Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - :wink: Did You Know ...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

:wink: Did You Know ...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strawbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: :wink: Did You Know ... Reply with quote

A Motorola mobile phone mains charger w\ mini-USB plug will also charge a TomTom with mini-USB socket? Wink

I didn't either 'til I bought a TT charger off e-bay & found it was the same as 2x Motorola mains chargers I already have. Rolling Eyes

I hope this saves someone else a few quid.

edit: Laughing Out Loud

Last edited by Strawbs on Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:39 am; edited 2 times in total
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any mini-USB charger will charge any device with a mini-USB socket that is used for charging. Pretty obvious I would have thought. Rolling Eyes

The voltage for USB is a fixed standard as is (mini) USB. Why did you buy another when you already had two.... Not one but two. Embarassed
Strawbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any mini-USB charger will charge any device with a mini-USB socket that is used for charging. Pretty obvious I would have thought.

The voltage for USB is a fixed standard as is (mini) USB. Why did you buy another when you already had two.... Not one but two.

I'm talking about a Motorola mains charger! not the USB to mini-USB (which I already knew about). Razz

I didn't know the mains charger voltage was the same, as I'm sure many others don't. my appologies for not being as smart as you obviously are. Cool
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USB (Universal Serial Bus) is universal voltage too. That was why it was developed. If something can charge off USB (mini connector or standard) it can charge off a USB charger.

You'll be telling us next since you bought an in car charger for TomTom you realise you had two Motorola 12v car socket to USB chargers too Wink
Strawbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Believe it or not ... Reply with quote

rtj70 wrote:
USB (Universal Serial Bus) is universal voltage too. That was why it was developed. If something can charge off USB (mini connector or standard) it can charge off a USB charger.

You'll be telling us next since you bought an in car charger for TomTom you realise you had two Motorola 12v car socket to USB chargers too Wink

I used to build computers and I know a computer USB port outputs a standard 5 volts!

It seems you're trying to suggest that all mini-usb mains chargers output the exact same voltage\amps? If you are; I can tell you you're wrong.

manufacturers use different voltage\amp batteries and sometimes use a universal plug\socket simply to keep costs down. Just because something has a mini-USB plug doesn't mean it can't damage the battery in a TT.

This topic was supposed to help those that don't have your vast knowledge - do you think you could leave it to do that now you've given us the benefit of your wisdom? Rolling Eyes
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUT they're not all universal... some usb power supplies will NOT work with my garmin nuvi 200 as it sends it into 'PC connection mode', others work fine.

clearly there is a difference still even within 'universal'

MaFt
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a charger with a mini USB plug gave out the wrong voltage then there's a problem with the charger. This was the whole point of USB and therefore mini-USB sockets.

If something has a (mini) USB plug it should give out the right voltage and amps and if it doesn't then the standard is meaningless. That is my point.

Now if some company produces non-standard USB chargers then we have a breakdown of standards.

I wasn't having a go mate. So what did you last build? Hope you're not just talking assembling PCs from components and claiming to be an expert. Very Happy
Strawbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Thanks MaFt: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
BUT they're not all universal... some usb power supplies will NOT work with my garmin nuvi 200 as it sends it into 'PC connection mode', others work fine.

clearly there is a difference still even within 'universal'

MaFt

my first post was very specific, I thought! but even after explaining that I was talking about Mains chargers - someone didn't want to accept he might have jumped the gun. Wink

Last edited by Strawbs on Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:32 am; edited 2 times in total
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt,

Clearly (and not in my experience obviously) companies have not followed standards.

The voltage and available amps should be to USB standards. If a connection makes a device think it's got connectivity then the serial data as well as power lines are connected.
Strawbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtj70 wrote:
MaFt,

Clearly (and not in my experience obviously) companies have not followed standards.

The voltage and available amps should be to USB standards. If a connection makes a device think it's got connectivity then the serial data as well as power lines are connected.

so you were wrong then! Razz
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strawbs,

From MaFts experience we might both be wrong.

Another tip then... if you havea Virgin Media V+ box which has USB ports (which do nothing as you'd think) then plug in a USB to mini-USB cable and charge your devices Wink
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
Strawbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I said "Universal" i was talking about the shape\size is a standard - hence making it cheap to implement by the manfacturer! I already said that the voltage\amps can be different.
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltage should not be different ever. Or it's not a standard. Available amps should be sufficient too.

The whole point of using the mini USB connector for a charger is standards are/should be followed otherwise you could fry something.

I have learned so far that this standard is abused and you are therefore fortunate the Motorola charger is okay for the TT device.

If you checked what a USB port on your PC, it might deliver upto 500mA per port assuming not powered.

So if MaFt is right (probably) then using any old mains to mini-USB charger may or may not work. Standards.
Strawbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: :wink: Did You Know ... Reply with quote

Strawbs wrote:
A Motorola mobile phone charger w\ mini-USB plug will also charge a TomTom with mini-USB socket? ...

**sighs** I hate to quote myself, but needs must.

call it "luck", "good fortune" or "someone else tested the theory & sold it on e-bay for a fiver"! whatever... it works.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: