Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hiya chums! GO 520 problems/GO 530
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hiya chums! GO 520 problems/GO 530
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mothballs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Hiya chums! GO 520 problems/GO 530 Reply with quote

I just wandered in, dazed and confused, in search of a solution to my problems with a shiny new TT Go 520 that isn't recognised by TT Home.

Having now had a bit of a read, it would appear that downloading an updated copy of TT's flakey software once I get home from work may be the answer and I'd be happy to keep you posted in that regard.

Any road up, you seem like a nice crowd, so buy me a pint and I'll tell you the one about the Tomtom and the dustbin.

Later chums,

Wink MB

Last edited by Mothballs on Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mothballs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there goes poor old Tom.

As the Go 520 had been reset more times than Evel Knievel's legs, I followed TT's instructions to the letter after downloading and installing the latest version of TT Home along an appropriate suite of other updates. Whereupon it completely knackered the device. Nice one, Tomtom.

What was that about working straight out of the box? You must have been referring to Dracula, because the Go 520 certainly doesn't.

No matter, because Tescos have it back now - and I have a Nuvi 710 to try and break.

Stay tuned...

MB
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome

Moved to the TomTom forum in the hope of a fuller response
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mothballs wrote:
No matter, because Tescos have it back now - and I have a Nuvi 710 to try and break.
So you swapped it for something else? or do you still have the troublesome device? - Mike
Mothballs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
So you swapped it for something else? or do you still have the troublesome device? - Mike

Actually, I whinged and whinged this evening until they gave me a refund for the TT, then bought the Nuvi 710 after the salesman nearly had an organism while recommending it.

However, having now looked at what other models are available, vis-a-vis what this one set me back (£220), it seems I may have been a little hasty in whipping out my wad.

I can feel a return visit to Tescos coming on.

MB
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is that the TT520 is an excellent device and it certainly SHOULD work "straight out of the box". Did yours?
If it didn't, then it must have just been a duff one. These things happen (with any bit of kit).

After playing with "Home".... that's another matter!
I don't think anyone here would say it is the best designed piece of software in the world, but having said that, thousands of people MUST be using it OK otherwise TomTom wouldn't still be market leader!

Personally I think you've made a big mistake not sticking with TT, but you'll find both TomTom and Garmin 'afectionados' here, so whichever you end up with, I'm sure you'll get plenty of good information and help.

(just don't expect it to be impartial! Laughing )
rugrat2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Mothballs ...great opening post.... Very Happy
Mothballs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Personally I think you've made a big mistake not sticking with TT...

Thanks for the Welcomes, chums. I thought the brass band was a nice touch. Very Happy

Hmmm... Following up on Andy's post, if I were to stick with TT - on the assumption that the one I briefly owned was a rare DOA - what will circa £200 buy me? I'm not too fussed about Traffic, but Bluetooth and FM are prerequisite.

Whilst I appreciate I have to jump in somewhere, we're sadly now approaching the end of the Summer, so should I maybe wait and see whether TT introduce a new pre-xmas range - or is that just wishful thinking? Any activity in t' rumour mill lately?

MB
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mothballs wrote:
what will circa £200 buy me?

Just under £200 will buy you a GO720 with Western Europe maps

Just over £200 will buy you a GO530 with GB & ROI maps

As it stands at the moment, though, the GO720 will only work with v7 software and v7 maps whilst the GO530 will run v8 software and v8 maps.

The mapping data on v720 and v805 maps is identical, but v805 has the addition of Advanced Lane Guidance and Reality View.

In my opinion, the benefit of ALG and Reality View is questionable because these features only show 1/2 mile before a junction - so if you're not already in the correct lane, it may be too late.

Perhaps it would depend more upon where you're intending to use your GPS - UK only, the GO530 would be adequate....whilst if you're intending to also use it on the continent, the GO720 might be more suitable.

As for when to make the purchase, it's always a bit of a gamble but with what's on the market right now, you have at least two units to choose from.

Also, with both the GO530 and GO720, the traffic receiver is available separately for around £25 and can easily be 'bolted on' at a later date if you decide that this might be useful.
Mothballs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks GPSF,

The Go 530 is starting to smell like a fairly good prospect, so just as soon as this overpriced Garmin has gone back home to Tesco, I'll do some ferretting and grab the cheapest 530 available locally.

On the other hand, Amazon is doing the 530, with free delivery plus an accessories pack, for £208 right now. The pack includes: case; strap; USB home charger; and a travel adaptor for use abroad - which will come in very handy with the UK/ROI maps provided.

Decisions, decisions...

MB
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 530 is a good device.

It does have an SD card slot, so if you were to travel on the continent at some point in the future, you could add the maps to an SD card...and make use of your travel adapter Wink

The built-in memory on the 530 is relatively small, but with the price of SD cards being so low, there is a way around it - but it sounds like that's not something on the agenda for the foreseeable future.
Mothballs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy,

Could you also advise me what limitations apply to the use of SD cards with the 530, i.e. type, size, speed, etc.? I've got more cards than Paul Daniels, but Sod's Law dictates that that I won't have the exact type required for optimum performance with the 530. Rolling Eyes

MB
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other Andy here...

Type: a decent, known brand. Sandisk and Kingston come to mind.

Speed: reasonably fast. TomTom have never been brave enough to tell us an exact figure. But any decent branded modern card will probably be OK now. Above a basic minimum, the card speed doesn't seem to affect the performance in a major way.

Size: The x20 and x30 models are the only ones able to use the larger capacity SDHC cards. TT recommend no larger than 2GB, but plenty of people use 4GB with NO issues.
Larger than 4GB is possible so long as you only want to use the card for music etc, not maps. The TT cannot WRITE to addresses above the first 4GB, but can READ from them fine.
Mothballs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Other Andy,

That's dead brill news, because I just happen to have a spare 2GB bog-standard Taiwanese SD I can stick up its jumper.

Now all I need to do is buy the device! Very Happy

MB
Mothballs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope I'm not treading on any toes, but I note that a reasonably enthusiastic review of the 530 was posted in the Hardware section over at The Register only this morning, it would appear.

MB

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: