I just don't know what to do now (Back in Panic mode!)

Steve
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<Panic Mode off>

Finally I got a fix in XT mode in my back garden - weak but there, switched off and changed to ST mode - no fix but back to a red light when in this mode, I knew then that all was looking better, I went to my car and set off on a journey and within 100 yards had the two green lights and a merrily blinking BT blue light - Yippee

All seems to be well with the world again - don't know what could have made you think I was worried all this time!!!! ;-)

Cheers for the help - especially Robert

Steve
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

That is excellent news! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I’ve only just switched on the home PC and I was just about to paste in some more ramblings that I’d written on the subject in MS Word, when I found that you’ve fixed it! :D

Welcome to the world of SatNav, you’ll wonder how you ever managed without it. 8)

You’re also one of the first users of TTNav3 (can you tell that I’m jealous? Mr. Green As the upgrade is only available in April some time) so you’ll be able to advise us of all the new features.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert

I would be more than happy to answer your (or anyone else's) questions about TomTom 3, but perhaps if that is so we ought to start a new topic in the TomTom section?

Bear in mind I am somewhat of a beginner so you would have to tell me what you need to know and how you currently do it so I can try it out for you and report accordingly.

I have sent you a private message with my email addresses on it for any private queriews you may have

Cheers

Steve
Jackcg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a bit of idle gossip on this subject. I do everything WRONG when it comes to treating my clip-on kindly. It is NEVER switched off - it lives in the car - permanently strapped down on the rear window shelf - baking in sunshine, freezing in the winter. I have rigged a couple of extra fag lighter outlets from ignition switch accessories supply, one under the dash to power the iPaq and one in the boot for the Fortuna charger. So the thing normally completely discharges overnight but is working immediately I start the engine and get underway. I know the battery has a limited re-charge life, but as it is dedicated totally to in car use, this doesn't bother me, as it will work from the charger alone. In fact, I might try taking the battery out altogether. I also know that it is "best" to remain stationary until first fix is achieved, but I just bowl straight out of my drive and by the time I get to the bottom of the hill (about half a mile) everything is working nicely.

In short, I abuse my kit horribly - but it doesn't seem to mind.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: