Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Category Titles
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Category Titles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been submitting lots of POI's recently, but have not had the time to actually use POIEdit to "Harvest" them as Darren would say, until this evening.
I have now got a mixture of separate files and combined subcategories on my TomTom.
What I have noticed is that the combined files (generic bitmap icon) are properly listed i.e. the Sub category and the title appear both in Google Maps and on TomTom.
The individual categories (proper company logo) are listed only by title.

An example:
Maplin, 52.20511, 0.1446 downloaded as an individual category,
is listed in TomTom as Cambridge, Beehive Retail Park.
Pets at Home, 52.20465, 0.14390 downloaded as part of a combined category is listed in TomTom as Pets at Home, Cambridge.

I have found a few other examples that follow the same pattern, and am not sure if there is a way to correct this.
I hope that my explanation is not in Double Dutch Laughing

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
docdoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom59 wrote:
I have been submitting lots of POI's recently, but have not had the time to actually use POIEdit to "Harvest" them as Darren would say, until this evening.
I have now got a mixture of separate files and combined subcategories on my TomTom.
What I have noticed is that the combined files (generic bitmap icon) are properly listed i.e. the Sub category and the title appear both in Google Maps and on TomTom.
The individual categories (proper company logo) are listed only by title.

An example:
Maplin, 52.20511, 0.1446 downloaded as an individual category,
is listed in TomTom as Cambridge, Beehive Retail Park.
Pets at Home, 52.20465, 0.14390 downloaded as part of a combined category is listed in TomTom as Pets at Home, Cambridge.

I have found a few other examples that follow the same pattern, and am not sure if there is a way to correct this.
I hope that my explanation is not in Double Dutch Laughing

This is how it is supposed to work. Imagine you are using your TomTom to search for a local POI. We'll take fuel as an example.

If you have downloaded the Shell subcategory, for example, then you know this is going to be a Shell garage! So it only needs to list the location in the search.

If you have downloaded the generic Fuel category, you don't know what garage it is going to be so it has the name and location in the search.

All the categories and subcategories are supposed to work this way when you download them! I'm not sure why anyone would want it to work any other way!
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, that is not how it is working, if I want to find fuel, it lists all the different petrol stations nearest to me. Likewise, if I search for Shell, it finds all the Shell stations nearest to me. Both ways appear with the generic icon. This is how I understand that it should work.

If I try to search for Maplin, I get No POI Found. If I browse the map (on TomTom) I can see the Maplin icon. If I tap the icon, it is named Cambridge, Beehive Retail Park. There is no mention of Maplin in it's name, therefore it cannot be found by a search.

TT iPhone app

TT iOS Go Mobile
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom59 wrote:
If I try to search for Maplin, I get No POI Found. If I browse the map (on TomTom) I can see the Maplin icon. If I tap the icon, it is named Cambridge, Beehive Retail Park. There is no mention of Maplin in it's name, therefore it cannot be found by a search.
If you are using the Maplin POI, you will already know that all the locations in that POI are Maplins.

Why why you want to be told again? Confused

If you are searching the Maplin POI you would look for either the nearest, presumably, or one in a town of your choosing.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is relevant, but in your first post you mention using POIEdit to "harvest them".
If you mean you are using POIEdit to download them, I think this could be causing you problems.
The POIs from this site are compiled "live" as you actually download. I'm sure I read that POIEdit is not compatible with this and may well be finding out of date versions.
I would always download using the page on this site.

Or, reading it another way, are you using POI edit to merge several individual POI categories that you've downloaded from here?
If that's the case, then you will see from the previous posts that this will NOT give you individual entries with the company name. you would need to download the ones you wanted as part of a larger category and then pick out the brands you wanted in POI Edit. But why bother doing it that way at all, when the download system here does just that anyway?

Sorry, if I've got the wrong end of the stick, maybe you could tell us exactly what and how you downloaded filenames, category names etc.)and also what you are trying to achieve in the end. Then we may be able to see a way to achieve it.

BTW - why are we in a topic about submitting POIs?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
BTW - why are we in a topic about submitting POIs?
Thanks for nudge Andy.

Duly put in a more appropriate place. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard - I am using Maplin as the example, because I know where it is (on land) and I know that it is not working properly.
If I have to travel to a strange place and search for Maplin in TomTom, it will not find any Maplins.

Andy - Maplin was downloaded as an Individual category from this website as a "Separate file per subcategory" using Win RAR, it was extracted directly into TomTom.
Fuel, on the other hand was downloaded from this site as "Combine subcategories into category file" into individual folders and then merged using POIEdit, before being dragged and dropped into the map folder of TomTom.

My main query is that if I either select "Fuel" or search for it, using "Any POI Category", it will work. If I search for Shell, it will find all Shells and other stuff as well e.g. Abbey ATM, Shell Newham. All of these results come from the PGS database, but it also returns results from the TomTom POI database.

If I select "Any POI Category" and search for Maplin, the result is "No POI Found", even though I know it is in there, because I can see it on the "Browse Map" page. On a similar vane, I have just searched for PC World, which I know exists, but I get the same response "No POI Found".

If I have got the wrong idea about how it should work, please tell me.

The reason that I have posted in "Submitting POI's", is because this particular Maplin is one that I submitted and I am worried that I may have caused the problem somehow by not submitting correctly.

P.S. I am starting to discount this theory, as the PC World POI was submitted by someone else. Confused

TT iPhone app

TT iOS Go Mobile
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that what you might be doing is selecting to navigate to "Any POI Category", which then asks you to type in the name of the POI - which won't include the word Maplin.

This page will also show a number of icons of POI categories you have recently navigated to, and also the blue arrow to take you to the next page. If you choose the next page option, you can then select the category you want to navigate to. After you have chosen Maplin from the list, you'll see the closest 24 Maplins shops to your location.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I took so long writing this, that Daggers has said much the same but more succinctly! - but sometimes the same info presented in a different way can suddenly "click" so I'll leave it here in case!)

First you need to be sure you understand how the downloads from here work.

A SEPARATE CATEGORIES download will have a category called "Maplin_Electronics" with entries called "Glasgow" or "Leeds" etc. Note that the word "Maplin" does not appear in their names.

A COMBINED CATEGORIES download (say of Maplins and Jessops) will have a category called "Shopping - Consumer electrics" and NOW you will have entries in that file called "Maplin_Electronics - Glasgow" or "Jessops - Hull"

SCENARIO 1:
Lets say you've downloaded the individual "Maplins" category:
If you use "Any Poi category" (and I must say I have never found a reason to use that particular option!) then this is how the search will work...

Once you've clicked on "Any POI category" the next screen is headed "(Part of) POI name:" and gives you a keyboard to start typing.

This (as it says) is going to search the names of actual POI entries, NOT[/u] POI categories, and as we said above the individual names DON'T have "Maplins" in them.

IF you've downloaded the individual "Maplins" category and you want to search for a Maplins, you should not be using "Any Poi category" at all...
On the same page, press the forward arrow and either scroll through or type a few letters (note it is of the category this time) to find the Maplin category, and when you select that you will be presented with the nearest 24 Maplin stores to wherever you chose in the first step (near home, in a city, near your location etc.).
If you still want to search for one further afield, entering part of it's entry name (i.e. the town) will then search the entire category.

It's far better to use...
SCENARIO 2:
Let's say you've downloaded a combined "Shopping - Consumer electrics" category (which you can always rename "Electronics shops" or anything else if you want, just by renaming the ov2 and bmp files)...

NOW, if you search for the name "Maplin" it will find them because that word is in the entries' names.

Not the BEST explanation I've ever made, but I hope that's a bit clearer...
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for the explanations, it is a lot clearer now. I have now seen the error of my ways!
Andy, why not approach TomTom and ask for a job in customer support - you could run rings around them Very Happy

TT iPhone app

TT iOS Go Mobile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom59 wrote:
Andy, why not approach TomTom and ask for a job in customer support
I am not trying to speak for Andy, but I would guess He wouldn't be prepared to lower his standards Shocked - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But they do get that fantastic coffee cake at the tea breaks, might explain some of their answers Wink
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Dutch coffee cake..... NOW you're talking! Cool

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: