Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New GTM firmware...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New GTM firmware...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: New GTM firmware... Reply with quote

At least for GTM-21s. Anybody tried it yet?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw it, installed it.

Isn't it just new subscriptions terms?
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Saw it, installed it.

Isn't it just new subscriptions terms?

Not sure - you often find the change log seems to be very, how shall I put it, vanilla, when in reality there are often more significant changes under the cover.

Plausible deniability and all that ;-)

I've tried it, now, and found no obvious differences, just wanted to see if anybody had found any horror stories, first.

And I have to say, whether it's an improvement in the signal, or whether it's me finding an optimal setup for how I set out the string aerial on my windscreen, but I am finding TMC reception is quite workable and seems to be showing reception the majority of the time. Quite a difference to when I first started using it.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And I have to say, whether it's an improvement in the signal, or whether it's me finding an optimal setup for how I set out the string aerial on my windscreen, but I am finding TMC reception is quite workable and seems to be showing reception the majority of the time. Quite a difference to when I first started using it.

Well i probably won't be using mine for another 3 weeks or so, but we'll see how mine does the length and breadth of the M1....

It's a bit of a pain because i can't use the 3.10 Firmware upgrade for my Nuvi 760T but as i was doing another test between 3.00 and 3.10 i managed to get this TMC update too. I assume now I've downgraded to 3.00 I'll still have the TMC update? Shame you can't skip the unit Firmware updates with WebUpdater and get the other updates (Bluetooth, TMC etc) without having to install the latest unit Firmware....

Or are the updates available as a manual download too, like the Unit Firmwares?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tested it in the garage. Seems a bit quicker in picking up a signal - usually if the TMC hasn't been used for a few weeks (I actually rarely use it) it can take 5 minutes to get a signal. Today took about a minute.

My TMC Software is 4.80 apparently if that tells us anything, however it didn't do the usual "Updating TMC Software" it normally does after previous updates (or did i dream that???)
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
It's a bit of a pain because i can't use the 3.10 Firmware upgrade for my Nuvi 760T but as i was doing another test between 3.00 and 3.10 i managed to get this TMC update too. I assume now I've downgraded to 3.00 I'll still have the TMC update? Shame you can't skip the unit Firmware updates with WebUpdater and get the other updates (Bluetooth, TMC etc) without having to install the latest unit Firmware....

Phil Hornby knows how to do this - it involves manually editing an xml file on your unit, IIRC.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Shame you can't skip the unit Firmware updates with WebUpdater and get the other updates (Bluetooth, TMC etc) without having to install the latest unit Firmware....

I usually let it download the unit firmware, and once it declares it is 'updated' and ready to do the next step, delete GUPDATE.GCD! (So long as there's no reboot, the GUPDATE.GCD doesn't actually get applied).

Quote:

They are, sort of, but they're not easy to find. I usually end up having to watch the network traffic, to see what WebUpdater is accessing. Sometimes 'wild guesses' at URLs, turns things up!
I notice that stuff shows up on that 'Perry' site, that have never been officially available elsewhere...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: