Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - x30 IQ routing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

x30 IQ routing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bdchme
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: x30 IQ routing Reply with quote

Have just experienced IQ routing for the first time.
I have a 720 with Navcore 8 and 8.05 maps with Tomtom traffic subscription via bluetooth to mobile phone.
Travelling to Central Manchester earlier this week, at a notoriously bad time of day, down M61 / M60 / M602, it told me to come off the M61 5 miles from the usual bad spot. I have done this journey many hundreds of times over the years, and TT has never had me come off at that junction before. I decided to risk it and follow its advice and wow... barely any traffic snarl ups and I was there almost 1 hour before my anticipated arrival time.
I must say, I have much more faith in the IQ navigation after this.
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know, I'm looking forward to IQ routing. As a matter of interste, how did you get the navcore 8 software on your 720? I didn't think it had been relased yet for that unit.
Thanks
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been pleasantly surprised by the performance, and I think that the V805 maps possibly have better data than the V800.

You do have to watch the distance though, it seems entirely optimised for journey time. On one route I checked, it added 25 miles to the route to save 2 minutes.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same question (for bdchme)... How have you got v8 maps and software for a 720?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this is a simple mistake as the thread heading mentions x30 and IQ routes, is it possible you have an x30 device and have typed 720 by mistake?
If you do have a 720 running version 8 software and version 8 maps perhaps you could let me know where they came from, a PM or e-mail identifying the source would be appreciated - thanks - Mike
kichu1979
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, if he does have 720 running navcore 8 and 8.xx maps then it's just piracy. No magic involved. Got mentioned on yournav.com forums some time ago.

http://www.yournav.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11927&st=0&start=0
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok well let's give bdchme a chance to comment. The thread title clearly states "x30 IQ routing" so we'll give the benefit of the doubt for now.....
vibeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loads of people have navcore8 and iq routes on x20's.... its not rocket science. Lets just do the PGPSW thing though, and pretend its not happening :D
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Lets just do the PGPSW thing though, and pretend its not happening :D

No one is pretending it's not happening. We just don't allow the discussion of how to do it or support it.

Car crime happens all the time but we don't give tips on how to steal cars here either....
vibeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a difference between discussing it, and linking to sites / telling people how to do it though, is there not?

Sorry if my post above came across as bitchy. It wasn't really, just sometimes I think the fact we aren't allowed to discuss that it happens... is a little bit overkill in my opinion. Thats what I was getting at.

Equally, if the original poster in this thread (purely as an example), is using navcore8 on a 720... considering he isn't discussing piracy, is it really an issue, and should he be questioned on it? The answer to that, I don't know.

To clarify, ignoring the stupidity in admitting to running it on a 720, considering the OP is making a post about IQ Routes being very good, should it matter what he is running it on?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a clear line on this, whilst the installation of v8 software is a grey area and not one that I particularly have any issue with, the sourcing of and use of v8 maps for which you have neither paid nor have a licence is
piracy i.e. theft.

Clearly there is a line to be drawn between the discussion of and the facilitation of or assisting with piracy. But it is because the differentiation between the two is so difficult that we have opted for a zero tolerance policy that cannot be misunderstood.

If a poster wants help with a software issue and it is clear his software is pirated, do you suggest we therefore should overlook that fact and assist him/her? Your suggestion that if a subject is not discussing piracy per se it should then be allowed is not as simple as it may seem and just one example of the difficulties we have in this area and this our zero tolerance policy for the avoidance of any doubt.

Nobody is suggesting it doesn't occur but neither will we turn a blind eye and pretend it isn't happening. We suffer at the hands of thieves and if anything it affects us far more than it might affect the likes of TomTom. But it is worth bearing in mind that the demise of TomTom's PocketPC product line has been primarily brought about as a result of piracy. We can't complain about restrictive protection measures etc with one hand and then condone or turn a blind eye when someone else acquires a hookey map.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So lets hope it was just a typo!
vibeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
We have a clear line on this, whilst the installation of v8 software is a grey area and not one that I particularly have any issue with, the sourcing of and use of v8 maps for which you have neither paid nor have a licence is
piracy i.e. theft.

Clearly there is a line to be drawn between the discussion of and the facilitation of or assisting with piracy. But it is because the differentiation between the two is so difficult that we have opted for a zero tolerance policy that cannot be misunderstood.

If a poster wants help with a software issue and it is clear his software is pirated, do you suggest we therefore should overlook that fact and assist him/her? Your suggestion that if a subject is not discussing piracy per se it should then be allowed is not as simple as it may seem and just one example of the difficulties we have in this area and this our zero tolerance policy for the avoidance of any doubt.

Nobody is suggesting it doesn't occur but neither will we turn a blind eye and pretend it isn't happening. We suffer at the hands of thieves and if anything it affects us far more than it might affect the likes of TomTom. But it is worth bearing in mind that the demise of TomTom's PocketPC product line has been primarily brought about as a result of piracy. We can't complain about restrictive protection measures etc with one hand and then condone or turn a blind eye when someone else acquires a hookey map.

Thanks for the clarification Darren.

Obviously the guy here isn't asking for support etc, but I do understand how its too difficult to pigeon hole whats ok and whats not.

As I said earlier, *IF* he is using navcore8, the sensible thing would have been to lie/not mention a 720 anyway! Smile

I'll shut up now, and you can have your thread back!
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG stop with the banal hijacking guys. Nobody cares about piracy if he did it. It is a matter between him and prosecutors. We aren't vigilantes, especially when the title topic is x30 and 2 is only the next key along.

sheesh. I need to get you guys some chocolate or HRT Laughing Out Loud Twisted Evil

Anyway, I've tried IQ routes on a 730T device and it took me right through Piccadilly in London during a peak time. It should've taken me through grosvenor square instead. It estimated the picaddilly route at 11mins and my route at 15mins. In reality it's first route would have taken at least 40mins to an hour from 1Tite street SW3 to Goodge Street (off tottenham court road).

IQ routes from the original post sounds as if it can work ok on busy commuter routes, but less so in the city.

I must also reiterate the fact I've seen the device take people off and back on the motorway to save a few minutes but add a few miles. As with any gizmo, it is ultimately up to YOU the driver and YOUR discretion whether to sit in the traffic and munch clutch for ten mins or be driving winding 30mph roads and roundabouts to be there even a few minutes earlier.

Another potential problem with IQ routes is that it might have far more data for the motorway than the local roads it re-routes you to. In that case you could go from the devil you know....to the devil you don't.

My academic complain with IQ routing is that there is certainly a way to avoid roads, but then little or no visible prioritisation between alternate routes other than simply avoiding busy ones. And of course a road with little or skewed data will be preferred to a faster road with more negative data even if on average the latter is indeed better.

My 2ds.

IQ routes IS a step in the right direction. no doubt about that imo.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_ah1 wrote:
OMG stop with the banal hijacking guys. Nobody cares about piracy if he did it. It is a matter between him and prosecutors. We aren't vigilantes, especially when the title topic is x30 and 2 is only the next key along.

sheesh. I need to get you guys some chocolate or HRT Laughing Out Loud Twisted Evil

I don't need chocolate or HRT to spot a post that is clearly hinting at pirate software, we know the practice occurs but do not tollerate it at all, in addition I also have a very good memory so perhaps there is something more that some of you are not quite seeing in the OP.
I too hope this is a simple typo and have asked publicily for such clarification, we don't operate as TomTom's internet Police BUT software theft costs all of us in the long run, either in the pocket or worse still when a manufacturer withdraws from the market all together - not a nice though, but to anyone condoning such practice as using illegally obtained material consider the true implications - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: