Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mem Map 5 Installation "problem"
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mem Map 5 Installation "problem"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogerTheDodger2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Mem Map 5 Installation "problem" Reply with quote

I have been using MM 2003 for several years and decided that as I had a shiny new laptop it was about time I upgraded to shiny new(ish) MM 5.
My copy of OS standard full GB arrived yesterday and instalation went as planed - or so I thought. During the install at the option of where MM is installed I opted as I always do to put applications on the D:\ drive. In this case D:\Memory Map. This new location was confirmed after I entered it in the destination box so I hit "Next" and the installation started. But MM was not installed in D:\Memory Map but in the default folder of C:\Program Files\Memory Map\OS5. This was the first time any MM product had been installed on the laptop so there was no "debris" in the registry to confuse matters. Over the next few hours and using another PC I have been unable to install in any folder other than the default. And I have tried every thing I can think of. So I decided to call UK MM tech support but they all go home at 4pm and the links to their support forum are down. The sales guy said I had no choice but to call back Monday. Very frustrating.

Has anyone else come across this problem or have you been able to install in a folder of your choice or have I just got a dodgy DVD?

Laptop is a Dell, Intel chipset, Intel CPU, Windows XP. Very ordinary. All other applications installed OK on D:\ drive.

Thanks

Roger
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to access the Memory Map Disk using Windows Explorer, use that to copy the maps to where you want them on the laptop, then in Memory Map point the map list at the folder location containing the maps.
I fail to see the problem with the drive letter though, its a laptop so it will only have a single hard drive, so the drive letter doesn't mean too much - Mike
GeoffC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is well known, it was reported on the MM support forum soon after MM V5 was released. MM V5 always installs to the default directory in c:\Program Files... regardless of where you specify in the installer.

The MM response on the forum was surprising: rather than correct the fault, they said that the option to change the installation directory would be removed in future releases of the installer!. Several new versions later they still haven't removed it. So there it is - they are adamant it will always install to c:.

Surprisingly it is possible to move the software files to a different place manually after the installation, and it all works fine, but you must change all the relevant MM registry keys to point to the new location (and of course update the desktop shortcut and Start Menu items).

Edit: note to Mike: in general the drive letter indicates a partition not a disk. If I had a laptop I would certainly partition the drive, at the very least separating the OS and user data into two partitions.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am well aware what the drive letters are for, but they don't split a single drive up, one hardware fail of the single HDD and you wipe out all the contents, irrespective of what drive letter, I prefer the multiple drive option in a PC for data protection - Mike
RogerTheDodger2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Its nice to know I am (probably) not going mad.

Roger

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: