Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Binatone A350 - worth it for TMC ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Binatone A350 - worth it for TMC ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swinghvn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Binatone A350 - worth it for TMC ? Reply with quote

Hi guys - newbie here !!

Ive toyed with buying a Sat Nav recently. I dont travel a lot , bar holidays , and the about 6 journeys up the M6 from Worcs to Manchester.
However, I do have a genuine fear of being stuck in traffic jams, so TMC sounded like a great idea.
We bought the A350 for a relative recently , and for the price it seemed a great little model. (especially for the infrequent traveller). There is a TMC option, so I thought thats for me !

However, after reading some of the threads on here, it seems that TMC is pretty hopeless - and we may as well rely on local radio. Is that a fair comment - or is there too much negativity on here !? Shocked

If TMC is my main reason for buying, is there any difference between buying a cheaper model than a more expensive one ?

Cheers in advance .
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never buy a sat nav primarily for the TMC function. I have had 3 or 4 sat navs over the last few years and there are 2 main issues' (1) Reception - can be very patchy and variable dependiong upon which model you have and (2) when you are able to receive the data is is often of questionable accuracy.

The problem with radio derived traffic info is often that by the time they report the hold up you are already in it!

I do use TMC (via GPRS) on my TomTom but by far the most reliable piece of traffic info kit in my car is my trusty old Trafficmaster Freeway which gets things right 90% of the time, especially on M-ways.

Put it this way, if sat nav tmc says there is a jam and the traffic master remains silent I stay on my original route, the other way around and I will usually take avoiding action.

The Freeway is no longer for sale unless you can find one on e-bay but there are newer Traffic master products around
Swinghvn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers perussell - thanks for that - it seems the radio is just as good these days then. Very sad when we have all these cameras and the technology to support it. I guess if it made the police some money, like speed cameras, then maybe it would work better ? .... Wink
pannonia75
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Binatone A350 - worth it for TMC ? Reply with quote

Swinghvn wrote:
Hi guys - newbie here !!

Ive toyed with buying a Sat Nav recently. I dont travel a lot , bar holidays , and the about 6 journeys up the M6 from Worcs to Manchester.
However, I do have a genuine fear of being stuck in traffic jams, so TMC sounded like a great idea.
We bought the A350 for a relative recently , and for the price it seemed a great little model. (especially for the infrequent traveller). There is a TMC option, so I thought thats for me !

However, after reading some of the threads on here, it seems that TMC is pretty hopeless - and we may as well rely on local radio. Is that a fair comment - or is there too much negativity on here !? Shocked

If TMC is my main reason for buying, is there any difference between buying a cheaper model than a more expensive one ?

Cheers in advance .

I have A350 and I asked Binatone, here you are a copy of the correspondence. I bought the TMC, and now I can hang it on the tree because I have 3 editing and TMC only works just for 1 edition, they hecked serial number and they told me that I have 3 editing.

"3 answer:
The TMC antenna was only available with the a350 1st edition. By your serial number you have the a350 3rd edition which uses different mapping and software. The website does mention *depending on country region, ** not available in all countries

3 my question:
Can you respond to what on your website:
http://binatonegps.com/gps/_uk/product_detail.php?item_id=39
it is optionally available and why you sell antennas that do not work?
If only some models of the A350 have the opportunity why it is not clear on your website which versions are available to the TMC?

2 answer:
No this cannot be upgraded to include this.

2 my question:
Can I upgrade this model to the TMC.
I have there slot for TMC.

1 answer:
Thanks for your e-mail.
This model does not have the TMC feature.
Thank you

1 my question:
I downloaded ActiveSync from Microsoft and installed, I plugged USB
cable into my laptop and satnav.
ActiveSync immediately recognized the device and initiated the
connection.
The installation went smoothly with the message that has been done.
Then I did:
"1.Turn off your Binatone Carrera, then disconect the USB cable ...
2.Go the settings on your device
3.Press settings
4.Press general settings
5.Press TMC icon (top left on screen)
6.Toggle ether to select off / automatic / MANNUAL - Recomendet that
automatic option is used. \"
The problem is that I don\'t have the general settings icon and
TMC icon there, and nothing I set.
I tried all combinations of connecting the past and without TMC - but
to no avail.
How can I run it? I bought TMC from Argos sales on eBay.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: