Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom HOME software downloads old map(?)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom HOME software downloads old map(?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveXIII
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: TomTom HOME software downloads old map(?) Reply with quote

Hello all. I'm experiencing an interesting problem, with which I would appreciate your help.

I have a TomTom ONE version 2. I went browsing on the TomTom website yesterday, as I was interested in a new set of maps. I entered my device details, and was told that map versions 7.20 were the latest ones available for my device. As I currently had version 6.6, I fired up TomTom HOME and got the credit card out.

First of all, I updated the ONE's firmware to the latest version (7.162).

HOME has a feature called 'Buy the latest maps', which interestingly doesn't (at any stage) give you the version numbers that you are buying. However, as I had just looked this up on the web, I continued anyway.

I purchased Western Europe and USA/Canada for a grand total of £74.90.

After waiting three hours(!) for both to download, I installed them, only to find that they are both versions 6.75.

I'm gutted. A whole evening taken up with messing around with something that should be so simple. As I also have Western Europe v6.60, this has really been a waste of time and money.

My questions is, should HOME have downloaded map versions 7.20?

I now have a support question open with TomTom. Anyone know of the likely result??

Thanks for your help. Dave.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can think of is your Home account is set to think you have a PDA i.e. TomTom Navigator 6 software, the version 6,75 maps are the latest maps for the PDA software. Have you ever owned the TTN5 or 6 software for PDA, and if so was it linked to your PC via TT Home?

You should have received the v720 maps for the PNA device though, if I were you I would give them a ring on 0845 161 0009 - Mike
daveXIII
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.

Just tried that number. Very busy. Will try again later.

Still a little perplexed as to how it all went wrong.

Am I correct in saying that when you purchase a map for download, you are entitled to unlimited downloads in a 12 month period.

Does this mean that I can just download a newer version whenever I want?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you can download the SAME map for 12 months.

Mike's point refers to the fact that you can only have ONE machine assigned to a particular email account. might that be the problem? Did you have a PDA or an earlier machine assigned to that account once?

Do ring rather than wait for an email response. Something (hopefully!) simple like this should be sorted out quite quickly (once you get through!)
They are open
Monday - Friday: 08:00 to 18:30 GMT
(every first Wednesday of the month: 09:00 to 18:30 GMT)
daveXIII
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe!! I did have an original ONE, but this was stolen Crying or Very sad

I reported it to tomtom who allowed me to use the Wester Europe map that I had purchased three weeks earlier with the replacement device (ONE V2 UK/REGIONAL).

Consequently, I had thought that these settings would have been sorted.

Also, the 'picture' of my device within HOME is the V2, and not the original black ONE. Not sure if this means anything though.

Thanks....
daveXIII
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got through to TT support.

Apparently as I had an old version of HOME, it downloaded the most recent version that it could handle - v6.75.

Other users should beware. HOME does not necessarily prompt you to update it, neither does it tell you that any purchases could be incorrect.

The version of HOME that I had also doesn't tell you whcih map versions you are buying, only that they are the 'latest'.

TomTom's initial response was that I had received what I had paid for!!

After explaining many times that I had paid for the latest maps, and not a minor incremental update of my existing ones, I was put on hold.

A small rant later and I have a refund of the 'old' new maps, so now I can buy the 'new' new maps.

Fingers crosses. Thanks for all your help.
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daveXIII wrote:
Just got through to TT support.

Apparently as I had an old version of HOME, it downloaded the most recent version that it could handle - v6.75.

Other users should beware. HOME does not necessarily prompt you to update it, neither does it tell you that any purchases could be incorrect.

The version of HOME that I had also doesn't tell you whcih map versions you are buying, only that they are the 'latest'.

TomTom's initial response was that I had received what I had paid for!!

After explaining many times that I had paid for the latest maps, and not a minor incremental update of my existing ones, I was put on hold.

A small rant later and I have a refund of the 'old' new maps, so now I can buy the 'new' new maps.

Fingers crosses. Thanks for all your help.

Good reason for not using Home and buying from the website.

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no option to use anything but the Home software to download and activate the latest maps, sure they do sell certain maps on SD card but this is a costly process and not without problems due to the map being locked to the card supplied and non of the operating system files needed for the device will be on the card.

I would create a new account with TomTom for your device using a different e-mail account, use the latest version of Home and re-purchase the maps, this time purchase a single map and make sure it all works BEFORE doing any bulk purchase - Mike
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
There is no option to use anything but the Home software to download and activate the latest maps, sure they do sell certain maps on SD card but this is a costly process and not without problems due to the map being locked to the card supplied and non of the operating system files needed for the device will be on the card.

I would create a new account with TomTom for your device using a different e-mail account, use the latest version of Home and re-purchase the maps, this time purchase a single map and make sure it all works BEFORE doing any bulk purchase - Mike

I bought my last map using the TT website rather than Home (you can then see the map version). it gives option of download or sd card. http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/select.php?D=1081&Language=1&P=1431

Mike - not sure if you saw this post or for some reason did not want to send me the file? http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=419418&highlight=#419418

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daveXIII wrote:

To be fair, if you buy from the website, as soon as you go to choose a map it DOES say:
Quote:

Please note: In order to successfully download a new map, please ensure that you accept the free upgrade to TomTom HOME 2.X and update the software on your device when prompted.

Also, if you try to buy through Home, Home should offer to update itself to the latest version. Did it not do that for you?
daveXIII
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, HOME did not (at any point) complain about being out of date.

Really annoying when you consider that tomtom aren't the easiest of people to deal with, and I honestly feel this is poor software design rather than user error.

Anyway, I now have Euro and USA/Canada loaded (both versions 7.20).

Happy days....
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daveXIII wrote:
I honestly feel this is poor software design rather than user error.

If you're talking about "Home", I don't think ANYONE here would disagree! Laughing

Still... glad you'll all sorted now.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: