Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Moving Quickgps fix data
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving Quickgps fix data

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcorlett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Moving Quickgps fix data Reply with quote

Is Quickgps fix data compatible between TT devices. My TT One XL happily downloads QuickGPS fix data using TT Home 2.3. But my TT 730 is never offerred QuickGPS fix data using TT Home 2.3 - it's as if Home doesn't look for QuickGPS fix data for the device. The only other option I seem to have is to pair a phone with the TT 730 then download the QuickGPS fix data that way. But that's a pain if I'm in, as I normally am, and area with poor GPRS data access.

So can I locate and migrate the QuickGPS fix data from one device to another?

Regards,
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you where the Quickfix data gets stored by Home, but have no idea whether it will use it!
Each download is stored in a separate folder (called "QuickGPSfix", "QuickGPSfix-1", "QuickGPSfix-2" etc.) inside Home/Download/ephemeris.

To find where Home stores its download folder, look at Tools/Home preferences/Folder locations in Home itself.

To be honest though, if you are staying in the same country, and not going miles away without having the TomTom switched on, I don't think Quickfix makes any difference at all!
tcorlett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha... I can see the ephemeris data in the Home/Folder. I'll try a couple of experiments and see what happens.

Biggest puzzle is of course why Home won't download the QuickGPS fix data to the 730. But this is only one of many mysteries, for example, why does the TT Home backup take 1hr and 30minutes to backup my TT 730 when Acronis (a bit level backup copier) does the same job using the same cable and USB port in a tad under 6 minutes?

Thanks and regards,
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
To be honest though, if you are staying in the same country, and not going miles away without having the TomTom switched on, I don't think Quickfix makes any difference at all!

Andy is 107% correct. Last September, I took a TomTom GO to Corfu, switched off all the way, then switched it on when we reached our resort several hours and quite a few miles from Cardiff - that's the Cardiff in Wales, The Valleys, Boyo. It took no more than five minutes to get a fix (in the middle of no map, I hasten to add!! Laughing ).

Last Friday, I returned from a fortnight in Corfu, having left my GO920 hidden inside the van in Cardiff Airport car park. Switched on and had a virtually instant fix (this is off road in the car park too).

QuickGPSFix is a gimmick. I haven't downloaded it to any of my three devices for at least four months. As soon as your device contacts a satellite, it downloads the equivalent of QuickGPSFix automatically. So you last got that data the last time you used the device - was that more recently than the last time you connected to TomTom Home?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcorlett wrote:
why does the TT Home backup take 1hr and 30minutes to backup my TT 730 when Acronis (a bit level backup copier) does the same job using the same cable and USB port in a tad under 6 minutes?

What's wrong with good old Windows Explorer copy and paste to a folder on your PC and burn to CD? I'd hate to use a proprietary backup solution which would go base over apex if my PC crashed. Wink

Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes tcorlett
Windows Explorer is 100% efficient and quicker than your methods and doesn't overwrite you previous backups either.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
tcorlett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for delay in replying - got caught up in rainstorm in good ol' Manchester.

Ok, will take little notice of Quick GPS fix data in future, seems hardly useful on the basis you describe.

Reason I use Acronis is that unlike explorer Acronis creates separate drive partition that is write protected from Windows. If there is a crash you can restore entire device from protected partition. Acronis will also do "since" saves or "partial" backups and autonumbers each backup - so backup gets faster after first full save, and no danger of overwriting. It's also greate for exact bit level copies, which Windows Explorer can't do - so for example you can clone a C: drive to a new device without losing keys and authentication codes (which may be written to unindexed files so not picked up by Explorer).

Hope this makes sense.

Regards, to y'all
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcorlett wrote:
Hope this makes sense.

So do I. Sadly, at 68 going on 69, that sort of magic is beyond me. I struggle to burn CDs, so partitions, bit levels and clones all sound a bit rude and rather like something I wouldn't want my daughter to talk to. I'd simply hate it if Acronis wouldn't start up. Cool

tcorlett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN - there are times I struggle to make a cup of tea, you know pouring the boiling water into the packet of tea bags and all that sort of thing - then looking on bemused wondering what the hell I am doing.

But, in brief, I'm just using a commercial solution tp protect my PC, TomTom applications, POIs and the naughty 730T in a single pass. Same as the servers in the office.

But for me reading a map was the black art hence the TT. Oh, except when my trusted One XL went awol in central Bristol on a dark night in a one way road system Crying or Very sad and I learnt to read a map fast (because the locals had no idea where the heck I was).
Embarassed
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really knocking Acronis. At one time I set up a few computers with daily automatic tape drive backups. It seemed like a good idea at the time but (as the purported computer expert) I would have had no idea how to restore from them! Embarassed

The locals in Bristol don't know where THEY are - how'd you expect them to know where YOU are? I bet they pointed you the wrong way along the one way system!!

tcorlett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now strange you should say that - they did point me into the one way system - back the way I'd come.

Bit like the 730T that yesterday routed me 5 miles down the Wirral including getting stuck in major roadworks (neither TT traffic on subscription or the TDS-TMC seemed to know about that so no points for IQ routing there) to reappear about 50 yeards from where I set off. Would've been quicker to walk.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DennisN
Hey! I’m older than you.
I remember backing up some years ago using a Freeware Backup programme with dire consequences. When the dreaded day came and I went to retrieve the documents all I could get was ‘Gobbledegook’. Since then I have steered clear of all Backup programmes using encryption.
Encryption is necessary for highly sensitive material but backing up my documents (or Tomtom) via Explorer to DVD or to a mobile Hard Disk does me just fine.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: