Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 910 map updates for 2 devices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 910 map updates for 2 devices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbolger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: TomTom 910 map updates for 2 devices Reply with quote

Twisted Evil we bought to 910's last April ther was a free DVD map update which i was able to install on both devices, which offered free updates for 1 yr.
I purchaced map 715 in April 2008 for both units and Tom Tom said I have to purchace 2 I explained I own both units which the acknowledged, but I still have to buy 2.
even though I just bought a map in April, Now there is a newer map which Tom Tom said ieven though I just bough a map in April, if I wanted the newer version I would have to buy that one for $99. So isaty they cam out with 3 newer maps each year and i wanted the lates maps on both my devices I would have to pay $600 a year for maps.

Is there any other maps that work on the 910, or at least one map that I can buy and install on both of my 910's
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
You were lucky to get a one year update offer. In Europe we have never had anything like that. Recently, we have been given 30 days to check we have the latest available after we buy a device; we used to get nothing.

You do not own the map. Like any computer software you just buy a licence to use it, with conditions applied! Usually this means on ONE machine only (same as Microsoft Windows).

TomTom go to great lengths to produce anti-piracy measures to prevent people sharing maps between machines, so each map is normally "locked" to one device.
For that reason, I'd be very surprised if you managed to get one map on two machines last year - are you sure you didn't just get two updates, one per machine?.

There are no alternative suppliers, only TomTom maps work on a TomTom.
bbolger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The update offec came out right after we bought them, I had to order it from TomTom just had to pay shipping. I guess since the offer was valid for both devices tech suport release the DVD for my second device rather than having to order another DVD from them. It was an update for all the maps that came with the origional 910.

We like the 910 alot, but the maps are too expensive to keep updating.

The version 715 is elegable for map corrections for 1 yr, but i found out from Tomtom that the 1 yr of updates ony covers corrections, not new roads, exits etc. You only get that by updating with the newere versions?

I even voice my stron oppion to TomTom that had I known the update would have been so costly, I would have taken a better look at the competition
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbolger wrote:

The version 715 is elegable for map corrections for 1 yr, but i found out from Tomtom that the 1 yr of updates ony covers corrections, not new roads, exits etc. You only get that by updating with the newere versions?

That's the same as we get with "Mapshare" - you can block or unblock roads, change road names, add or edit POIs, but not add or change roads themselves, or new junctions, roundabouts etc.

bbolger wrote:
I even voice my stron oppion to TomTom that had I known the update would have been so costly, I would have taken a better look at the competition

I think you will find that all satnav makers will have similar policies. None of them give away their maps, and prices are very similar...
TomTom are selling their Western Europe map at £59.95 inc at the moment (normally £79.95)
Garmin are selling their "City Navigator" map of Europe for £68.08 plus tax, so it is around £79.65

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: