Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dual GPS in car & on boat?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dual GPS in car & on boat?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grahamdi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Dual GPS in car & on boat? Reply with quote

Hi there

I am looking for a GPS that will work in the car with street maps and on the boat with charts. The boat one is a backup to the main GPS.

Is there a model out there that will do both. Based in UK so need UK maps.

Regards
Graham
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - but it's not going to be the cheapest solution out there....

A GARMIN Colorado 300 will run as a nuvi look-alike with the NT2008 maps and you can also load BlueChart Atlantic onto it, for mapping as you would get on a dedicated ship-based unit.

The draw backs are the small size of the screen, poor sound and lack of touch screen.

I don't believe the nuvi systems can use the BlueChart maps correctly as they don't understand the icons used. Note: this is certainly true of the 3xx/6xx nuvis - don't know about the others but they don't appear on the BlueChart support list. Shame about this as they could make passable ship based units - except for their lack of outdoor ruggedness.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is the requirements for the boat and car are very different. No one had really successfully made a combined unit, as there are just too many compromises to be made.
Alternates are a PDA with say Tomtom for street maps and memory map for charts (in an otterbox when on the boat) or a top end Garmin handheld.

Both have drawbacks, Personally I would look seriously at a Garmin handheld for the boat (You can take it with you if you go for a walk as well), and a dedicated, in car system. One thing to ask is do you really need a backup in the boat?. How reliable is the main system? You should be able to navigate your boat without a GPS, if you can't a training course would be a better way to spend you money. (Please don't be offended, I am not being demeaning or condecending, I have no idea of your marine background or skills.)
7andy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Memory Map's Road Angel, despite it's name, can be loaded with Maritime Charts. This will give you Road sat-nav, OS Maps on land, and use on a boat.
Check with Memory Map at www.memory-map.co.uk

7&Y
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertn wrote:
One thing to ask is do you really need a backup in the boat?. How reliable is the main system? You should be able to navigate your boat without a GPS, if you can't a training course would be a better way to spend you money.

Very good advice and equally applicable to all places you would use a GPS - air/sea/land. It's an aid to navigation NOT a substitute.
NoTimeTolouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my Garmin nuvi 250 as a back up GPS device at sea, firstly it gives me a fix anywhere which is nice, but you also need a paper chart as well.

Secondly it will take me home, sure it will take you straight through a pile of rocks, but used intelligently it's dead handy in a small boat in fog in familiar waters, as it helps to avoid disorientation.

I used it on the train today, why do Intercity 125 trains only do 100 mph?

I have to tell it I'm on foot and off road of course, and I have changed the car icon for the blue triangle pointer (wish it were red).
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
Very good advice and equally applicable to all places you would use a GPS - air/sea/land. It's an aid to navigation NOT a substitute.

Very true, A few years ago I was on the bridge of a P&O Ferry in dry dock looking at its GPS on a big screen and it shown its position about 5 miles inland, I was also on the bridge of an irish ferry coming into Rosslare and it was just the same, I wouldnt risk navigating by them, when i asked the helmsman if he navigated by it, his short answer was no fear.!
FrenchLeave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I used to sail my boat from Portsmouth to Cherbourg there were three accepted methods of navigation:

1. Use dead reckoning, ie pass St Kate's point on the IoW and then steer 210.

2. Follow the trail of discarded beer cans/bottles.

3. Use Decca.

When Decca died I invested in a Garmin GPS 12, it was an improvement over Decca, it not only gave you Lat and Long, it also showed your track!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say this (as a TomTom man) but is the Garmin nüvi 550 worth a look?

It's water proof and is intended to be all purpose: for hiking, bicycling, driving and sailing.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Garmin 478 is also suitable for both boat and land navigation. No tts unfortunately,

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: