Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom GO 720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom GO 720

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danyshula
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Tomtom GO 720 Reply with quote

GPS is new to me , just got my first one GO 720.
I am RVing with my trailer every year during the summers since 2002 in North America.
Our main interests are: Nature,parks,hikes and meeting people.
I am just begging to get acquainted to the GO and would like to hear some advise how do use it in the most effective way.
Prior having the GPS I would plan my daily trips before leaving a Camp Ground on a map-how do I do a multi stop plan on the GO?
Thank you for any comments and advise.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

Before you start, the best thing is to do a complete backup, using Windows Explorer - see our FAQ Page - #1 is the most important starting point. Then stick around this forum and I'm sure some NA members will be along soon to give you some useful information for your part of the world.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danyshula,

Take what Dennis says seriously, and follow his advice, BEFORE getting too 'in to' the device - as it really is important to have, if things go wrong.

Anyhow, as just one small part of answering your question, the bit or option you are looking for, is the ITINERARY menu.

Bring up the menu screen on your 720, page along a page or two, and you will see the ITINERARY option.

Press this, and voilą.

A whole new bit to play with.

I'll in the main leave you to learn by playing with it, as it's fairly straight-forward.

But just a few things to bear in mind:

Unfortunately, the 720 cannot Optimise routes into the best order, like say Autoroute on a PC can, or CoPilot can.

So YOU will still have to plan the order of stops and destinations, yourself, and add them accordingly. They don't need to be ENTERED in the right order, in that you can move items up and down in the list as you wish until you are happy, but once you are finished, they need to be listed in the order you wish to visit them.

Secondly, "Waypoints" as opposed to "Destinations"...

When you enter new entries into the list, they initially get entered as a full "Destination". You can select any location, and change it to a Waypoint if you wish.

To give you an idea of the difference, TomTom calculates your route TIMES to the first DESTINATION in the list - it does not calculate route times to waypoints. Also, I think you need to manually intervene and confirm you are ready to move on to the next location, when driving to a Destination. But with a Waypoint, as you drive through, the 720 realises, and then routes you on to the next stop.

So, making an itinerary up, say you were going from Las Vegas, to Glacier Park in Montana, down to Austin Texas, then over to New York City, then back inland to Ashokan Nature Reserve (wow, what a trip Laughing Out Loud ).

If you set Glacier Park as a Waypoint, but Austin as a Destination, New York as a Waypoint, and then Ashokan as a Destination, then when you start driving, TT will calculate the route AND time estimation, to AUSTIN - that is, it will do a route to Austin going VIA Glacier Park, rest assured. But the time estimation on your journey, will be for reaching as far as Austin.

Then once you leave Austin, you 'tell' the TT, and it will then route you to Ashokan, but VIA New York, but again, the TIME estimation, will be for Ashokan.

So simply put, use Waypoints, and Destinations, as YOU prefer - depending on whether you want a time estimation for that leg of the journey or not.

TT take the view that a waypoint is exactly that - you are merely driving THROUGH it, whereas a Destination is a stop off point - but you can use them in any way you choose!

Hope this helps, but the best thing to do, is find the item on the device, make a few local short length itineraries, and experiment yourself how they work.

Cheers mate, and enjoy!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: