Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Free map update?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Free map update?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pigsy10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Free map update? Reply with quote

I purchased a nuvi 255 from Amazon and registered the product today.
The registration information states that the unit first aquired a satellite on 17 June 08 and I am therefore not eligible for a free update.

Either the unit from Amazon is reconditioned second hand or Garmin have their facts wrong.
Mad
eyeQue
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just registered the Oregon and was shocked [and delighted] to see the fact - it first aquired the satellite the day I switched it on after buying it on eBay!

In five years and many Garmin units I had not seen that before!

I would therefore assume that your unit is not new as I doubt if Garmin got it wrong.

So you are getting a second hand unit and will lose the free update.

I'm not an expert but that is what I think. Confused Sad

Edit:-
What does worry me is, what else Garmin can get from the unit, software/location etc.
roadrunner69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Free map update? Reply with quote

I bought my 'new' nuvi 360T from satnaveasy.com on 8th Oct and had problems registering due to the unit already being reg'd.

Phoned customer support and they were (as usual, in my experience) brilliant. Turned out it was a non Garmin refurb. No Problem.

They registered the unit for me and said any problems with the new map update to get back to them.

I did have a problem as the unit acquired first fix April 08. Phoned back, spoke to the same guy who sorted the reg problem and 2 hrs later rebooted the nuvi with the Euro 2009 maps installed.

Thanks to Garmin customer support, in particular Mr Khan.

The info obtained by Garmin is from the GarminDevice.xml file on the unit.
Near the bottom is the line:
Ifix 554731548 /Ifix
This is the time in seconds since 1st Jan 1990 to the first satellite fix combined with a speed of +20kph? for 30 seconds or more (I am happy to be corrected on this)
Go to epochconverter.com to convert (add 20 years to the date)
Hope this helps

Dave
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take this up with Garmin, personally if I'd been sold a refurb as a supposedly new unit I'd be demanding a refund.
fdhadi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son purchased a Garmin Nuvi 710 from Motorworld on the 10th sept. When he registered it on mon 20th oct to obtain the free map update Garmin said the unit was first used 8/01/08 so no free update (60 day rule).

Got back intouch with Motorworld and the chap could not understand why we were annoyed. He said he would get intouch with Garmin and explain it had been a shop demo and ask them to give the update. We told him we had paid for a new unit and wanted it exchanged.

This unit was exchanged today for a so called new unit. Got home, registered it, guess what, first used 3/11/2007. Spoke with the chap again and his words were 'whats your problem'. So i told him what my problem was in not so many words. His reply was 'MOTORWORLD went bust 3 weeks ago so you except another unit or get nothing'.

Will go into the store in the next few days and try all the units even if we have to change models and pay to upgrade. I will not leave the shop untill i have checked with Garmin the first used date and that the unit is NEW.
pigsy10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I phoned Garmin support on Monday and was asked to send them my invoice.
Within a day they provided me with a link to download the map updates.

It takes a good 2 hours to download and update the maps, but it was successful.

Well done Garmin for an excellent service.
OEN360
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie alert - I bought my Garmin Nuvi 250 on 26th September 2008, would there of been a map update so far, and if so, how do I go about updating my unit? Thanks in advance.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have registered it on MyGarmin you should be offered the download when it's available.
OEN360
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did register my unit before switching it on for the first time and have just spoken to support re the upgrade. They requested seeing my proof of purchase first! I have now emailed them this and awaiting further instructions from them.

Edited to say: Map upgrade PKey received and downloaded..........takes sometime to download and install though!
fdhadi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorworld have now refunded the money to my sons bank account. We contacted Trading Standards about this and they told us:

A. That Motorworld Ltd were still trading so the business had been purchased as a going concern. This meant the new owners were more than likely responsible (or words to that effect) for warranties / issues.

B. Because the unit had been exchanged at least once, he was entitled to a full refund because each unit was not fit for purpose and was a used unit sold as new.

After speaking with the Motorworld manager and quoting a Trading Standards ref number, he agreed to a full refund.
My thanks go out to Trading Standards for the excellent advise given.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: