Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 930 start up issues
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

930 start up issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The splash images you sent are wrong, they are for narrow screen devices and will not work on widescreen models such as yours unless re-sized.

I have emailed you start-up and shutdown screens in the correct sizes.
jasonroper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbelievable! The worked perfectly first time!!!

So why is TOMTOM HOME downloading and installing the wrong sized images??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jasonroper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so check this out,

I manually copied the 2 files Darren sent to me directly to the device via windows explorer and they worked perfectly!

I opened tomtom HOME and downloaded 2 other startup and shutdown images and installed to my tomtom viahome and guess what......

Blank white startup screen and blank black shut down screen!

I suspect that my unit is or has registered itself in HOME with the wrong screen resolution and is therefore downloading and installing the wrong size files. There is no option in HOME to chose screen size of files!

Also I have noticed that when my tomtom is connected to HOME, when I go to the section "Add Maps, Traffic, Voices, Etc/Images & Icons, Ive noticed the two "buttons" for "start-up images" and "shut-down images" are grey and not colour. The "car symbol" "button is in colour and I have no problem installing or using different car icons!

I can still click on them and search/download, etc but im wondering if this is part of the problem???

Any ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, Have a look at This Thread which contains lots of splash screens than can be used on your device, you will have to convert them to bitmaps and only use the widescreen ones, I don't use Home unless absolutely necessary as I simply don't trust it - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just had a quick check and as far as I can see you can download all sizes and it isn't always clear if they are wide screen or not.
jasonroper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both of you.

I have noticed though that when you download them through HOME, as it whizzes past, ive watched it and spotted it allegedly copying the files and have noticed the normal bitmap AND the bitmapfile ending in "w" which I was told are the widescreen versions!!

But by the looks of it the non "w" ones are being copied to the root.

The other thing is like I said before, when I got through the startup settings on the device and it asks "do you want to change your startup image?" I select yes and get a sort of browser like the cars one which i assume show all the images to choose from. I can see the different files and their names underneath, but the boxes that are supposed to be the thumbnail of each picture are blank!!

So there's definately something more than just wrong image size.

Just don't understand why the 2 images you sent me darren DO WORK though!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the splash images are the wrong size then you would see a blank. Just tried it on a 520, downloaded and copied image fine but it's narrow screen so doesn't work and doesn't show in the view images browser.
jasonroper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, curiouser and curiouser!

Apparently, after a little playing, you can use jpg or bmp images for the startup screen as long as they are the right dimension of 480 * 272 pixels!

YOu store them in the "photos" folder on your GO 930. When you go to the startup menuand say yes to change, they ALL show in the browser.

The one you select is automatically renamed to splash.bmp and is copied over the splash.bmp file in the root. (I.E. If you look at the splashw.bmp file in the root drive it will be the startup pic you have chosen!)

Cool. Thanks so much you guys, TOMTOM should employ people like you to do their support!!!!

On a side, after hijacking this thread!! (Sorry!!) I wonder if superleeds has managed to get his unit working??

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: