Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map Activation Failed - Wrong Product Code (No Illegality!)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map Activation Failed - Wrong Product Code (No Illegality!)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Map Activation Failed - Wrong Product Code (No Illegality!) Reply with quote

Mmmm - great.

After waiting since Friday for TomTom to assign my new 730 device ID, to replace the failed 720 I had, and chasing them up twice today, I find it is now finally sorted.

So I run Latest Map Guarantee tonight, and it duly downloads for me "Western and Central Europe 2GB v8.05" and installs it to my device.

Excellent.

Except I now find I have NO device, as when I switch it on, I get a big red error warning:

Activation Failed
Sorry, this is not the correct activation code, for product "Western_And_Central_Europe_2GB"

If I click continue, I am asked to then choose a map, but of course this IS the only map.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks, and rest assured, this is all legitimate, I had to send them the receipt scan just to have it added.

Lord, I have to say, I despise the Security Measures TomTom thrust upon us.

Cheers all/any.

If not, it's a call to them in the morning.
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shad

OT I am afraid!

What's with the ATC logo, bit old to be a Cadet???.

My eldest is dancing around in joy tonight, she just got accepted for Wing Gliding Bursary.
Traffic Via GPRS Data
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vicky wrote:
Hi Shad

OT I am afraid!

What's with the ATC logo, bit old to be a Cadet???.

My eldest is dancing around in joy tonight, she just got accepted for Wing Gliding Bursary.

My youngest brother was for many years, before changing to the Greener of the forces, in the Royal Signals, and then Cap Badging over to the Parachute Regiment and being in the Army for real for five years.

He eventually came out, and has now followed in my footsteps, and he has been a Police Officer for seven months.

But the main reason is because my 14 year old son is in, loves it, has just been promoted to Corporal, and his Dad (Me) is Chairman of the Civilian Management Committee, and it's my way of saying Thank You, and advertising the ATC - every teenage child/young adult should do it - he's gained so much from it!

Well spotted too Vicky, and good luck for your daughter - that's a great achievement, and sure to make you proud (and save you a penny or two too Wink ).
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a Heads Up to say I completely removed the Map Folder from my device, then ran TomTom home, and went to Install Maps.

It rightly found the new 8.05 already on my PC (as it downloads it first when using LMG).

I therefore clicked to install it, and it set about copying it across to my device.

Eventually, it said the copy was done.

BUT...

Try and use my device, and we get the exact same error.

Nice one TomTom.

Oh well, a call to them in the morning, is no hardship.

The three days run-around this is then sure to be with First and Second Line Support IS MASSIVELY unfair, given this stupid Piracy Protection Procedure anyhow - I am dead against piracy, before anyone wonders.

It's just that TomTom's methods of handling this, all but assume every genuine one of us, is a thief and criminal, and place the burden on US to prove we are not - and a heavy burden and lots of hoop jumping at that.

See MikeDean2's post, fourth from the BOTTOM, in HERE for a nice summing up of it.

Not really what you want, when your already miffed at TT for your previous device failing on you etc etc.
kichu1979
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget about calling TomTom and fixing the problem.

The easiest solution is to register your device with completely new TomTom account.

You are not the first one to report this problem, after TomTom manually changed the device ID on your account.

Read here

http://www.yournav.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12047
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kichu1979 wrote:
Forget about calling TomTom and fixing the problem.

The easiest solution is to register your device with completely new TomTom account.

You are not the first one to report this problem, after TomTom manually changed the device ID on your account.

Read here

http://www.yournav.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12047

Except doing so, I will lose all my Plus Services and Purchased Maps.

Hence why it NEEDS to be on the same account.

Besides, as the Initial Post states, they have ALREADY added my device to my account, hence how I was then able to download the Latest Map anyway - the one that now won't work.

But thanks for the link - gonna have a read now anyway mate, cheers.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add/update:

Rang Support this morning - less than useless - didn't have a clue, but wanted LOADS of data from me via Return Message.

Supplied all this, and waited all day. Zilch.

Rang up, and was told I hadn't supplied the "System Info" however. (Good job I RANG then, as they never bothered replying to the Question History to tell me this, did they?).

Email didn't ASK FOR IT, said I.

Oops, sorry, yes, said they.

Supplied that now, and now I am back to waiting on second line to twiddle their thumbs.

I must say, as this all sounds like it stems from the way they do Manual Device ID Assignments, this SERIOUSLY cheeses me off about the way TomTom make you do this, when you get a new, or exchange device.

As I have various Plus Services - I need this device on my existing account - so just starting a new one, is ruled out.
kichu1979
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the error is related to their activation server, the one that generates the activation code for you. Looks like as if it is not aware
of the device code change and activates your map for your old account.
kichu1979
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hint. You can upgrade your maps on the new account, and go back to the old one for using plus services. This solution worked for the yournav.com
poster I quoted earlier.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kichu1979 wrote:
A hint. You can upgrade your maps on the new account, and go back to the old one for using plus services. This solution worked for the yournav.com
poster I quoted earlier.

Yeah I have read there, and noticed that.

But not quite understood how, or what he actually did...?

Did you understand it? Can you explain better?

And again, thanks for your help.
kichu1979
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You register new account on TomTom webpage, then you use that new account data (username and password) to login via TomTom HOME.

You do the Map Guarantee Upgrade, then you login again using your
old account so you could use the plus services.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kichu1979 wrote:
You register new account on TomTom webpage, then you use that new account data (username and password) to login via TomTom HOME.

You do the Map Guarantee Upgrade, then you login again using your
old account so you could use the plus services.

1) Create a new TomTom account on their website. {yup, this bit is easy enough}

2) Fire up TomTom Home on the PC, connect new device, and use new username to login. {Easy enough too}

3) Download map using LMG. {again, easy enough}

4) "You login again using your old account, so you could use the plus services"

Woh, you lost me there. Log in to what? With what. If I log in to My TomTom on the web, my Plus Services and Maps will be there, but the new device will not be assigned to it, obviously, as this beleongs a to a different TomTom Email account.

Alternatively, if you mean log in to TomTom Home on the PC, with the OLD account credentials, all well and good. Except it will then NOT allow or recognise the new device, which is not assigned to that account.

And right from the start, this was always the bit that I saw a problem at, even when you firt mentioned it.

So can you add a bit detail to my "Step 4" above, as THAT'S the bit it all falls apart for me mate....?

Cheers again too.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
Just to add/update:

Rang Support this morning - less than useless - didn't have a clue, but wanted LOADS of data from me via Return Message.

Briefly, may I offer the benefit of my own experiences? Log into TT website and go to the support page and send in a support question. It gives you a time stamped WRITTEN RECORD of all you've put to them.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
kichu1979
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

step 4 means login using TomTom HOME

There is no problem with having the same device assigned to two different account. Neither TomTom nor any software has any problems with that. It unly uses and remembers the last account that was used to login via tomtom home.

Generally speaking, the whole different account workaround will allow you to upgrade your maps to 8.05 via LMG and after logging back to the original account using your subscribed plus servies.

What you need to sort out with tomtom manually would be the old maps you have on your old account.

By doing as described above you will at least have the 8.05 maps up and running withouth the need to contact TomTom.

Quote:
Alternatively, if you mean log in to TomTom Home on the PC, with the OLD account credentials, all well and good. Except it will then NOT allow or recognise the new device, which is not assigned to that account.

Yes, I exactly mean that.

The whole procedure was done by a guy on yournav.com forum and he had almost the same situation as yours (TomTom manually changed device code, maps not activated, plus services running on the account), he did what I tell you to do and he both upgraded the maps and was able to use the plus services registered with old account.

What was suggested to do for him were switching to the new account after the plus service expires.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
shadamehr wrote:
Just to add/update:

Briefly, may I offer the benefit of my own experiences? Log into TT website and go to the support page and send in a support question. It gives you a time stamped WRITTEN RECORD of all you've put to them.

Hi Dennis.

Alas, I ALWAYS do the opposite, as much as your point is with merit, becasue TIME is the issue usually for me - or put another way, on issues where time is relevant, Messaging support is an absolute none-starter. Indeed, as my case shows. (That's not strictly true, indeed in all of this, a Question History incident exists for every case - its just FOLLOW UPS, and supplementals where calling is the way to go, as you'll see as you read on hopefully...)

You see, I had NOTHING response wise to me sending in the required scan and data, and leaving it at that, message wise.

But as soon as I RANG, "massive apologies", and the issue escalated there and then, and resolved when I got back home. Without ringing, it wouldn't even have been looked at that day.

Then exactly the same, today; NOTHING in terms of the email message supplying the requested data.

But soon as I RING up, again massive apologies for no one having actioned it, but I am also told I need to supply the "System Data".

So me being sensible, I told the CS to STAY on the line, while I did all this, copied it to clip-board, and added it to my Question History, then confirmed he could now see it.

He confirmed, and sent it straight up to Second Line.

Had I left it at Online Messaging only, it wouldn't even likely have been LOOKED AT today, let alone me being told I need to send System Data in too!

And this is simply an exact same repeat of the two cases I had historically back in Feb when I first got my TT.

So if records are important, in any particular issue you have, what you say is cast iron advice.

But if you need a speedy turn around, a hybrid of Messaging, and calls, is without doubt the only way to go.

Cheers for the advice too, though, for sure.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: