Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin or Tom Tom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin or Tom Tom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1up2down
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Garmin or Tom Tom Reply with quote

No I'm not going to ask you which is best Laughing Out Loud

What I would like to know is if either Garmin or Tom Tom let you know when you make a wrong turn before rerouting you. Something like the Navman which tells you to make a U turn.
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about Garmin, but when you go wrong with TT, it will automatically, silently re-route you. If you have gone completely wrong, it may tell you to do a U turn after re-routing, but if you are only slightly wrong, for instance if you miss a turning, it will then re-route you before telling you to take the next left or right or whatever.

It is possible to be re-routed without realising it. Smile

P.S. I bought a Garmin once to replace my TomTom Classic.
After one weekend, I changed it for a TomTom 720 Wink

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garmin says 'recalculating' as it starts to do the business...

MaFt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a TT710, and sometimes it does get upset because I ignore its directions. depending on the situation I usually get a couple of "Turn around when possible", or "take the next left, then the next left". I ignore this and get another "Turn around when possible" - then a period of silence (a bit like the wife), then having recalculated, new directions.

Works quite well really, have the Clint Eastwood voice at the moment, and its "Turn around punk" that I get from him.
Very Happy
1up2down
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. From my experience using a cheap GPS I found that rerouting can lead you miles and miles out the way before getting you back on course. So what I'm looking for is a GPS that will let you know when you've deviated from the route you were on, rerouting you only if you choose to ignore the warning. From what you say it would seem that Garmin does let you know but not the Tom Tom. Hopefully this will help me decide which to buy. Shame Garmin does not have all the nice features Tom Tom has.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
From my experience using a cheap GPS I found that rerouting can lead you miles and miles out the way before getting you back on course.

If that's the best route and you have Avoid U-Turns switched on, maybe, but not always. Or if you know you missed a turn then you can do a U-Turn and it'll recalculate again probably taking you back on the original route.

Quote:
So what I'm looking for is a GPS that will let you know when you've deviated from the route you were on, rerouting you only if you choose to ignore the warning.

Well it won't give you an initial warning and only re-route after x miles / minutes / seconds but as i said above if it starts Recalculating there's no reason why you can't turn round and it'll then recalculate again.

Quote:
Shame Garmin does not have all the nice features Tom Tom has.

What features are missing from Garmin range that you want?
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1up2down wrote:
So what I'm looking for is a GPS that will let you know when you've deviated from the route you were on, rerouting you only if you choose to ignore the warning. From what you say it would seem that Garmin does let you know but not the Tom Tom.

It's one of the things I really missed when I changed from my i3 to a TT 720. If you intended to follow the calculated route it's useful to be warned when you've deviated from it.

But I did find I seldom took a wrong turn. The TT's spoken directions were much easier to follow, as the final turn instruction was much closer to the junction, so not so easy to misinterpret. Maybe Garmin have improved this now.
Samsung Galaxy S21
1up2down
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well so far I have only been comparing the Garmin Nuvi 200 with the Tom Tom Go 520. I only need UK maps and have to keep the cost down to preferably less than £200. As for some of the features, the FM modulator, traffic alerts, warnings if exceeding the speed limit, avoid part of route, street naming and multiple destinations. Of course, you can get many of these features in other Garmin's but only at a price I can't afford by the look of it.

One thing I would like to know though is does the Tom Tom have a security pin number lock like the Garmin.

What features are missing from Garmin range that you want?[/quote]
1up2down
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
1up2down wrote:
So what I'm looking for is a GPS that will let you know when you've deviated from the route you were on, rerouting you only if you choose to ignore the warning. From what you say it would seem that Garmin does let you know but not the Tom Tom.

It's one of the things I really missed when I changed from my i3 to a TT 720. If you intended to follow the calculated route it's useful to be warned when you've deviated from it.

But I did find I seldom took a wrong turn. The TT's spoken directions were much easier to follow, as the final turn instruction was much closer to the junction, so not so easy to misinterpret. Maybe Garmin have improved this now.

Yes it seems silly not having this feature on any GPS. We all know how easy it is to take a wrong turn especially on some of these complicated roundabouts. In Swindon they have one called the magic roundabout which has six small roundabouts around one central one. You find yourself going anti clockwise round them as well as clockwise. I doubt if any GPS could navigate you through that one. All it takes is one wrong turn and you can find yourself going through the city centre instead of on the ring road.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I upgraded from a TomTom Go300 to a Go720 with text to speech, I'm sure it started saying "re-calculating" as soon as I started using one of the TTS voices.
I then un-ticked a load of the voice options in an attempt to shut it up a bit! and it doesn't do it now, but I'm pretty certain it is there if you want it.

You can also see it recalculating, because you get the moving status bar at the bottom of the screen, which is fairly obvious.
1up2down
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very interesting. Can you check to make sure it does tell you it's re-calculating. What's displayed on the screen makes no difference to me because I like to drive without taking my eyes off the road to look at the screen.

Andy_P wrote:
When I upgraded from a TomTom Go300 to a Go720 with text to speech, I'm sure it started saying "re-calculating" as soon as I started using one of the TTS voices.
I then un-ticked a load of the voice options in an attempt to shut it up a bit! and it doesn't do it now, but I'm pretty certain it is there if you want it.

You can also see it recalculating, because you get the moving status bar at the bottom of the screen, which is fairly obvious.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall ever getting a "re-calculating" message while driving with a TomTom device, this warning annoys me with the Garmin units and I would have tried to disable it on the TomTom if it ever did it.

I appreciate this is something you would like but I don't think this is possible on the TT product.

Andy, Perhaps you are remembering what occured when you tried the "dark side" Laughing - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

Andy, Perhaps you are remembering what occurred when you tried the "dark side" Laughing - Mike

Ahhh... that's possible. Laughing
I'll try ticking all the boxes on the way to work tomorrow, see if I can get he TT to do it.
1up2down
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I don't recall ever getting a "re-calculating" message while driving with a TomTom device, this warning annoys me with the Garmin units and I would have tried to disable it on the TomTom if it ever did it.

I appreciate this is something you would like but I don't think this is possible on the TT product.

Andy, Perhaps you are remembering what occured when you tried the "dark side" Laughing - Mike

Thanks everyone. Having talked to the guy in the shop, he assured me that the TT 520 did tell you if you miss a turn. So I brought one knowing I can return or exchange it, and yes, it tells you to turn round before rerouting you.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: