Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - M6 Toll Road - TomTom Official Response
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

M6 Toll Road - TomTom Official Response
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NMatthew wrote:
2. January 2004.

This was as I thought. It is a later release than all the other companies. I suspect as Alturion only have a few different products and they primarily sell through their website and not as far and as wide as say TomTom or Navman that they probably can produce software with more updated maps. I had hoped that seeing that TTN2 was released in March 2003 and the TeleAtlas data was December 2002, I was hoping that TTN3 would be December too, which from what I'm told may have just squeezed in the M6 toll road.

Unfortunately I don't think we'll see a map update from TomTom unless enough people complain.
NMatthew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave says:

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't think we'll see a map update from TomTom unless enough people complain

Come on folks, get complaining!

Neil
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Yes I have purchased the upgrade, because A) I'm keen to try the traffic service, B) although not good enough, the maps are better than before, and C) I have little choice - I can't afford to ditch what I bought originally, but can afford the (modest) upgrade fee. But as I said before, it's not me that I believe TomTom are taking advantage of!

Yes, I did know about the missing M6 toll before I upgraded. But as I said, I couldn't care less about the M6 toll, as I know that area well enough not to need TomTom. It's all the missing roads I haven't ever heard of that concern me, some of which are a lot older than the M6 toll I'm sure.

I'm also experienced enough to accept that if a road is not on the map, TTN will still get me where I want to go using a different route. Being specific for a moment, even though my overall point isn't about specific roads, the biggest problem with the data is not the fact that some routes are missing, it's that some destinations are missing, either because the road is not yet in there, or because it is but is still listed as un-named, or because it's listed under the local authority name not the post town. Few people will set the M6 toll as their destination, but they might want to get to a four year old housing estate in Petersfield (that's Petersfield, not North Liss).

The only point I'm making, which I keep making only because you haven't yet realised what I'm arguing, is that what TomTom choose to sell me IS a TomTom issue. Yes it's a Teleatlas issue as well, and the direct solution lies with Teleatlas, but I just think you underestimate the influence that TomTom have or should aim to have. I also think you overestimate the influence consumers have on the data suppliers - for as long as companies continue to buy from them, what should they care? It's only when companies like TomTom start to threaten them with lost business that they will really sit up and take notice, and that's the responsibility that I want TomTom to take seriously.

You are right, we should all complain to Teleatlas, but it's TomTom who should be doing it most vehimently, and as far as I can see, they're not.

And please understand, it's not MY expectations of the data that I'm worried about - I completely understand how the data is collected, and don't expect it to be completely up to date, but I do believe that it could be a lot more up to date than it is if Teleatlas were under greater commercial pressure from the people who pay their bills, and that the general public DO expect it to be better "off the shelf" than it is.

I think possibly where we've missunderstood each other is over the fact that you think I'm talking about people lucky enough to have found this site, or have experience of GPS, while in fact I'm concerned for people, like the ones I know, who just walk into Dixons or hit the TomTom site, and buy what looks to be the answer to all their navigation dreams based on the claims made for it. You could say they should make more effort to educate themselves, but most people don't, and those are the people I think TomTom (and the others, but I'm not concerned with them) are deliberately taking advantage of.

Anyway, I think I understand your point, and hope you understand mine, so we can both stop sounding like stuck records!
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had hoped that seeing that TTN2 was released in March 2003 and the TeleAtlas data was December 2002, I was hoping that TTN3 would be December too, which from what I'm told may have just squeezed in the M6 toll road.

I guess they have to pick some cut off date, and it might or might not be acceptable for that to exclude the M6 toll, but neither October, December nor January excuse roads as old as 7 years or more being missing, un-named, or listed in the wrong town!
trafcam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess they have to pick some cut off date, and it might or might not be acceptable for that to exclude the M6 toll, but neither October, December nor January excuse roads as old as 7 years or more being missing, un-named, or listed in the wrong town![/quote]

Nor my local 'new' by-pass which opened May 2003 and isn't on the TT3 map (nor the iQue, for that matter). "Cross the roundabout, second exit" says the woman. Well, it's now the third exit as the second is a new dual-carriageway that prevents you from getting where you wanted to.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: