Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advanced Lane Guidance Improvement ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advanced Lane Guidance Improvement ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turbo10
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Advanced Lane Guidance Improvement ? Reply with quote

Hi
When I first started using "Advanced Lane Guidance" I found it very good, the only criticism I had was the lane picture came on the screen only about 200 / 300 yards before the junction which when doing 60 / 70 mps only gave you a matter of seconds to visually check the picture and get into or make sure you were in the correct lane. The very same junctions today came on the screen 1/2 a mile before the junctions, giving me now loads of time to respond to any lane changes should they be needed, a vast improvement.
Have TT somehow done a mod on the notification distance or have I got something set different in the menu's ?? Has anybody else noticed this?

Turbo10
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible you didn't notice the picture until you were at the 200/300 distance?? I often discovered the picture there when I just noticed it as I was turning off or going by, and kicked myself for not keeping an eye on it earlier. Embarassed

Another thing is that 800 yards from the junction seems to be where this kicks in, but that TT maps seem to have a different idea of 800 yards from the junction at times - some junctions perhaps measure from the lane split, others from the start of the filter lane?

We've all noticed them coming up at 1/2 mile (800 yards). Some of us find that not good enough (and if you're doing 70mps - miles or metres per second? - you might find them a bit short notice too!! Laughing Laughing ) and we've turned the feature off, leaving us just using the Advance Lane Guidance feature which gives multiple lane arrows at bottom left of the Status Bar. We find that much more useful and the pictures just eye candy, which we think actually gets in the way of navigating.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least there is an option to turn off the pictures which just leaves the lane assist arrows on the display - Mike
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest improvement, in my opinion, would be to permananently remove the pictures, as they really annoy me. Even though I keep them turned off, they turn themselves on about once a week.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarV12e wrote:
Even though I keep them turned off, they turn themselves on about once a week.

Oh thank God it happens to others!! I thought it was just me and was beginning to think demented was setting in.

turbo10
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the still pictures are really good, not on every junction granted, but on some junctions it is a real help. I was on a strange junction today in Yorkshire were the motorway split and swept off to the left and then again in a matter of 300 yards or so, the motorway was very busy and it was possibly only Advanced lane that kept me in the correct lane avoiding me any last second lane changes.
My TT has changed the distances, I know this because the very first junction I used it on weeks ago the day after I loaded v8 maps only warned me no more that 300 yards away from the junction and I remember thinking that it was a little late, but today that same junction warned me 0.5 of a mile before.
Turbo10
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're happy with the still pictures, then that's great and goes to show it's a good move for TT to allow us to make our own customisations.

The only explanation I can think of for the lesser 300 yard warning is if you were driving more slowly than the TT expects for that junction - when I'm crawling along, I get 100/200/300yd warnings, but at speed, they turn up to 800yds. Just a thought - guessing around in the dark, really, don't pay me any attention!!

alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
If you're happy with the still pictures, then that's great and goes to show it's a good move for TT to allow us to make our own customisations.

The only explanation I can think of for the lesser 300 yard warning is if you were driving more slowly than the TT expects for that junction - when I'm crawling along, I get 100/200/300yd warnings, but at speed, they turn up to 800yds. Just a thought - guessing around in the dark, really, don't pay me any attention!!

Yes, warnings are definitely speed related.

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
JaguarV12e wrote:
Even though I keep them turned off, they turn themselves on about once a week.

Oh thank God it happens to others!! I thought it was just me and was beginning to think demented was setting in.

Not the only setting that gets reverted every now and then. The status bar and compass settings and name preferences revert to default, too every now and then. Usually after something triggers a hard boot.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's happened to me three times today at least - switched itself on again, reboots, wretched lane images come back again.

I'm trying my best to be a really nice person, all sweetness and light. But I suppose I must have been really wicked in my previous life and now I'm getting all this hassle to punish me. Crying or Very sad

cecilrhode
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
It's happened to me three times today at least - switched itself on again, reboots, wretched lane images come back again.

I don't think the problem is with the Lane Guidance, it's your unit rebooting. If you stop it doing that, your settings should remain.

I notice if I ever reboot my unit, some of the settings change - colour scheme, status bar preferences and others.

Why should your unit reboot?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cecilrhode wrote:
Why should your unit reboot?
Yes, that's why I mentioned reboots - it reboots and resets several things, including Lane Images. Why does it reboot? If I knew the answer to that one I could tell everybody else who asks!! For lack of technical expertise, I'll just offer the opinion that it's their dodgy software, or firmware, or hardware - which doesn't help understand it at all.

Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! I knew I forgot something: hard reboots also make it forget the POI warnings it's supposed to issue. At least on mine. How about yours?

And there's really nothing that would stand out as a cause. It doesn't reboot spontaneously, but sometimes just turning it back on will actually be a hard boot, as opposed to the normal soft resume, if you know what I'm talking about ;)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I lose the POI warnings, sometimes from a simple switch on, but mostly from spontaneous self-switch-on. It also happens to me every time I connect it to the PC (even though that doesn't fire up TT Home and I'm just using Win Explorer).

cecilrhode
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Yes, I lose the POI warnings, sometimes from a simple switch on, but mostly from spontaneous self-switch-on. It also happens to me every time I connect it to the PC (even though that doesn't fire up TT Home and I'm just using Win Explorer).

could it be any kind of vibration/bump/knock that allows the switch to make contact and thus switch it on?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: