Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Website for the GPS techies!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Website for the GPS techies!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GarminNok
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Website for the GPS techies! Reply with quote

Hi all,

I thought some of you may be interested in my website.
Basically, it's an MMS picture posting site which enables you to take a picture/video on your mobile phone and instead of sending it as a MultiMedia Message to another mobile/cell phone, you can send it straight to my site. For instance, if you were out and about and saw someone famous, something of interest or whatever, you could post it to the Web within seconds. You can also add comments in your mms which will display along with your image and other users can post comments up when viewing it online.

Now, you may be asking yourself the question, "What does this have to do with pocketgpsworld?" - a very good question. The answer is this: I have recently written some new code which adds the ability to post Geotagged photos if your device can receive the GPS co-ords. For example, I have a Nokia N95 and a small free app running on it called 'Location Tagger'. This connects to the satellites and when I take my picture, it tags them. I can then post it to my site and a small satellite icon will appear with the image - click on that and Google Maps will open showing you where the image was taken. This can be tied in to this site for instance, if you see a new speed camera, a camera being removed or something amusing relating to one - you could take a picture and 30 seconds later, the whole world can see the image and where it was taken.

It is completely free to join and the only cost involved is the data transfer of the image (charged by your mobile network, not me). However, if you have a decent data plan, it won't cost you anything.

There is also the ability to send it to the site and copy it to an email address at the same time and finally, if you can't MMS, it is possible to email the site with the image instead.

I do already have other users and posts on the site so this isn't aimed specifically at pocketgpsworld - however, if there's enough interest, I am more than happy to design one that is purely for the use of pocketgpsworld users. I will of course do all this for free. Why free? Well I'm totally absorbed in learning all about gps and love everything surrounding it, so why charge for something I dig so much?!

The way you setup your phone, is by adding an extra MMS profile/access point and changing the url inside that profile. For instance, with the O2 network in the UK, you change the URL from mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002 to the one described in your signup email. It's all very easy to do.

If you are interested, please feel free to have a look around the site: http://www.phreemms.com and if you'd like to signup and give it a go, click the little lightning icon at the top. I also have a forum you can join and post up any problems or findings you may have.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

This post has been made after discussion with Darren as to whether or not it was suitable.
nuvi350za
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice web.

Thanks for posting

Very Happy
GarminNok
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuvi350za wrote:
Nice web.
Thanks for posting
Very Happy

No probs nuvi350za! Feel free to join the site whenever you wish Smile
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll have a look tonight, thanks for posting, nice to see innovative ideas Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: