Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 930 start up issues
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

930 start up issues
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superleeds
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: 930 start up issues Reply with quote

my 930 will not boot past the splash screen at all even after a reset i backed up in tt home then added a new start up screen thru home but now it wont go past start up ,i reinstalled and still no joy

can anyone help..
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you use Explorer to rename the startup .bmp to *.bak. Then, do a pin reset and see what happens.
jasonroper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: 930 Startup issues Reply with quote

Hi, I have had my 930T for a week and since the first update through HOME, I've gone from losing ALL maps, etc to getting to the point where maps have been re-provided and had to format several times! I lost some services like voice recognition, but after tomtom support not being able to help by email OR hours of phone calls, I found info on user forums that have helped, which is pants that I've had to spend so much time trying to fix what they broke!

Anyway enough ranting!

I currently have a problem where although my tomtom boots and is useable, I cannot for the life of me get eithera startup or shutdown image to show, I just get a white blank screen when I power on and a blank black screen when i power off! This may not seem much of a problem but I just paid nearly £400 for it and want it to work properly! Anyone got any ideas?

Ive got splash.bmp AND splashw.bmp in my root folder,and antitheft.bmp AND antitheftw.bmp, I also have suspend.bmp and suspendw.bmp all in the root drive but nothing works, I have manually removed them and re-added them, I have removed them via HOME and re-downloaded and re-added them, still to NO avail!! HEEEEELLLLLPPP!!!!

As for your problem with it freezing at the startup screen, after hours of searching and some tomtom support here is something you might try....

1) Connect your device to your PC and use windows explorer togo to your device.
2) Create a folder anywhere (desktop is always a good place!) and name it "FULL BACKUP" without the speech marks
3) Highlight ALL the contents of your device, folders and all and drag and drop them into your new folder. This creates a FULL backup of your whole device! (Make sure once it's completed copying that you check the map folders match exactly as on the device, this is probably the most important bit!
4) once done, FORMAT the device just as you would any drive, storage card, etc (Right click the drive, select format. Leave all the format settings as they are!)
5) Once Done, disconnect from your PC and press the reset pin on the underside and at the same time press and hold the on/off button. Count to ten and keep holding the on/off button but release the reset pin. Keep holding the on/off button and you will see the units firmware reboot.
6) Once this reaches the bottom of the screen let go of the on/off button and the unit will boot, BUT you will only get to a screen with a big flashing red "X". This is GOOD, so far! Press the on/off button to switch the unit off and leave it for a minute.
7) Explore your computer to the TOMTOM HOME folders which should be in your "Documents" folder under TOMTOM/HOME/
8) Look in the "DOWNLOAD" folder for the "program" folder and DELETE it, completely.
9) Connect your unit to the computer and switch it on. This should open TOMTOM HOME but if it doesn't just open it.
10) Use the UPDATE my device facility and it SHOULD give you all the stuff that you have or have downloaded. DESELECT EVERYTHING BUT the program file and let it download and install JUST this.
11)Onve done, use the top menu on HOME to disconnect the device, power off and disconnect it from your PC. This time, press the reset pin but dont hold the on/off button. Press and hold for a count of 10, let go and press and hold the on/off button. You should hear the tomtom drums and get a tomtom logo in the middle of the screen. This should then boot as it should but will display "no maps found"
7) You can then either re-install your maps via HOME or if they are not shown on there for you to install to the unit, simply copy JUST the maps folder to the ROOT of the unit.

This should hopefully fix your problem.

If you are not sure about doing this the only option is to email AND RING and pester tomtom support until they respond!

REMEMBER to copy EVERYTHING from your unit manually BEFORE formatting it. IF it doesn't work you can just re-copy everything back and your unit will be as is to send for repair/replacement, etc!

Hope this helps. Hope somebody has a fix for me!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 930 Startup issues Reply with quote

jasonroper wrote:

Ive got splash.bmp AND splashw.bmp in my root folder,and antitheft.bmp AND antitheftw.bmp, I also have suspend.bmp and suspendw.bmp all in the root drive but nothing works

The files you need for an x30 machine should be 'splashw.bmp' and 'antitheftw.bmp', don't bother with any of the others.
Are these the original images, or something else you've added and renamed?
Sorry if this is obvious, but they do need to actually be .bmps not just renamed .jpgs or whatever. And they need to be the correct size shape and colour depth.
Have you tried downloading any of the ones from here, to see if those work?

Finally, to show the shutdown/antitheft screen, you need to enable it in Safety Preferences (I think.... I don't have my Go with me today Crying or Very sad ). IIRC it is something like "warn not to leave unit in car".
jasonroper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for your feedback,

Yeah, unfortunately they are the original BMP's I have re-downloaded several times from tomtom HOME! I've checked them out, they open in paint and picture programs on my PC they are definately bmp's.

I have been trying to get the unit back to "factory" condition so have taken the files "from source", i'm about there, just seem to be having complete difficulty getting ANY including the "original" startup and shutdown images to show!

I'm sure it's going to be a missing file or something.

It would be nice if TOMTOM actually provided a complete list of what files SHOULD be on the unit from factory, I've asked 4 times now and been told they can't find the information. Blatant lie!

But thanks for trying!

Actually, thinking about it, I dont suppose you could do me a list of what files you have on your 930, the folders they are in, etc could you? please? pretty please?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only got a 720 so not a lot of help to you....

But the complete list of files would be VERY long.
For example, here is a partial list from one of my backups
1. JUST THE FOLDERS and "loose" files:
Quote:
FOLDERS:
art
ASR
audiobooks
bin
contacts
customvoice
demo
ephem
fleetecd
gns
helpme
home images
itn
licences
logging
LoquendoTTS
maps
microbrowser
mp3
photos
poi
ppp
raster
schemes
screen_old
SDKFileCalls
SDKRegistry
sounds
statdata
text
TomTom HOME Install.app
TomTom-Cfg
voices
Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB
zip

-----------
FILES IN ROOT:
antitheftw.bmp
antitheftw.bmp_old
autorun.inf
BOOTEX.LOG
clmdata
connect2internet.db
connect2internet.so
connect2internetdb.ver
CurrentLocation.dat
CurrentMap.dat
data.chk
fm2010parameters
fmsignal
install.bif
InstallTomTomHOME.exe
libaec.so
lowbatteryw.bmp
MapSettings.cfg_backup_ogg
MapSettings.cfg_backupTTS
mctx.dat
pluserror.txt
reflush.log
settings.dat
splashw.bmp
system
tomtom.ico
ttdesk.ver
ttgo.bif
TTPnPD.log
TTPnPD.log1
ttsystem
UserPatch.dat

And every one of those 35 folders has a whole load of files in it...
e.g:
2. CONTENTS OF W.EUROPE FOLDER: (with all my own POI files stripped out)

Quote:

cline.dat
cname.dat
cnode.dat
cphoneme.dat
crpoi.dat
cspeech_AND.dat
cspeech_AUT.dat
cspeech_BEL.dat
cspeech_CHE.dat
cspeech_DEU.dat
cspeech_ESP.dat
cspeech_FRA.dat
cspeech_GBR.dat
cspeech_GIB.dat
cspeech_IRL.dat
cspeech_ITA.dat
cspeech_LIE.dat
cspeech_LUX.dat
cspeech_MCO.dat
cspeech_NLD.dat
cspeech_PRT.dat
cspeech_SMR.dat
cspeech_SWE.dat
cspeech_VAT.dat
DeletedPoi.local
faces.dat
mapinfo.dat
MapServerPatch.dat
MapSettings.cfg
MapUserPatch.dat
PA7322.ov2
PA7326.ov2
PA7380.ov2
PA9373.ov2
PA9374.ov2
PatchFilter.dat
poi.dat
reported safety cameras.bmp
reported safety cameras.ov2
Safety_Cam_UK_TomTom.ov2
Safety_Cam_UK_TomTom.ov2.dct
Safety_Cam_UK_TomTomOv2.ver
ServerLineIndex.dat
ServerNameIndex.dat
tables.dat
tmccodes.dat
traffic.dat
traffic.inc
Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB.pna
Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB-9.meta
Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB-9.meta.dct

(This is not a day one backup, so there are things like MapShare corrections in there).

So you'd have to produce a listing for every other folder too....
Big job....
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, just curious ....

What is in the folder 'maps' on your unit if the W & CE is a standalone folder? Did I remember your saying you have another map installed?
jasonroper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See I have LOADS of those files missing. Would it be possible for you to email/msn or somehow send me copies of the following files which I have missing from my unit?

autorun.inf
BOOTEX.LOG
connect2internet.db
connect2internet.so
connect2internetdb.ver
install.bif
InstallTomTomHOME.exe
lowbatteryw.bmp
MapSettings.cfg_backup_ogg
MapSettings.cfg_backupTTS
reflush.log
ttdesk.ver
TTPnPD.log
TTPnPD.log1

Just to see if any of these make any difference (I bet it will!!)

Also the following folders and their contents;

audiobooks
(obviously not any of your personal files if you've bought any!)

customvoice
demo
home images
licences
microbrowser
screen_old
TomTom HOME Install.app
TomTom-Cfg

If you or anyone with an actual 930 could send me those to jason.roper@btinternet.com I'd be so unbelievably grateful!

I'll update when possible!
bensonboo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 930 Startup issues Reply with quote

jasonroper wrote:
1) Connect your device to your PC and use windows explorer togo to your device.
2) Create a folder anywhere (desktop is always a good place!) and name it "FULL BACKUP" without the speech marks
3) Highlight ALL the contents of your device, folders and all and drag and drop them into your new folder. This creates a FULL backup of your whole device! (Make sure once it's completed copying that you check the map folders match exactly as on the device, this is probably the most important bit!
4) once done, FORMAT the device just as you would any drive, storage card, etc (Right click the drive, select format. Leave all the format settings as they are!)

You should have "show hidden files and folders" ticked to ensure that all are copied first.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn asked
Quote:
Andy, just curious ....

What is in the folder 'maps' on your unit if the W & CE is a standalone folder?

My "maps" folder contains one file called Western_Europe.tlv. It's 1.85kb and I think may have been created when I got WE version 715 using my Latest Map Guarantee, although I have since purchased v720 about a month later. Could this be what tells HOME that you have used LMG???
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasonroper wrote:
See I have LOADS of those files missing. Would it be possible for you to email/msn or somehow send me copies of the following files which I have missing from my unit?

No I'm afraid I can't because MY setup is heavily customised - I told you the list was not from a "day one" backup.
There's a lot there that isn't on a "day one" backup and there's also quite a lot on my "day one" that ISN'T on there now!

For example:
"autorun.inf" is a dos file I've added to show my own choice of TomTom drive icons when I connect to the PC

"MapSettings.cfg_backup_ogg" and "MapSettings.cfg_backupTTS" are my two backups of alternative camera warnings for when the TT forgets them (a common bug and it's easier to keep a spare copy of the file here to paste into the map folder when required. There are two because I regularily swap from TTS voice warnings to my own voice and siren recordings.

A lot of the other files are just logs of things I've changed - "install.bif" for example just says what bootloader and ramdisk versions are in place. Others are generated when I've done something wrong and it has generated a fault log (e.g. "pluserror.txt)

but most importantly, some of those files have encrypted keys for MY maps and MY bought services or my personal id,serial numbers etc., so that's why I won't share them.

Plus there is very nearly 2GBytes in all AND it isn't even the same machine as yours!

Sorry.

Last edited by Andy_P on Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
dhn asked
Quote:
Andy, just curious ....

What is in the folder 'maps' on your unit if the W & CE is a standalone folder?

My "maps" folder contains one file called Western_Europe.tlv. It's 1.85kb and I think may have been created when I got WE version 715 using my Latest Map Guarantee, although I have since purchased v720 about a month later. Could this be what tells HOME that you have used LMG???

Mine also has just one file, in my case it is "Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB.tlv" (even though I have downloaded and installed two maps) There is no similar folder on the SD card where the other map is.
It will open in a text editor and in amongst some unreadable stuff it has things like
Quote:
With this map you can navigate door-to-door anywhere in 25 countries across Western & Central Europe. The following countries are included: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic.....

It also seems to have a list of all the files in the map download package, so it looks like it is something generated by Home.

I've only noticed it because we always tell people to put things like POI files "into your maps folder". I now make a point of saying "into your NAMED map's folder" or something like that!
jasonroper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally understand, but thanks anyway. Well, after 2 attempts to uninstall both HOME and the GO930 Software and re-install i'm still no better off. Still no startup still no shutdown/anti theft!

Just a white screen at startup and black screen at shutdown. What I have noticed though is that when I go to the setting to change my startup screen it either says no "photos" found, or I will get a thumbnail of the antitheft and splash but they are just grey boxes, no actual preview of the file as oyu would expect.

I'm wondering if there is a file that allows bmp's to show on the OS that is missing!??

Obviously there is no access to the OS drive from the PC (Iassume its hidden and only accessible by some sort of hack, which I dont want to get into!

Still NO reply from tomtom and the guy I've been dealing wiht has gone on holiday for 2 weeks now!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, can you email me one of your startup or shutdown screens so I can look at it?

darrenATpocketgpsworld.com
jasonroper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emailed what I could!

Hope you can help!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: