Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bizarre problem with TT OV2 files and TT3 on iPAQ2210
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bizarre problem with TT OV2 files and TT3 on iPAQ2210

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector_Gadget
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Bizarre problem with TT OV2 files and TT3 on iPAQ2210 Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just wondered if anybody else has come across this problem.

I've been wrestling with this for the last two days solid, and the solution is so bizarre, I'm stumped!

About a week ago, I downloaded and updated my own PDA, an iPAQ 2210 and TT3.07 with the latest speed camera update - fine, no problems at all - just copied the relevant files into the map directory, and everything working as it should.

So now, my girlfriend (who's not the most technically savvy in the world!) says to me... ooh my database is obviously out of date, 'cos I spotted a camera today that wasn't on the database. Now, after picking myself up off the floor 'cos she's actually using the iPAQ I bought her, I said that since I hadn't updated it for about two years, it's bound to be out of date.

With that, she graciously allowed me to update the database for her (shes now doing bank nursing work all over the place, so has started to use the TT3).

Big mistake! I updated the database (using the same zip file I had just downloaded) and the system refused point blank to start up TT3 - just hanging with the pizza wheel going round and round.

Odd, thought I!

I've now been beating my head against a brick wall for two solid days trying to figure this out, and have only just come up with a solution.

Thinking that maybe something was corrupted I went for soft resets, eventually even going for a full reset and s/w reinstall - still the same.

Thinking I'd perhaps got a duff SD card, I tried various cards - exactly the same problem. Putting my SD card into her machine, TT3 worked fine, going vice versa, no joy, although the directories etc were identical.

Hmmm....

Was PocketGPSWorld playing difficult - was this some kind of new anti-piracy ploy? If it was it was damned effective!

I went back to a 2006 copy of the database on her PDA... worked fine.

Back to June 2008, and the problem arises again.

Hmmm...

Wondering if perhaps the addition of the new PMobile camera sites was now overloading TT3 with the number of POI files, I tried going back to just the camera type files.... worked fine. OK, we're getting close to a solution maybe... not ideal, but I can work around this.

Bit by bit, I added the speed zoned files back in... first the Gatsos, tested and working fine.... then the mobiles, tested and working fine.... then the PMobiles: OOOPS! big problems in little PC again.

Hmmm.....

Another cup of (decaf!) tea later, and vacantly looking at the screen again led me to an idea... the speed zoned file names were the longest file names in the directory.... so I shortened then, changing Pmobile to PMob.... HEY PRESTO! Problems solved!

Changing them back manually to PMobile and the problem reoccurs.

Can I explain this? Can I heck!

Maybe something to do with BIOS versions (although they are both on the same version according to the boot up screen), or a different make of SD Card (Mines a Kingston), the g/f's is a cheapy. Although if it was just that, I would have expected the blank Kingston card I substituted into hers to work fine as well.

So, has anybody else experienced anything similar?

Has anyone any explanations?

Can I ask for shorter filenames in the database please?!

I know the iPAQs and software are almost antiques now, but we like 'em. Mine has served me well for many years now with the PocketGPSWorld database running, even in my work van, alongside the built in GPS.

I might treat her to a new dedicated unit one day, but there's always something better just around the corner!

Look forward to hearing from someone with a possible solution.

Best Regards,

John.
Inspector_Gadget
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bizarre problem with TT OV2 files and TT3 on iPAQ2210 Reply with quote

Inspector_Gadget wrote:

+1....

(and the cam type/speed at the beginning too...)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Bizarre problem with TT OV2 files and TT3 on iPAQ2210 Reply with quote

Inspector_Gadget wrote:

Of course you can ask Laughing

Very odd indeed but given you are using v3 which is some 4 years out of date and hence no longer supported I cannot offer an explanation as to why this occurs.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Bizarre problem with TT OV2 files and TT3 on iPAQ2210 Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
+1....

(and the cam type/speed at the beginning too...)

You can keep asking but the answer will be the same!

There are many reasons why we do not wish to change the filenames and for the vast majority they are fine as they are anyway.

Any change to filenames would cause major issues for support, the back-end systems and would require all our guides and other packages that are built upon the current conventions to be adjusted.

Given our current workload that simply isn't feasible without a very good reason, and I've yet to see one!
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a few clicks this lightweight freeware will easily do the renaming for anyone in need. Although its no spring chicken it works under Vista. I use it frequently to batch rename tracks and downloaded Youtube music vids etc. I dislike underscores.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bizarre problem with TT OV2 files and TT3 on iPAQ2210 Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

You can keep asking but the answer will be the same!

After the last time I promised myself I'd only pop my head over the parapet when someone else asked first! Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: