Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I3 - maximum number of waypoints?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I3 - maximum number of waypoints?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
george_the_disco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: I3 - maximum number of waypoints? Reply with quote

I have a POI list from work which has 8677 poi's. This I have broken down into 152 sub categorys, but when loaded onto the i3 it won't regognise beyond about point 42 in any folder - there are up to 400 poi's in each folder.

So, how many poi's can I have in a folder? Garmin says 500 but this is obviously wrong; or am I missing something?

Help!

Chris
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll only show the closest 50 in any category. If you go to another town and look you'll see a different 50. So if you have a list BP Petrol Stations the i3 will only list the closest 50 to you at any one time.

I used to load 33,000 POIs across about 12 categories plus the Speed Camera Database on my i3 and all worked OK the length and breadth of the UK.

If this doesn't make sense or answer the question can you explain how you have the POIs arranged in more detail?
george_the_disco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Thanks but that doesn't really answer the question.

1) 8477 POI's in one Ov2 file
2) converted to a CSV file
3) Added in one lump to i3 and it only recoginsed the first 42 poi's and you couldn't search for specific pois beyond the contents of the 42.
4) CSV file broken down into 152 seperate folders using the first 2 letters of the POI as the file title (the POIs have an alpha numeric name tag of 2 letters, dash, 3 numbers, dash, 3 numbers. eg AA-001-001).
5) Added 152 files to i3 but it still only recoginsed the first 42 poi's in each file and you couldn't search for specific pois beyond the contents of the 42.

Any ideas?

Chris
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What firmware is the i3 running?

Is there any chance you can email the files to me and i can test here?

Also is there anything funny about the 43rd POI in each file?

When you load them how many POIs does POILoader report as being loaded?
george_the_disco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The unit is on 2.7. Nothing special about the csv files or the 42nd line. I have other CSV files which are bigger in size with far more POI's in them.

As for how many POIs after an upload; 50,150ish on the original 256 micro SD card. The machine doesn't freeze, it just won't find more than 42 POI's in the work related folders (it will find plenty more in other folders).

When uploading I have a file structure of 6 folders with 15 or so sub folders, with all of these work folders (152) & the speed cameras all loose in the file system - ie at the same level as the 6 folders. Each one of the loose folders has been uploaded, but only the first 42 POIs in each.

PM me your email address and I'll fling one of the files your way to check.

Thanks

Chris
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've loaded the file and it behaves exactly as i expect and exactly as has been commented here before in previous threads. When you go

Where To?
Food, Hotels and More
Custom Points

it lists the first 50 or so POIs in that file. This is normal. If you switch the GPS Mode to Off and set your location as somewhere else you see a different 50, because it only shows the 50 closest POIs at that point.

For example if i set my location as London i can see the following in the order they appear on screen:
TM-146-004 Bridge 107.2 Miles
TM-146-003 Lock 4 107.2 Miles
TM-146-001 Bridge 107.2 Miles

If i set my location to Middlesbrough i can see the following in the order they appear on screen:
TM-014-011 Culvert 103.2 Miles
TM-014-002 Culvert 103.2 Miles
TM-016-003 Aqued 103.4 Miles

All 404 POIs have been uploaded according to POILoader.

Quote:
(it will find plenty more in other folders)

What are these "other folders"?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact exactly what you described earlier and i confirmed as correct..

Quote:
3) Added in one lump to i3 and it only recoginsed the first 42 poi's and you couldn't search for specific pois beyond the contents of the 42.
4) CSV file broken down into 152 seperate folders using the first 2 letters of the POI as the file title (the POIs have an alpha numeric name tag of 2 letters, dash, 3 numbers, dash, 3 numbers. eg AA-001-001).
5) Added 152 files to i3 but it still only recoginsed the first 42 poi's in each file and you couldn't search for specific pois beyond the contents of the 42.

This is exactly what i see and would expect to see...

If you are in London and which to find a POI in Derby you must put the GPS Mode to Off (Settings, System, GPS Mode, Off) and then Where To?, Cities, enter Derby and select it from the list of choices. Then scroll down to Set Location and it'll place your location as Derby. The check the Custom POIs (The first attempt may say "No Matches Found" or similar whilst the unit reloads the file. Come out, wait 10 seconds and try again) and you'll see the 50 or so closest POIs to Derby. Select the POI you want and select Show Map. Now go back and switch the GPS on and you'll find the POI you selected in Derby is listed on the "Recent Finds" list and you can select it as a destination.

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this still doesn't answer the question can you restate using the following terms

Folder - A folder into which you can put files
CSV File or File - A file which contains POIs usually called Petrol.csv, Supermarket.csv or BW_TM.csv
POI - A single entry in a CSV File such as "0.146546, -1.2466, TM-006-008 Bridge" that gives the name and location of a single point.

as it gets a bit confusing when it says

Quote:
when loaded onto the i3 it won't recognise beyond about point 42 in any folder - there are up to 400 poi's in each folder.

I can't be sure if you mean
a) there are 400 POIs in each file
or
b) there are 400 files in each folder

in the opening post.
george_the_disco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...

"If you are in London and which to find a POI in Derby you must put the GPS Mode to Off (Settings, System, GPS Mode, Off) and then Where To?, Cities, enter Derby and select it from the list of choices. Then scroll down to Set Location and it'll place your location as Derby. Then check the Custom POIs...and you'll see the 50 or so closest POIs to Derby. Select the POI you want and select Show Map. Now go back and switch the GPS on and you'll find the POI you selected in Derby is listed on the "Recent Finds" list and you can select it as a destination."

Yes, that works exactly as you suggest, but what a pain! Is it a 'feature' of the i3 that you can't search through the entire list or is that standard thing for most satnavs?

Chris
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd say in response to that, being the i3 has some limitations in being able to show and do things. On sat navs with bigger, touch screens, you can more easily move around on the map and zoom in and out.

But I think you can find POIs near remote locations without necessarily having to turn the gps off (I only do that with the i3, if I'm indoors, and after a while it's going to mither about it).

I haven't got mine in front of me, but can't you just go down the choice of a location, but before you choose to navigate to it, isn't there an option to kind of "find near" or something like that so you can iterate the 50 POIs (in the relevant category) nearest that location?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I haven't got mine in front of me, but can't you just go down the choice of a location, but before you choose to navigate to it, isn't there an option to kind of "find near" or something like that so you can iterate the 50 POIs (in the relevant category) nearest that location?

Yes you can. I always did it the way i described because it stops it doing the "Lost Satellite Reception" when indoors...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: