Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - My OneXL needs W-Europe maps, which one do i get?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

My OneXL needs W-Europe maps, which one do i get?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chef_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: My OneXL needs W-Europe maps, which one do i get? Reply with quote

I only have the GB maps for my OneXL as i never thought i would be driving abroad alas here i am about to drive to Omaha Beach next month and so am after the maps. Can i just get the Western European SD card off amazon for £37:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-Map-Western-Europe-2007/dp/B000Q884LI/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_4

Or do i need a sepecific one for my XL?

Also can i get it cheaper anywhere else?

Thanks alot Smile
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cheaper than downloading version 720 from Tomtom at £59.99, but I can't see anywhere where it identifies the version. I suspect it's an out-of-date version.

But if you don't expect to go to Europe often, it would probably get you where you want to go ok.

I'm not sure about compatability. the latest maps seem to be for specific devices. I expect someone else will be along to advicce soon.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like it 's probably the v710 mapping (going by the 2007 date and the fact these are the only versions released on SD card in ages!)

There have been two releases since then, and also you need to know that these cards have the copy protection set, so apparently you cannot copy them to a larger card or make a backup.
Chef_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, so if i had to get the one above it will work fine in the OneXL albeit swapping the cards over as we cross the channel?
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
This looks like it 's probably the v710 mapping (going by the 2007 date and the fact these are the only versions released on SD card in ages!)

The Technical Details say version 6.75.

Chef_uk wrote:
Thanks guys, so if i had to get the one above it will work fine in the OneXL albeit swapping the cards over as we cross the channel?

Compatability doesn't mention the ONE XL, only ONE Original although, of course, that doesn't mean it isn't compatible. I don't know enough about the different ONEs to comment!
Samsung Galaxy S21
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cor Blimey! v6.75 are really old!!
(Well only just under a year, but there have been three version 7 maps since then).

They will work fine in the One XL, but I'd advise getting something a bit newer.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget also that whichever you get will cover UK as well so, if you get version 7.20 from TT you'll also be updating your current GB & Ireland map to the latest version.
Chef_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ta Smile i reinstalled TThome and saw it was on V2 which i have to say is alot nicer. I see 7.20v of W.Europe is only £59.99 downloaded which i would be happy to do. Any limitiations though? Can i download them to any SD card or can i just overwrite the uk/ie one i have in it now? Or again is it not as easy as that?
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't know for sure. When I updated the map on my 720, HOME did it all for me, and it overwrote the existing map.

Make sure you have an explorer backup before you do any updating then if things should go wrong you can always reinstall it while you sort it out.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just updated my Western Europe map, and managed to do so by the skin of my teeth.

Before doing anything else, I backed up everything on my One, using windows explorer.

I went to the TT website where I had created my account, and went through the process of choosing and paying for the map. This then makes it available as an "update" via Home.

I then opened Home, (and updated it to the latest version)and connected the One. Selecting "Update" from the menu gave me access to the map. Then by following the prompts, Home will automatically download the map to the PC, and install it on the One without any further action.

I have a working copy of the old map with all the necessary software on a 2gb SD card, which was half full, and fortunately this is what I was using, because the installation does not overwrite the old map, but installs the new one alongside it. This meant that my 2GB card was now almost full, and if I had used a smaller one, there wouldn't have been enough space.

At this stage, with both maps on the card, it was a simple process using windows explorer, to copy over from the old map folder to the new one, the PGPS speed camera OV2, BMP and OGG files, as well as the MapSettings.cfg file, which gave me access to all my old favourites, and home location.

The speed camera POIs all needed individually re-activating, via "Warn when near POI", and this gave me the only problem, because several of the OGG files (those for average speed areas) don't seem to work, and I have to use Bongs, rather than the spoken warnings.

Apart from that hiccup, it went smoothly. If you have a smaller card, then after backup, you would need to delete the map folder to give space for the new map. POIs, and MapSettings.cfg would need to be copied from the backup location once the map is installed, but it is all reasonably straightforward.
Chef_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to only have 256mb, is that right?

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/6889/ttvz9.jpg

If thats correct does that mean my only option is to buy the maps on a seperate SD card?

Last edited by Chef_uk on Fri May 30, 2008 11:47 am; edited 2 times in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The supplied card contains the software and the map folder which is what the device will be using, not all TomTom One XL devices were supplied with internal flash memory.
You can still download a new different map to the unit but you will need to purchase a decent sized SD card with a high read speed, stick to the reputable makes from reputable sources for this, the Sandisk Extreme-III range are known to work well with the TomTom units. If the card is too slow the device will reject it and refuse to boot.
(2GB is probably the size you should be looking at, 4GB SD cards are difficult to obtain and the XL will not support SDHC type memory cards)

Copy the old card to the PC then copy the files and folders to the new card insert this to the TomTom and make sure it will boot up and function correctly. Now purchase, download and install the map you require using TomTom Home - Mike
Chef_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot Mike. Will get that all done Friday and report back with how it went.
Chef_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep it worked Smile Took 3 hours to download mind Sad

I had a 2gb card in my camera so i deleted its contents through WI and then copied over the tomtom files on to the camera as that was the only way i could get the files on to a different card. I then tested it in the TT like you said and it worked so went ahead and downloaded the map.

What i have now is both maps, UK&IE and Western Europe. I'm guessing i can just delete the UK/IE folder through WI now? Or shall i keep it on it just in case?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can delete the map you no longer require but I would make sure you have a copy of it on the PC somewhere just in case you decide to use it again.
You should be able to use the TomTom as a card reader rather than messing around with a camera, just plug it in to the PC and the card should appear as a separate drive letter which you can use via Windows Explorer.
3 hours isn't too bad, some forum members have reported this taking all night! - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: