Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navcore 8 Upgrade for Older Devices Released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navcore 8 Upgrade for Older Devices Released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I tried to correct speed limits near home and gave up in utter frustration. An option not to download speed limit changes would be useful.

GPS_fan wrote:
Is the speed limit correction utility in v8.010 really such a great idea?

At best, this is a fiddly process even when trying to use a stylus instead of large fingers with roads accidentally being selected whilst trying to scroll the map across the screen.

At worst, this is leaving users open to the probability of downloading incorrect or inaccurate data submitted by other users.

Trying to de-select roads on roundabouts is nigh on impossible and takes incredible dexterity and patience. Additionally, the selection tool in most cases only allows the user to select a road between junctions, so correctly placing a speed limit change near the sign is not always possible.

Having spent some considerable time painstakingly correcting and adding speed limits, my GO720 then randomly selected which of these new speed limits it would use, whilst reverting back to original data whenever it chooses.

Initially, I thought it might have been MapShare downloading updates which have then overwritten some of my hard work, but there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason as to which speed limit corrections are 'stored' even without connecting the device to MapShare.
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor1234 wrote:
By the way, I don’t want to be a Party Pooper but I don’t understand all the fuss about the compass on the Go. Seriously, I cant think what one would need the compass for. Surely the device is for finding one’s way from A to B and the software does that job admirably.
Can someone explain please.

I used the option to point compass to destination. You could then meander backroads to your hearts content while heading in the general desired direction (or, as someone else has pointed out, avoid jams)
LB-Greg
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's little point in changing the speed unless the roads have a kph limit (EURO). The mph speed correction is difficult and often gives limits at 31mph or 49mph.

Perhaps better to wait for an update Rolling Eyes
imp750
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

mikealder Posted:

Tobas wrote:
I just extracted the .cab contents straight onto the 920. Maybe TTH does something more than that?

Other than performing the download what you have done is the same as TomTom Home would have done - Mike

When I done the update via home the ASR function did not show as an option to use, but when I done the update by just copy over the loose files from the .cab, it showed and works fine.

But yesterday while using bluetooth handsfree my 520 locked up, this is the first time it has happened, having owned the device for 7 months.

I have also found the RDS-TMC Traffic working correctly.

Ian
Mojo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the new navcore fix the bluetooth hissing issue on the TT x20 range?
Home 2.7.3.1894
mikentl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojo wrote:

Not with me it doesn't, It is just about usable. The hiss is louder than the voice.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi alanji
Re the compass. Yes, I see what you mean.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Drudeboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
It's gotta mean something if we all go round jumping for joy when TomTom bring out an update which cures the power on switch and very little else. Rolling Eyes

I have never had this power on problem on my 520, it's like some mobile phones, it's the 'letting go' of the button that powers on, so if you keep it pressed nothing will happen, it's the same on my mwg atom life.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drudeboy wrote:
DennisN wrote:
It's gotta mean something if we all go round jumping for joy when TomTom bring out an update which cures the power on switch and very little else. Rolling Eyes

I have never had this power on problem on my 520, it's like some mobile phones, it's the 'letting go' of the button that powers on, so if you keep it pressed nothing will happen, it's the same on my mwg atom life.

Sorry, but it sounds to me as though you've never tried running App 7.481 on it. I've had a fair bit of experience pushing TT power switches and I assure you that letting go too soon in App 7.481 produces nothing. Keeping it pressed for several seconds was the only way to get it to power up - woe betide you if you let go before the screen flickers!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is definitely a difference in the powering on time between v7.481 and v8.010 - with v8.010 being almost instantaneous, whist v7.481 seemed to take an eternity
Drudeboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Drudeboy wrote:
DennisN wrote:

Sorry, but it sounds to me as though you've never tried running App 7.481 on it. I've had a fair bit of experience pushing TT power switches and I assure you that letting go too soon in App 7.481 produces nothing. Keeping it pressed for several seconds was the only way to get it to power up - woe betide you if you let go before the screen flickers!

I had 7.481 and had no problems whatsoever, it always turned on with a couple or three second push and release.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drudeboy wrote:
I had 7.481 and had no problems whatsoever, it always turned on with a couple or three second push and release.

Amazing (and hasty, sincere apologies for falsely accusing you of not giving it a try Embarassed Not Worthy ) I had been under the impression that everybody with 7.481 was pulling their hair out over this "feature". Yet another example perhaps of only the (few?) complainers posting, whilst the majority have no problems.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Yes, there is definitely a difference in the powering on time between v7.481 and v8.010 - with v8.010 being almost instantaneous, whist v7.481 seemed to take an eternity

For info:

NOT on actual x30 devices themselves it's not - it takes a good while to switch on.

BUT, I am aware, that for you x20 users, who utilise the NavCore 8 update, it seems it has greatly speeded up boot times.

Weird that it's not so on actual x30 devices themselves eh.

(Oh and aware this particular thread is for the x20 users - hence the "for info only" bit. I just thought this element of cross device overlap, and subsequent behaviour difference, was worthy of mention).

To be fair, even as an 8.002 user, of a x30 device, I find the boot time, in no way especially fast, but at the same time, no way especially any different from my old 720 on 7.221.

Hope this tidbit is interesting at least for x20 users.
Mojo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikentl wrote:
Mojo wrote:

Not with me it doesn't, It is just about usable. The hiss is louder than the voice.

Does that mean the bluetooth hissing issue is a hardware fault rather than a software fault?
Home 2.7.3.1894
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turning on took about a 5 second press on 7.481, and was exactly the same when I upgraded Joker to 7.221. On 8.010 it only needs the briefest of pushes of the button.

I must say though that the old way never bothered me and I thought it was a feature to prevent turning it on accidentally.

All the other improvements in 8.010 are very worth while.

Now, if inly I could get the old compass back Stop it!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 15 of 34

Jump to: