Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Version 8 maps for tom tom go 520
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Version 8 maps for tom tom go 520
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luckylol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, could someone please tell how to download map ver 8.05 GB & EIRE onto my 720, i'm running navcore ver 8 but when in home under updates it shows my purchased map but says it can't be downloaded to my device,
any help would be handy Question
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case I had to change my profile in My Tom Tom account to suggest I had an x30 unit before it would allow me to download the maps onto my device.

That said if you read some of the other threads some people have been downloading the maps and then been unable to load them onto their sat navs similar to yourself. It's not clear why at present so I would proceed with caution.

However all is working just fine on my 720, I have the v8 maps, v8 OS and eventually I got my GPRS Traffic system working again after resetting my profile back to saying that I have a 720 rather than a 730.
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I upgraded to the version 8 map yesterday.

All I did was go to the TT Plux page, choose maps, select the device as a 530 (I have a 520T), provided the email it is registered under and made the purchase.

I had already moved the old map onto a memory card and home offered me the new map.

Downloaded and installed no problems.

Copied the mapsettings.cfg file from the old map to the new one as well as the POIs and all the favourites, speed cameras etc worked - quite surprised.

ALG seems a bit of a gimmick and the routing seems distinctly odd - from Scotch Corner to Blackpool it wanted to take me off the A66 along various B roads to join the M6 even though I had a via point of A585 as I didnt want to go along the A69 from Newcastle. It was only after I ignored the right turn that it routed sensibly and reduced the time by 30 minutes.

IQ Routing - must be a very low IQ!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.
You seem to be using the same method as usual, but suddenly lots of people are reporting this no longer works, giving a "you cannot use these maps on this device" message.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody in the US forums reported problems yesterday but that doesn't mean much. It is strange though. Yesterday it seemed TT had stopped the map availability but today 2 posters say it worked for them.

I'll be keen to see whether further posters here today respond one way or another.
dcdivenut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can report that the tap has indeed been shut off, at least without major mucking around. I followed the instructions on gpsforum to a tee and when I go to install the maps through home it says that they are not compatible with my device (I have a 920)
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

American users are seeing the same thing now.

I wonder whether a 'hack' might work. I HIGHLY doubt it. However, if I remember, the ttgo.bif text file contained, among other data, the device type. If it does, I wonder whether manually changing, say tomtom 720 to tomtom 730 might allow for the installation.

Probably not. While clearly the installation routine must be looking at some code on the unit to determine the model type, it would be too obvious that the code it is seeking is that info.

BUT... if I were here AND TomTOM was not refunding my money for the dl of a map that won't install, I'd try it ...

TO MODS:

I certainly am NOT condoning anything illegal, like cracking maps. I see the hack (if there is the remote possibility that it works) would be like the hack that NA users did with the support_asr.dat file in order to get VR on their units.

However.....

Let's say: 1) TT does refund the money AND
2) the hack DOES work...

Then there is a problem, isn't there?

Please use your judgement as to whether my post should be deleted; I would understand.
OldDave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the game is up !I have a TT 520.I changed my profile to say I had a 530 and then purchased a v 805 map.TT took the money,told me how to download,but when I tried it,TT said I couldn't do it because my device was not suitable !!
luckylol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone
Just to keep u updated about my map problems, finally got a reply from TT.
I had asked them for a swap ie: to a map suitable for my 720t or a refund.
Here is their reply:
Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you,

The reason for this is due to the fact that it is not possible to do a straight exchange for this map. This is due to the fact that the version 8.05 map differs in price from the version 7.20 map

In order to resolve this issue, it is necessary for you to order the correct version 720 map. Once this order has been placed we will be able to refund the incorrect order.

Get back to me with the new order number for the correct map, and I will have the incorrect map refunded.

Do make sure you make no attempts to download the version 8 map before we refund you as this may result in us not being able to make the refund.

With Best Regards
The TomTom Customer Support Team

So there u have it, anyone who downloaded map ver 8.05 & couldn't download it onto their unit will get a refund if they purchase another map.
Seeing as alot of people on here think that new maps (possibly Ver8.05) may be available sometime in August i suggest people wait & see if their currently unusable map will be usable in the future.
If not, buy the latest map for the x20 series, contact Customer Support & get a refund .
I hope this doesn't sound too long winded & Good Luck Idea
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting us know the outcome. Glad you got it sorted out with TomTom to your satisfaction. Very Happy
Samsung Galaxy S21
meryvn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have not downloaded the map then TomTom should give you a refund without buying another map, as their T&C's state that if you have not opened the packaging (for software this means downloading or activating) then they will give you a full refund.
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi bGuys,

I am one of those users who purchased and downloaded version 8 maps, and all works ok for the time being at least, but there is still a little oddity I noticed the other day.

I was trawling through the menu's, checking set ups and the like when I came across the ALG icon, so I thought what would happen if I tried to change the default setting, but it still informs me that I have the wrong maps for that feature.

ALG still works great in all its functionality but interestingly still get that info. I do wonder though how long TT will let this go or are they going to turn a blind eye to those of us who have jumped the gun?

Dave
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

PC Operating System: Windows 7

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: