Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How do SPECs work?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How do SPECs work?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_T
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: How do SPECs work? Reply with quote

Appologies if this is not in the correct section, and also I have tried to search for the answer.

OK, I know they measure your average speed, but often there is a set of say 4 camera gantreys on the motorways. So theoretically I could get a ticket for having a "too high average speed" between 1st and 2nd gantry or 2nd and 3rd gantry or 3rd and 4th gantry. EVEN if my overall average speed between the 2st and 4th might be below the limit.

Is that correct?
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally there is a camera in (A) and the exit camera (B)
On multiple camera's, (B) is often on a slip road as you exit, leaving (C) after the slip road (back on the motorway) to pick up new traffic which would have been missed by (A) and (B)

When there is more than two camera's the computer can still calculate the average from the camera you started on and the one you leave, whether it is the second or fourth camera.

Whatever camera's you pass through it collects an average speed

Quote:
So theoretically I could get a ticket for having a "too high average speed" between 1st and 2nd gantry or 2nd and 3rd gantry or 3rd and 4th gantry. EVEN if my overall average speed between the 2st and 4th might be below the limit.

Yes, but i haven't heard of any being caught more than once through a 'chain' of Spec's, for instance leaving a slip road too fast, going back to camera (C) and doing it again, I'm not sure if the computer could handle that anyway!
Any one been caught twice?

If you were caught more than once within the cameras, i think it would count as one 'nick'.
If you stayed from camera (A) to (Z) I believe it would take just the one reading.

I can remember driving on the A2 one night missing camera (A) and heading to (B) too fast, but my DS calculated the 'cock up' did some sums, 'nagged' me to slow down and got me through (B) at about 20mph, Embarassed luckily the traffic was low.

I believe the Specs to be the only true 'safety' camera, the rest are just cash cows!
As they are linked to DVLA or PNC computers, they can also catch offenders so catch more than just speeders.

I hope that makes sense!
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
ben1390
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be one flaw with SPECS, which is motorbikes, are they immune to these cameras?
Mr_T
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignoring any incar detectors functionality, a chain of SPECs is "multiple traps", and sometimes they "may" share the same END camera?

If that is the case.... then I need my incar detector to see all SPECs cameras as Start points, except the last one, which would be nice if it was labeled as an end camera but should be identifiable as the the road signage should now be advising of the new "hopefully higher" limit?
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topcreator wrote:
There seems to be one flaw with SPECS, which is motorbikes, are they immune to these cameras?

As the Specs read from the front and a bike hasn't a front numberplate, they can't be read.

I wouldn't take this as being immune as when Specs can't read a speeding vehicle eg, no plate or un-readable fonts, they look at a photo, if they can't read or see a plate they pass it to the police, who have often spent hours trying to find any clue to where the bike comes from as if it is a personal vendetta.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_T wrote:
If that is the case.... then I need my incar detector to see all SPECs cameras as Start points, except the last one, which would be nice if it was labeled as an end camera but should be identifiable as the the road signage should now be advising of the new "hopefully higher" limit?

Do you not use the PGPSW speed camera database?
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_T wrote:
Ignoring any incar detectors functionality, a chain of SPECs is "multiple traps", and sometimes they "may" share the same END camera?

I think MaFt would be the one to ask as he writes the database and would be able to tell you how it works or how to alter it.
I know the PGPSW database doesn't work as a DS unit was designed on Specs cameras.
mc_conor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can it tell if i am only supposed to go 45mph? Say doing under the speed limit but over 45, about 55 in a 60?

Due to the "R" plate system only new drivers in northern Ireland can do 45 for 1 year after their test.

Also i have locations of a new mobile laser site, well actually it's an unconfirmed site but i have seen them on the same road at two different points covering both sides of the road. I took pictures to prove it also.

How do i go about updating this as i have been reading a few posts and don't fully know what to do?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mc_conor wrote:
Can it tell if i am only supposed to go 45mph? Say doing under the speed limit but over 45, about 55 in a 60?

It is possible that the operator could look at the pictures and see the R plate but I don't know if the system is that clever. I think they only go after the ones who are speeding above the fixed limit...

Quote:
Also i have locations of a new mobile laser site, well actually it's an unconfirmed site but i have seen them on the same road at two different points covering both sides of the road. I took pictures to prove it also.

Submit it here. http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras

If you are a subscriber then you might qualify for for lifetime membership, have a read of the rules.

topcreator wrote:

Yes, they are immune. I wouldn't call that a "flaw" though. Twisted Evil

The other quirk with specs is that a pair of cameras at the entrance and exit must cover a single lane. For your speed to be recorded, you must enter and exit the SPECS zone in the same lane. If you change lanes while you are in the SPECS zone then they cannot record your speed.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skippy wrote:

The other quirk with specs is that a pair of cameras at the entrance and exit must cover a single lane. For your speed to be recorded, you must enter and exit the SPECS zone in the same lane. If you change lanes while you are in the SPECS zone then they cannot record your speed.

Although this point has been made several times, i`ll not be the one to try the suggestion out. I shall be sticking to the SPECS limit even if i change lanes between cameras. Not worth that NIP letter arriving several days later is it? Wink

iPhone 12
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
skippy wrote:

Although this point has been made several times, i`ll not be the one to try the suggestion out. I shall be sticking to the SPECS limit even if i change lanes between cameras. Not worth that NIP letter arriving several days later is it? Wink

No, I have my doubts about this too. There are specs cameras on a stretch of the M60 in Stockport. A camera above each lane at the start, matching cameras at the end. But a single camera on the exit slip road in between. What's the point of that if you have to exit in the same lane? Or is it a bluff?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the general consensus in previous discussions was that the lane changing theory was a red herring.

I'm pretty sure that some of the specs on M1 between J26 and 27 are just one camera on a pole, there are two lanes of traffic. It doesn't take long to take a picture, does it? Click click and you've got two - from that distance, easily get more than one vehicle in frames anyway. On other setups, I've seen a pair on one pole covering three lanes of traffic.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I think the general consensus in previous discussions was that the lane changing theory was a red herring.

I don't think it is so much as a 'red herring' as sometimes you can get away with lane changing and sometimes not.

It depends on whether the camera overhead is actually looking at your lane or the one adjacent, just because it is over your lane it doesn't mean that this is the one watching you.

It is well known that some of the cameras are 'dummies' so the one overhead pointing your way could be 'dead', the one on the next lane is the one working, when you change lanes you could still be read.

I have also read somewhere that the new generation camera can read several lanes at once, as we all know they can change rules to suit themselves, so is it worth the gamble to test the system.

The Home Office has approved the Specs system for single-lane use only.
I haven't heard of any other changes in approval so as far as I know that still stands, but they can be very clever with the positioning, viewing and dummy cameras, any fool who tries to test it deserves the consequences.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
The Home Office has approved the Specs system for single-lane use only.

I haven't heard of any other changes in approval so as far as I know that still stands, but they can be very clever with the positioning, viewing and dummy cameras, any fool who tries to test it deserves the consequences.

What GJF said. Thumbs Up

I have noticed that some installations have two cameras covering three lanes, thus making it difficult to figure out which lanes are being monitored.

I don't deliberately speed though SPECS sections (not in the car anyway) but I do make a policy of changing lanes after every SPECS camera to be doubly sure. "They only have to be lucky once, I have to be lucky all the time"
mc_conor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also i have found another site yesterday where i nearly got put in prison, they put signs up for speed cameras on this road ages ago, i was in a lane specifically for overtaking that cuts off after about half a mile, and i was overtaking a lorry it was a warm day and good visibitlity apart from the opposite side of the road as it was densly packed with traffic.

Anyway i was looking in my rear view to confirm i was a safe distance ahead of the lorry to move back in, thank god i did that, as i moved back in i seen police parked up, slammed on the breaks head near hit the windscreen, he just looked at me. I was warning everyone there and also on the way back by hazards and pointing forward.

On the way back this side on the same road he was radioing speeding people to a red unmarked skoda octavia, who then followed on vascar then lit up like a christmas tree.

Is it appropriate to report this also to you guys, i don;t want anyone getting caught by these Censored

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: