Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom SD Card usage
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom SD Card usage
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! Embarassed
I've even got an XL sitting beside me!

Be gentle... I've got flu. Crying or Very sad
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up, the girl on the phone seemed pretty clueless, even when I could understand her Amercanese accent.

I really want to be able to use the SD card in any of my sat navs as I do still have a TT one which will run from either, I tend to get about a lot in the car and take the sat nav with me (til it was nicked) and if I see anything I POI it for when we go out in the camper, the Camper one is hard wired and rigidly fixed it'd take 30 mins to take it out, hence why I just run them from the card, and back up fairly often, I once used to run from the unit but it once went T**s up and I had to return it, lost about 6 months of POIs, so once bitten twice shy.

So what do I do now then, I prefer Tom Tom from a usability point, not wanting to switch to another, is it possible to buy one which does what I want rather than what Tom Tom wants.

Please give me an alternative.

I hate tea leaves.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Doh! Embarassed
I've even got an XL sitting beside me!

Be gentle... I've got flu. Crying or Very sad

Recommend some Jamesons 1780. Everything looks better.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find second hand x20s, x30s, x40s, and x50s. You can find refurbished 550s, and there still seem to be new 750s available. These have a slot for a micro sdhc card. They come with a year's Live services, which you don't have to renew. They have European mapping, and LMG to latest version, but you could buy a UK only map in due course. They seem to be pretty relable.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, but will any of those models run from just the SD card, my understanding of Sat Nav is very limited, I just use them Embarassed Embarassed
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x20/ x30 will run fine from SD card
x40/ x50 will run fine from MicroSD card

The newer units have a borked computer interface that prevents you doing useful things like adding files to the memory card to force the device to use the memory card, in fact some of the newer units don't even have a memory card slot - Mike
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A refurbished Go550 can be found at TomTom's outlet shop here.

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/tomtom-outlet-store/
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike & Alionhols.

I looked at the refurb suggested, but couldn't see where it confirms that they can run from the SD card, I did look through the refurbs, but found it impossible to figure out which did or didn't, so abandoned the search.

Is there a techy phrase to describe what I'm looking for.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt you will find the information on TomToms own web site but my 940 and 950 will both run from the MicroSD card, whilst both these models are the top end products there is little (other than internal flash memory capacity) difference between a 550 and a 950.
The 940 is a rather different animal as that was the last proper device that TomTom manufactured IMHO, but it can still run just from the MicroSD card as can the other x40 models - Mike
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

750 seems to be in stock Here. worth a phone call first to double check. Price is reasonable.

Edit: you'll also need a 4Gb micro sdhc card [class 6 or higher] as the new map of Europe is bigger than the 2Gb internal memory of the 750.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K13ehr wrote:

I looked at the refurb suggested, but couldn't see where it confirms that they can run from the SD card...

As Mike says, that's not the sort of thing TomTom would ever tell you in the marketing blurb or even the published specifications.

Trust the guys here though.....

The x20/x30/x40/x50 models will all run happily from a card in their their SD or micro-SD card slot. (So it's probably best to standardise on micro-SD cards and use them in a full-size adapter if you have x20/x30 models)
All of them can use SDHC technology cards.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem is I must be thick Embarassed Embarassed

Are the lower numbers better or worse than the higher numbers I mean the X and the 20/30/40/50, as they mean nothing to someone who has only ever used the one mentioned and a 300 go, I assume a higher number is better.

I don't really do techy stuff, but I keep it well hidden Laughing Laughing

Also where is the best place to buy from as Ebay isn't that good if you buy a duff one.

I looked at Tom Tom refurbs but there was only a 550 so not a lot of choice there, and I've no idea how old some of these actually are, and it's doesn't help that the names and numbers are so similar to eachother.

Kev
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets take a look at the first digit often shown as an x (x20, x30 x40, x50)

5xx includes UK & ROI mapping but can be upgraded to full European coverage with a map purchase.

7xx includes Full European coverage including the little island we live on.

9xx includes Full European AND North American maps.

Now for the xx part (x20, x30, x40, x50)

x20 is the oldest range and includes Bluetooth audio output for music streaming and is capable of handsfree when paired to a compatible phone, also has the ability to output audio via it's built in FM Transmitter.

x30 is basically an x20 with a few tweaks to the software at time of launch.

x40 is where the product line started to tail off in terms of capability, the 540 and 740 lost the mp3 player and FM Transmitter, the 940 included the mp3 player and FM TX, these units were provided with a very good quality mountand were the first to be released in the UK with access to the Live services with a built in modem and SIM card.

x50 and things got worse from a feature set, no mp3 player and no FM TX on any of the models.

So why do you see people recommending the 550 over and above the newer products, well it still uses the old TomTom Home software and can still be accessed via Windows Explorer (Unlike newer Nav3 based devices such as Go-1000 etc) it still has the ability to run from the MicroSD card and is the most recent device that can meet your requirements to run from the Memory card, as it will be supplied with UK&ROI mapping you will need to purchase a Western_Europe map to upgrade the device if you want to use it on mainland Europe.

If I had a choice of anything from the current or previous model range I would probably go for a Go-940 Live running out of date software and the map it was supplied with at the time of product launch, software "updates" have slowed the device down which makes it difficult in use, a second chose device would be the XL IQ Live but that can't run from a memory card as it has no card holder, still a very credible performer, it will be interesting to see which units Andy_P would choose, somehow I think they will be the same ones!

These days I tend to use TomTom on my iPhone or my Garmin 3790T the TomTom current model lineup simply doesn't cut the mustard for me - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can lay my hands on an old Go940, a Go950, an XL LIVE, AND the newer Go1005.

Very little difference between the 940 and 950 except ( as Mike says) the 940 has the music player and the Bluetooth output. That makes it my choice every time. My only issue with it is that my particular unit seems to have very low signal reception strength for Traffic these days.

Th XL is very nice EXCEPT for the "integrated" mount. Some people like these, but I find it REALLY annoying to have to fiddle round the back to fix it to the windscreen every time. The 940 and 950 both have an excellent separate mount.

The G01005 is beautifully made and has a lovely bright (but very reflective) screen, but is just lacking too many features to be able to compare.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike & Andy,

Stars both, brilliantly simple, and simply brilliant, even I understood it, so basically go get a 550, and I'll be sorted, anything older is less as is anything newer, obviously TomTom are not forum members or they would be improving the product rather than taking functions away.

My only other queries would be that I would have gone for the 750 as they can be got new, at least on Ebay they can if it's to be believed, or is that not the same as the 750 you mention Mike? see the letters escape me too Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

If I go for the 550 (is it a go 550) I already have a backup of Western Europe from the until which was stolen, would this work if I restored it onto the new unit, or would that contravene a legality, I would like the Europe maps, as I do wander over there occasionally, but not concerned if they're a bit out of date.

Thanks again Kev.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: