Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOMTOM 3 Full of bugs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOMTOM 3 Full of bugs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hegedusa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: TOMTOM 3 Full of bugs Reply with quote

I purchased tomtom 3 from navcity in Tottenham Court Road last thursday - I already had tomtom2 but I wanted to get a bluetooth gps as my wired gps was broken. At under £200 this seemed like a good deal.

However, I'm very unhappy with the whole thing.
The software is much the same as before - the icons look different, I can route via stopovers and that's about it. Yes, the roads are updated in my area (but towns are missing!). There is more functionality in the MAP view (I can get alternate routes - not sure if I could do that before).

I use an IPAQ 3870 pocket pc.

1. On install, I had to manually delete the old maps on my SD card in order to install the new maps. I thought this was meant to be automatic?

2. After install, navigator would not run - application fault occurred. I reinstalled and it still didn't work. I then did a hard reset and cleared the memory of the pocket pc and it seemed to work.

3. The application ran VERY slowly. I thought initially it was the IPAQ reorganising its RAM, but I left it for 15 minutes and it was still slow. I tried only installing a 32Mb map in RAM rather than the SD CARD (I removed the SD Card) and it was still slow. I think the slowness is caused by bluetooth - it seemed to speed up when switching off the "com8" setting in the gps application. I tried it later and it seems now fast, if it has made a bluetooth connection, but slow if I've turned the machine off then back on. By slow, I mean unusable.

4. If I turn the pocket pc off, and then back on it usually fails to find the bluetooth GPS. I need to either reset the pocket pc, or go into the gps application and disable then re-enable the serial port (sometimes).

5. Some of my local towns are missing! Billericay (my home town) and Chelmsford (a larger town nearby) are not listed (in tomtom2 they were). I can type the name of a smaller nearby village, or a medium sized town nearby to find streets but it's very annoying.

6. No documentation was in the box concerning the gps unit - how long is the battery supposed to last?

7. After leaving the bluetooth gps receiver on and connected to the power in the car, the blue LED turned red and the unit just refused to respond. I had to open it up and disconnect the battery a number of times whilst pressing and holding down the button to persuade it to reset and start working again.

I don't think this product is anywhere near ready for release. If bluetooth isn't as easy as using a wired connection, then they shouldn't sell a bluetooth solution. WHen I used a wired connection, I could just plug in my pocket pc and 5 seconds later it worked. Now it's a little game of "switch off the gps, switch it on, reset the pocket pc, wait, start the application, hope it connects, maybe switch off and on, then wait a bit"!
I am in particular curious about the best way to turn off the pocket pc and/or the bluetooth gps when I have arrived at a destination so as to ensure that when I get back in the car I can quickly start to use it.

Does anyone else have problems like this?

Anthony
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh dear... Have you already installed the update 3.01 ?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Carll
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: TT3; my opinion Reply with quote

Smile Smile Smile
I have to say that having had TT2, and now TT3 for a week, I like what they have done. The system works as it should, even before the first upgrade to 3.01.
The free major roads of Europe is great, and the itinery works just fine.
The maps are now quite up to date (I have not fouind an error yet) and runs just as quickly.
With both the European and UK detailed maps installed, I do use most of my SD card, so I am not yet sure if I shall leave the European maps on, once I have been to Amsterdam next month.
I liked TT2, it did what it said on the tin. I have traditionally had a boot full of those OS detailed maps by county. Now I have got my boot back!
TT3 is a good next version, if you disagree, have alook at a new release of a microsoft porduct, and see how quickly updates start to appear, oh, and the cost of either the upgrade or the full version. I think TT3 is priced correctly, and a free upgrade is great, Microsoft, Etal; are you all listening???
Checkpoint works just fine with it, and the postcode system developed by Niels Thomsen works just fine with it as well, on this note I think TT could have put alittle more effort into getting a proper postcode system, I go to lots of business addresses that do not have a propper address other than so and so, on so and so road, with Niels's program I can navigate straight to the location, well done Niels.
Anyway I'll get off my soap box now and go play some more with my pocket PC, oh well done for speeding the site back up, keep up the great work guys.
hegedusa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
oh dear... Have you already installed the update 3.01 ?

Yes I've installed 3.01 update. I still have the problem that if I turn off the ppc, I can't get ttn3 to see the bluetooth gps unless I switch off and on the serial port or most probably do a reset. It just doesn't work as well as the serial wired gps unit. I suspect this has nothing to do with version 3 of the software as such, more to do with the bluetooth solution.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That normally ocurrs if you haven't exited the app before switching off. It's primarily a BT issue and not a TT issue.
hegedusa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
That normally ocurrs if you haven't exited the app before switching off. It's primarily a BT issue and not a TT issue.

So is the correct way to power down to exit the application first?

Any idea why TomTom don't tell you that in a manual? (well at least it's not in any of the documentation I got...)

Does anyone know the simplest way of getting the ppc to "see" the BT device after it's been inadvertently switched off? Do some versions of pocket PC fare better than others?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, PocketPC 2002 machines normally don't have these issues. They patiently wait until the device comes back online....

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Lost1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got TTN3 yet but I had lots of the same problems with my Blue Tooth TTN2 when I first started to use it.

I use it every day to travel to various sites around my home county and have no problems turning it off and on again 5 or 6 times a day now.

I always leave it in navigator and it is ready for use as soon as I have powered up and made the connection to the GPS (this usually only takes seconds). However, I did find that I needed to turn the Pocket PC (iPAQ 1945) off first and then the GPS. Although it is a blue tooth set up I do tend to use it in the car cradle and attach the charging wire to the GPS to keep it all fully charged.
hegedusa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Yes, PocketPC 2002 machines normally don't have these issues. They patiently wait until the device comes back online....

I have a pocketpc2002 device. Should I upgrade to ppc 2003? (which is "out of stock" according to the american-centric HP site, which for months had a link that said the ppc2003 upgrade is only available to US Citizens and now doesn't have it available at all).

I have an ipaq 3870.
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would you normally turn your desktop pc running windows off, without exiting programs>???? Confused

best to exit all running programs on a ppc before turning it of.

This way the programe shuts down as it should, and low risk of losing data.

Cheers
Nick
hegedusa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That question doesn't make for a fair comparison. Windows on the pocket PC doesn't actually need to be restarted and started the whole time like windows for desktop PCs. Do you exit all the applications on your pocketpc, every single one, before switching off?

Besides, it used to work fine with the wired GPS. And I've found that exitting the program doesn't always work. Sometimes the GPS app is still running in the background.

Why can't bluetooth actually be made to ever work properly? For example, every so often, the bluetooth hardware goes wrong and I need to reset the pocketpc anyway.

Nick412 wrote:
would you normally turn your desktop pc running windows off, without exiting programs>???? Confused

Cheers
Nick
Carll
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hegedusa wrote:
That question doesn't make for a fair comparison. Windows on the pocket PC doesn't actually need to be restarted and started the whole time like windows for desktop PCs. Do you exit all the applications on your pocketpc, every single one, before switching off?

Besides, it used to work fine with the wired GPS. And I've found that exitting the program doesn't always work. Sometimes the GPS app is still running in the background.

Why can't bluetooth actually be made to ever work properly? For example, every so often, the bluetooth hardware goes wrong and I need to reset the pocketpc anyway.

Nick412 wrote:

Cheers
Nick

Actually this is a fair statement. I have a Dell Axim X5, and it comes with a switcher function, which keeps track of the running programs. Yes i do propperly close a program, and not simply mimimise it as a pocket PC tries to do. I do this because I know what happens with a full blown pc.
Also, I have a Nokia Bluetooth phone, and it quite often drops the connection, which again could lock up the pc.
hegedusa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carll wrote:
hegedusa wrote:

Nick412 wrote:

Cheers
Nick

Actually this is a fair statement. I have a Dell Axim X5, and it comes with a switcher function, which keeps track of the running programs. Yes i do propperly close a program, and not simply mimimise it as a pocket PC tries to do. I do this because I know what happens with a full blown pc.
Also, I have a Nokia Bluetooth phone, and it quite often drops the connection, which again could lock up the pc.

When you switch off a pocket PC it's supposed to go into standby, suspending all running processes until it's turned on again. Most of the time, it works. Apps like calendar, calculator etc. work fine like this. So did TomTom with the serial lead and the wires gps. The fact that some applications don't work properly when the ppc is turned off just shows how badly implemented the ppc OS is (come on, it's *supposed* to be turned on and off rapdily - it's not a small desktop pc - it's a pocket device) or how flaky the bluetooth protocol is. I'm not saying you're wrong of course, I'm just saying that it's pretty poor that ppc won't let you turn a device off and on again without a problem.

Comparing a ppc to a windows desktop isn't quite the right thing to do. Comparing ppc to Palm is more of an apples-for-applies comparison, surely? Does anyone have any information regarding using tomtom on a palm?
FastLaneJB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I've been reading this forum for a week or so but have yet to register but this post has forced me to register so I can throw my opinion into the mix.

I got an XDA 2 recently along with a Bluetooth GPS and Tom Tom 2. For the most part I have no issues but on occasions I have to reset the XDA 2 to get it all working again.

It's my first experience with the Pocket PC OS and my opinion is that it is really quite poor. Sure there is a great wealth of apps which are available which brings me to the platform but if it wasn't for that I wouldn't have got the XDA 2. It's really just for running Tom Tom for the most part.

I run Windows XP on the various machines in my house and most of them stay on all the time with no problems or crashing. My work machine for instance has been running for 42 days without a reboot. It only gets rebooted for updates. My game machine gets turned off but when it's on I also have no problems with it.

My laptop also running Windows XP goes into standby or hibernation with no problems at all with or without bluetooth turned on.

My Sony P900 (Symbian OS) which is my phone never needs rebooting and never crashes and despite not syncing as well with Outlook as the XDA 2 I believe it to have much better PDA functions and intergration with the OS. It's also got way more programs installed on it than my XDA 2 does, it also multitasks better and seems quicker for some tasks despite having a much slower CPU. It's a shame Tom Tom for the P900 isn't out yet.

So to sum up, the Pocket PC OS isn't stable in my opinion or overly good. Maybe without a bluetooth GPS it would be better but my XDA 2 is also a phone, bluetooth should be working without all of these issues. It doesn't even support a serial port profile using the Microsoft bluetooth stack that ships with the XDA 2 as basic. I've had to add a third party solution to fix that, as I'm sure any other Pocket PC's with serial bluetooth support have had to do. I'm normally quite a big MS fan so I'm quite disappointed by this. I do love Tom Tom however Smile
Devilin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be mistaken but with smart ST 2 and a BT 4410 my 2210 wouldn't start if I turned it off with the app running. Since installing the 2210 bios upgrade last week I think the problem has been fixed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: