Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Why StuffIt Expander for Mac ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Why StuffIt Expander for Mac ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madou
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Why StuffIt Expander for Mac ? Reply with quote

I have to either buy, or sign up for this software to use my paid for speed camera subscription on a Mac because ?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because our downloads are zipped for download. You don't need to use Stuffit if you have another archive application capable of opening .zip files. We simply recommend Stuffit because it is the most popular and is free for the basic version required.

If you already have software capable of opening a .zip archive on your Mac then you don't need Stuffit.
madou
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Because our downloads are zipped for download. You don't need to use Stuffit if you have another archive application capable of opening .zip files. We simply recommend Stuffit because it is the most popular and is free for the basic version required.

If you already have software capable of opening a .zip archive on your Mac then you don't need Stuffit.

Odd then that the zip files I get from my subscription to GpsPassion.com for the French Speed Cameras do open without issue using the default Archive Utility

GpsPassion.com certainly does not look as slick as this site, but is in this sense easier to use. Perhaps then PGPSW can introduce .tar.gz to really fox the humble punter Rolling Eyes Only joking, how about 7z ?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our downloads are created 'on the fly' from a master data set. Why this causes issues with Apple's built-in archive.app we have never been able to understand (we're Mac users here so have looked at this).

Given that it is easily resolved using Stuffit or any of a number of other apps we chose to leave it as is rather then devote more time to working out why archive.app has a problem with our files. Now if you can fathom out what the issue is we'd love to know!

It's not an anti-Mac thing, as I said, both MikeB and I are Mac fans.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a couple of Macs (and PCs) as well, sometimes there are issues with the Macs, this is something I have come to terms with many years ago.

I don't have a problem here, I use Stuffit no problem, it is free.
But I can understand the frustrations sometimes when things don't 'work out of the box'.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we last looked at this, the consensus (amongs Mac experts) was the the BOMArchiveHelper service was flaky at the best of times and we were much better off recommending Stuffit as it was at least of use for other archive operations.

Bizarrely, if you use Terminal, the archive unzips without error but that is too complex to suggest for most users.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StuffitExpander is what you need and it's absolutely free - Stuffit Deluxe contains the wherewithall to compress as well as decompress files.

The use of StuffitExpander is probably historic as much as anything else because there was a time when it was included as part of the operating system, so it wasn't an extra add-on download as such.

It's nothing unique to PGPSW because there are a lot of other sites which require an add-on to properly decompress files.

However, StuffitExpander is known to work with downloads from this site and that is why it's recommended.

There's no payment needed and the only registration as such is a valid e-mail address.

If you're interested in the download, the latest version is available here
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a complete Mac novice, but I downloaded Stuffit successfully (don't ask me for advice on how - it happened and I'm grateful). It unzips the camera database for me - I confess I normally use my PC, but I know that if I choose to do a download to my MacBook on the move, it'll work as easily as on the PC.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: