Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ideas for speed camera verification
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ideas for speed camera verification

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick_Russell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Ideas for speed camera verification Reply with quote

The small band of people who verify speed cameras do a great job and I'm sure are appreciated by all.

By their nature it takes a long tine for mobile locations to be verified so here are some suggestions how this might be improved.

1) Accept any verification of a mobile camera by a member with a lifetime subscription.

2) Give all verifiers free lifetime membership. I would have thought giving each one £19 per year is a very small price to pay for their good work and a few more may volunteer.

Any other ideas or comments on these?
City Navigator Europe NT 2008. GarminPOI Loader 2.5.2
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both great ideas which is why we do them already Laughing
missing_user

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas for speed camera verification Reply with quote

Nick_Russell wrote:
The small band of people who verify speed cameras do a great job and I'm sure are appreciated by all.

By their nature it takes a long tine for mobile locations to be verified so here are some suggestions how this might be improved.

1) Accept any verification of a mobile camera by a member with a lifetime subscription.

Verification is to a set of standards set within a small group.

The larger the verifier group the less accurate the database!

Any new member, can submit one camera location, have it accepted and become a 'lifer' in a short space of time. That new member is hardly going to know the criteria for verification!

2) Give all verifiers free lifetime membership. I would have thought giving each one £19 per year is a very small price to pay for their good work and a few more may volunteer.

As far as I remember all Verifiers are 'lifers'.

Any other ideas or comments on these?

The Verification team should remain a 'closed' and select group.
Yes, they have been doing a great job!
Nick_Russell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't actually addressed the points I made.

1) Mobile camera are by their very nature usually not present. If a mobile camera is shown as provisional, how does it compromise verification process if it is simply confirmed by a lifetime member? It may take many months for an official verifier to drive past a mobile location on the very day the camera is there.

2) I didn't say make verifiers lifers I said offer then free lifetime membership.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick_Russell wrote:
You haven't actually addressed the points I made.

I thought 'I' had.
Quote:
1) Mobile camera are by their very nature usually not present. If a mobile camera is shown as provisional, how does it compromise verification process if it is simply confirmed by a lifetime member? It may take many months for an official verifier to drive past a mobile location on the very day the camera is there.

Which is why we employ a great many methods. Although our verifiers do a superb job, they can't be everywhere all the time so we use other methods in conjunction with and as well as verifiers.

Mobiles are obviously very difficult.
Quote:
2) I didn't say make verifiers lifers I said offer then free lifetime membership.

They automatically become life members when they become verifiers.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick_Russell wrote:
1) Mobile camera are by their very nature usually not present. If a mobile camera is shown as provisional, how does it compromise verification process if it is simply confirmed by a lifetime member? It may take many months for an official verifier to drive past a mobile location on the very day the camera is there..
I'm afraid that you haven't done enough research into how the verification of mobiles works!

Nick_Russell wrote:
Isn't that the same thing?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Nick_Russell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren - sorry I was talking about strumbles reply.

JockTamsonsBairn's comment -
1) Of course I haven't any research into this. I simply proposed a confirmation from a lifetime member might be accepted as a provisional mobile camera verification. What more is there to research, it was only a suggestion to help people.

2) No, I said give them FREE lifetime membership NOT make them lifetime members, however I guess only lifetime members can become verifiers so they already have free membership. My suggestion only valid if you were offering lifetime memberships to people to become verifiers and I guess you wouldn't want to do this.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you are getting at, but part of becoming a verifier, like myself, is to supply consistently accurate camera data when a normal subscriber. I had to become a lifetime member to become a verifier.

For your other point about mobile locations. Yes every 'seen again' report helps us in adding/removing pending mobile locations, but there are a lot of factors to consider when allowing/disallowing a mobile location. You wouldn`t believe how many reports we verifiers get of locations of fixed and mobile units that are quite laughably incorrect. Every report is treated seriously though, and verified correctly. Im not sure if im allowed to list all the requirements here, but even once we have 'verified' a mobile location, it does take 2 further sightings from different people to the submitter, ie making a total of 3 sightings, for the location to become active and move from a pMobile to a Mobile in the PGPSW database.

Hope this helps Smile

iPhone 12
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify here. You don't have to be a lifetime member to become a verifier but if appointed you are automatically upgraded to Lifetime.

We don't actively recruit verifiers. We have many members offering their services and make appointments based on geographical locale, camera submission history etc.

A member may have reported a great many cameras but never got the 'golden ticket' first report. However we can see from our records if their submissions have been accurate.

The quality of the data we publish is of paramount importance to us and we work hard to ensure it remains accurate and gets better so any suggestions are always welcome.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: