Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie question on Mapshare and Latest map guarantee
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie question on Mapshare and Latest map guarantee

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrPharmacist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Newbie question on Mapshare and Latest map guarantee Reply with quote

Hi,

I've updated the Tomtom software on my recently purchased 730T and noticed that there is also a new map to download. Is this the only map version I am going to be offered to download, or is it worth waiting until nearer the end of the 28 days in the hope of a newer map? I guess it is unlikely a newer version will be released imminently, but it'd be annoying to find a new map released in two week's time!

Secondly, I notice quite a lot of POi mistakes that I intend to correct in Mapshare (Including that of my pharmacy Shocked ) Will any corrections I make automatically be coped over to a new map, or can I save the Mapshare correction, and copy them over to the new map? Presumably not as they may already be corrected in a newer version. I'm confused

Thanks
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can wait until near the end of your 28 days to see if a new map is released we have been expecting one this month but they have extended the map sale so its looks less likely now
What map version have you got!!
The UK users have just one shot at the updated maps also keep your receipt handy as the map update can be a bit temperamental and they may ask to see the receipt if you are unable to download it
Don't forget to back up your GPS in windows explorer rather than Tomtom Home
MrPharmacist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:

What map version have you got!!
The UK users have just one shot at the updated maps also keep your receipt handy as the map update can be a bit temperamental and they may ask to see the receipt if you are unable to download it
Don't forget to back up your GPS in windows explorer rather than Tomtom Home

I currently have v800.1762

Presumably the new map will only work with my new device and not any older devices.

Thanks for the Backup advice, I've copied the device's contents over to a folder on my network drive. Smile
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie question on Mapshare and Latest map guarantee Reply with quote

MrPharmacist wrote:
Will any corrections I make automatically be coped over to a new map, or can I save the Mapshare correction, and copy them over to the new map? Presumably not as they may already be corrected in a newer version.

No, Tomtom don't carry over any mapshare corrections between map versions, nor can you transfer them yourself when you upgrade maps.

For that reason, I used my LMG as soon as I could, before making any mapshare corrections. I have no idea when the V8.05 map will be superceded, but I would not place any bets on it being within 30 days.
gianipower
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive my total ignorance but how do you get a newer or updated map? and how do you know what one you have installed?.
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To find what version you have, tap on the main screen where the signal strength bar is. Tha should take you to the route summary screen, which on the right hand side gives you the version of your firmware.

Tap on the firmware version, and that takes you to a screen with hardware, software and map version info.

New maps are usually purchased using Tomtom home, but a new device usually comes with a free upgrade (called Latest Map Guarantee) which is valid for 30 days after the device is bought or first used.
gianipower
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnaks Jag I dont see any mention of the latest map on the website I know the person who gave me this would not have registered it as they have only just entered the world of the internet.

I have just read on the site that I am not entitled to the update SadSad.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What device and what map / version is installed to your device - Mke
gianipower
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtom GO.

App 7.163

GPS v 1.21

Map Great_Britain v390.0
gianipower
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have now got the latest map from Tomtom thanks for the help folks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: