Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help needed upgrading 2620 from Map V6 to V8
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help needed upgrading 2620 from Map V6 to V8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Help needed upgrading 2620 from Map V6 to V8 Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade a 2620 from Europe map V6 to V8. I bought the CD and paid Garmin the $80 to activate. I get a Mapsource window with Europe broken down into dozens of areas, and can select a number of areas to download to the 2620. I can only select about a third of Europe before I get an error message saying that there is insufficient space on the 2620.

In the instruction manual, it says that the hard drive has approx 512Mb spare for additional maps, and that I am not to worry about damaging the pre-installed map, since this is protected against over-writing. But this is exactly what I am trying to do.

As an interim, I downloaded only the UK areas from V8 and this fitted into the available space. When you select the maps on the 2620, it shows 2 sets as available: the original whole of Europe V6 and the new UK bit of V8. I can then enable the new UK and disable the old V6 which at least gives me UK at present, but how do I get rid of the V6 europe map, to free up disc space so that I can download the whole of Europe V8?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, when it says not to worry about damaging the preinstalled map, I suspect that it is referring to the Basemap which, I think, is in the unit's ROM.

512Mb isn't enough to hold the whole of Europe; it needs more like 2Gb. Your 512Mb will probably hold GB, France and BeNeLux, but not much more than that.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the manual, it's got a 2GB hard drive. It's already been used for a journey to Spain using the built-in V6 Europe map, and it had street level mapping of the area we went to.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished too early.

So what we now have on the 2620 is the whole of Europe at version 6 and the whole of UK from version 8, as two selectable map sets.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I didn't realise the storage was so large. Can you 'Explore' the device using Windows Explorer (through Activesync) or only thorough Mapsource?
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't explore at all. When you connect the 2620 through the USB cable, it is not recognised as a separate drive, so you can't use explorer to look at the contents. Mapsource also won't give me access to the drive. All that it allows is for me to send map sets to the 2620. If I send a different "additional" map set, it overwrites the previous "additional" V8 set, within the spare 512Mb, but still leaves V6 whole of Europe intact.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's unusual. When I send maps to my GPS V (old, I know, but it till does a job) then it overwrites the previously sent set. Same with the Que software on my PPC.

Having just downloaded the manual and read p.68, it looks as though you are right, and your preloaded maps cannot be erased. It might be worth an email to support@garmin.com to confirm this, though.
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would call Garmin Customer support to clarify whether you could remove the original maps or not and how.

But, even if you had 512Mb though unless you regularly travel all over Europe that would get you a quite a lot of map data. You would not get all of Europe in 512Mb but thats still 4 times what you need for British isles and Ireland.
Throttlejockey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
Did you resolve this problem ? I've just bought the Mapsource City Navigator Europe Update 2009 and can't install them on my 2620 as I don't have enough space. My 2620 has the internal 2 gig hard drive, I can't figure out how to make space for the new maps.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: