Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - UK and ROI maps now separate??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

UK and ROI maps now separate??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
voice_of_reason
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: UK and ROI maps now separate?? Reply with quote

I was using a colleague's TomTom One with the v7.20 UK and ROI map (I'm still using the old v6.75 map on mine), and noticed that his unit seemed to be treating the UK and ROI as two separate maps.

Is this something new? You haven't always had to change maps to see street level detail in Ireland, have you?

Or is it only seamless on my old v6.75 map because I also have Major Roads of Western Europe?
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In what way do you mean separate maps. Though mine's slightly older (v7.10) and Europe (not UK+ROI), there is a new function when choosing where to navigate to etc.

For example, when choosing to Navigate to... City, you now get a little flag in the corner to say which country you wish to search in that wasn't there in earlier versions. It's not too bad with UK+ROI but was a bit of a pain with Europe maps where you may have to scroll down through names that were nowhere near you.

Just a thought.
Brodit ProClip mount
cecilrhode
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK and Eire are installed in the same map directory - they are part of the same map, but when searching for a place, eg, when browsing the map, you do choose where to look by selecting either UK or Eire as gerry says.

The Europe map v7+ is the same - you select the country first. v6 maps never did that and as a result, if you only typed 2 or 3 letters of the place name, you were presented with literally dozens of places with the same starting letters. By selecting the country first,the choice is narrowed and faster, and it also helps if you're not absolutely sure about the spelling - you won't choose a placename that looks correct but is in the wrong country (you may choose the wrong place but at least its in the correct country!)
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote
Quote:
but was a bit of a pain with Europe maps where you may have to scroll down through names that were nowhere near you.
You don't need to scroll right through the country list. If you start typing the name you will narrow dowbn the search. I just type an "F" and Fnland & France come up. If you type a "U" I think only the UK will appear.
voice_of_reason
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the replies. You were all correct - I was getting mixed up! I had another look at the unit, and it does indeed only have the one UK & ROI map (I checked under 'Switch Maps') - as you all rightly said, it was just the little flag when you're searching for place names that confused me!

Even with the UK selected, it makes no difference to how the map is displayed, and it still shows full detail for Ireland, so that's fine.

Think I'm safe to update my map now!

Thanks for your help.
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
GerryC wrote
Quote:
but was a bit of a pain with Europe maps where you may have to scroll down through names that were nowhere near you.
You don't need to scroll right through the country list. If you start typing the name you will narrow dowbn the search. I just type an "F" and Fnland & France come up. If you type a "U" I think only the UK will appear.

I think GerryC was referring to the town list, right? I was also welcoming this feature in the v7 SW. There could however be situations (fairly seldom though) where you know he name of the town but are not sure in which country it is located. But a bit of trial and error usualy solves the problem. It's good to see that TomTom adds some useful features in the new SW versions and not only gimmick features like the 'lane reality view'.

/Ulf
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the double post earlier Embarassed . I haven't a clue how I did it, unless it was using the back button and coming across the message for a second time. I'm certain I didn't press "Submit" twice. Perhaps a mod would be good enough to delete one of them for me. Clap Thanks
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
Perhaps a mod would be good enough to delete one of them for me.

Done.

When you find out what you did, just don't do it again Wink
cecilrhode
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a big improvement. I had Western Europe v6 and it was a pain to Find a place and either having to enter most of the name to be able to see it, or else scrolling through loads of places scattered all over Europe that were nowhere near where you wanted.

Selecting the country is a much better and faster way, and credit to TomTom for improving the actual usability rather than concentrating only on gimmicky visual impact

of course, we want gimmick and fancy graphics and impressive visual sensations, but thats second to actual working........ (isn't it?)
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uffe73 wrote:
I think GerryC was referring to the town list, right?

That's absolutely right. Looking back at my previous post, that paragraph at the end could have been worded MUCH better. Embarassed On v6, even when typing the first few characters, you would still get loads of towns all over Europe - now, with v7/8, the right one is usually within the first two or three.

Thanks for clarifying that for me uffe73.
Brodit ProClip mount

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: