Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 930 IQ not sure ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

930 IQ not sure ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GNR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: 930 IQ not sure ? Reply with quote

Following on from whats been said above, I have just started using the 930T, and tested the IQ routing for the first time, this was without traffic enabled.

My journey, one I makle regularly:

Holmes Chapel to Darlington, I would NEVER dream of going via Leeds on the M62, as its just a carpark in the rush hour, instead I would join the M6 at Holmes Chapel and stay on until J38 A66, follow this along to Scotch Corner and join the A1 for a short while before tuning off for Darlington.

Now granted its a longer journey but can save about an hour on average.

I was expecting my TomTom IQ to realise this from the time I travelled and know that the M62 via Leeds was NOT an option.

Have I missed something here please.

Many thanks

Steve
hijacker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what route does it plan when your Traffic is enabled?

have you update your maps to v805 which also includes updated IQ routes info??
GNR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not tried iq with traffic enabled yet, but should plan best route regardless IMO

I have lates 8.05 maps as of last night and will give it a retry.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 930 IQ not sure ? Reply with quote

GNR wrote:
Have I missed something here please.

No. It cannot possibly live up to the hype, simply because the information is incomplete. AND it's not as bright as you - it couldn't possibly compute going that far round.

And you're right, Traffic is nothing to do with the performance of IQ routing - IQ is to do with "normal" (historic) traffic situations, Traffic is to do with "abnormal" traffic situations. IQ should know about Leeds, that's the TomTom marketing hype - it has all this information about getting you round the usual traffic snarl ups. Just another good idea to join Spoken Dialogue, MapShare, Latest Map Guarantee, EPT, Bluetooth Handsfree, small internal memory, help me out here - what others have they come up with and failed to implement properly? Never mind, HD Traffic is the next one!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, please take a look at this thread: http://tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=9432.

It appears that IQ routing does seem to work.
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am agreeing with dennis here. In london it seems as if IQ routes is surprisingly inaccurate when i KNOW that lots of tomtom users use the route.

Lane guidance seems non-existent in London too - even the small guidance arrows.

Bluetooth didn't work on a 730 either with my phone...just gave weird crackling and crashed the phone.

TMC is pretty much the same - a nice feature to have 'just in case' but often the info is best ignored....that is if your device even can get info in the first place and can display what it gets properly.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Dennis, please take a look at this thread: http://tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=9432.

It appears that IQ routing does seem to work.

Unfortunately the picture links in that thread don't work for me, so I can't see the obvious.

Probably my problem is I was born before North America was invented, so I keep forgetting this forum is worldwide! Embarassed I don't know how true it is, but I have the impression that NA is less crowded than UK, with fewer roads (relative to ground cover, that is). In that case, wouldn't there be fewer alternatives to choose, so the IQ routing has a better chance of working? I once met a couple of Canadians who told me their "next door" neighbours were a mere 20 miles down the road. Over here, I have over 20,000 neighbours within a mile, with roads to all of them.

In UK, we have two motorways running north/south at both sides of the country, with cross and diagonal motorway links here and there, plus a huge number of cross country roads of all classes. If a spiders web has only four radial threads, the choices for getting in and out are quite limited, whereas with the number they actually DO have, you could have a happy day's wandering up and down.

The OP had the problem of getting from one place "this side" to another place "t'other side". The sensible route he is taking is surprisingly only about 10 miles further than the logical motorway route, but has some thirty odd miles more "ordinary" roads than via motorways. If he felt so inclined, I fancy he could use a different route every day for two weeks with very little duplication. But I don't think IQ routing is up to that sort of exercise and clearly cannot even manage to find his alternative.

There is another thing too. These devices have no imagination or common sense - "Fastest" route is exactly what it says and 1 minute is faster. For his two to three hour journey, he can afford to decide not to risk the delay by adding a mere few minutes to the calculated journey, with the odds in his favour that he's got it right.

I fear that IQ routing will not help him.

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having today used two devices with IQ Routes installed and one without the difference in routing solutions was quite pronounced.

Blackpool to Derby

IQ Routes 2,6 miles further but 4 minutes faster - as the M6 was unusually clear for a change I took the IQ route offered and arrived some 50 minutes earlier than I had planned on!
Non IQ route device would have taken me through Stoke on Trent which is not a good idea at 08:30, to be honest had I taken the non IQ Route I would have probably been on time, but only just - Mike
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis.....there are about 330-350 million between USA and Canada so there are parts that are indeed fairly crowded for urban areas but other stretches where the homes are few and far between; so your point is well taken.

Sorry the link didn't work but, with IQ guidance, the route from one location in 1 state to another location in adifferent state avoided going through a major city (St. Loius, Missouri). With IQ, the route avoided that busy route and chose a faster, shorter one.

I agree that IQ should be more relevant as one traverses through major cities (such as London, for example) than going from 1 basically rural area to another.
jbsolutios
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we travelled back from Sussex to London yesterday, our 930T took us a much better route than before and saved us a lot of time.

I have found that IQ does work very well. Around London, TT used to always try and take us on the most major road possible, which was usually where everybody else was going.

IQ routes seems to improve this a great deal.

We are going to go from London down to Devon, across to Birmingham, up to Yorkshire and then down to London again next week, so it will be interesting to see how IQ improves this.

On a separate note, I am having a nightmare with Latest Map Guarantee. TT Home says that I am only entitled to the North America map and TT support have been pretty useless.

They are implying that I am only entitled to an update to a single map (North America or Western & Central Europe).

They have implied that I must have bought a "grey import" - news to me, as I would have imagined that Halfords were a reputable supplier!

Has anyone else had problems with their 930T and Latest Map Guarantee please?

Many thanks

JB
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbsolutios wrote:
Has anyone else had problems with their 930T and Latest Map Guarantee please?
EVERYBODY seems to have trouble with Latest Map Guarantee, no matter what device they've bought!

The 930 (and 920) have been particularly thorny with them trying to disallow the other continent (whether Europe or North America).

The answer is you just have to get very loud and very insistent. Remember, you bought the 930 BECAUSE it had both Europe and North America, BECAUSE you want to use it in both places. Is that too much for them to understand?? Would you buy a device with both Europe and NA maps if you DIDN'T want to navigate in both Eu and NA?? They are utter plonkers!! You have a receipt from Halfords in this country, it says 930T, will TomTom give you a letter saying it must be a grey import for you to take to Halfords??

Other people have taken this insistent route and have succeeded. TT will be astonished to hear you say so and will suggest they must have been special cases and they're not doing that any longer. RUBBISH.

jbsolutios
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis

Many thanks for this.

I thought that this was the case, but I find it unbelievable how difficult they make it to get updates.

The people on the end of the phone just seem to find it impossible to understand why they should give me an update to both maps - total fools!

I had a similar problem with my first 930T - it was power cycling, so they told me to take it back. I did this and Halfords said that they did not need to give me a new receipt as the one I had did not show a serial number on it.

TomTom then refused to activate the new one as I could be a thief who had stolen the unit from the shop. I had to jump up and down until they finally agreed to activate it a second time :-D

Rant over ;-)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbsolutios wrote:
Hi Dennis

Many thanks for this.

I thought that this was the case, but I find it unbelievable how difficult they make it to get updates.

Well, I'm still waiting for mine, which I started chasing for on 6th May - a new ONE which came as a free accessory with (but after) my new Renault van. I've proved to them that I bought a van for over £9500, but the invoice was dated more than a month before my ONE came separately by post. I've proved (screen dumps) that Home offers me Latest Map Guarantee, but map v715 instead of the Latest, v720. I have now obtained, scanned and sent them a letter from Renault confirming when they sent me the ONE (5 weeks after the van). It has now been "escalated"!! This is a brand new promotional offer - buy a van, get a free TomTom satnav - you'd think TomTom might have SOME knowledge of it! Gawd help yer average whitevanman when he asks if he can have the up to date map!!

jbsolutios
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just gets better - I have been hassling TomTom for the update as we are going away for 2 weeks in the morning and will be driving all the time.

Yesterday, they updated my account so that I could download the 805 version of both maps. They advised me to take a backup at this point, which I did.

A moment ago, I went to add in all of the destinations. When I turned the device on, I was asked to select the map I wanted. I tried both Europe and US, but got an error!!!

Activation Failed
Sorry, this is not the correct activation code for the product 'Western_and_Central_Europe'.

I cannot believe these guys.

Is there anything that I can do to try to get this unit working please?

Many thanks

JB
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbsolutios wrote:
Is there anything that I can do to try to get this unit working please?

First, let's agree that ANY map will be better than no map.

So, restore from your backup, in order to get a working map. You said you did a backup on their advice - would this mean that you used Home to do the backup? We generally advise people to do backups by using Windows Explorer.

Check to make sure your device is now back in working order, with the old maps.

Then do another backup using Windows Explorer - we give two reasons for using win explorer - 1. It is always reliable, whereas Home has been known to be unreliable. 2. It is easier to Copy and Paste than to go through all the Home logging etc. If you don't know, Win Explorer backup is simply - Create a directory on your PC called for example Backup2008-05-24, then Copy and Paste everything from your TT device into it. (Next time you do a backup - you should do so regularly - create another directory with the name showing that later date).

Having...
1. Restored,
2. tested all is working
3. and then created another backup,
4. now go back to download the maps again using Home - Menu item "Add Maps, Traffic, Voices etc", where you should find the maps still available for download. This time, you might like to consider downloading just one first - say the one where you're going on holiday tomorrow. Then see if it works. If it works, do another backup, then download the other map. Maybe, with luck, that'll work too and you'll be happy again. If one or neither works, you have to revert to your backup by (using Windows Explorer) deleting everything from your device and copying all the backup onto it (incidentally, you do NOT copy the backup directory itself onto your device, only the contents of it which you copied into it). At least with your old maps you can go on holiday, at the same time leaving a "support question" for TomTom to see whilst you are away - I don't think you will be able to make any contact with them until after the weekend, when you'll be away yourself.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: