Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Buy One now or wait for v4?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Buy One now or wait for v4?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I remember that some of the early devices used Navteq maps but all the more recent ones are TeleAtlas
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One my new TomTom ONE v3 Europe the maps are v720.1820 and the only copyright given for data is 2007 Tele Atlas NV. No mention of Navteq.

TomTom XL + Audi A3 (with navigation)
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have decided having looked at the ONE range that I may as well stick with my GO300 having only recently replaced the battery and as it appears to be working OK I have upgraded my maps (first upgrade in three years) and have gone for the Western Europe maps. I could not see the logic of paying £40 for the UK map when I could get the whole of Western Europe for £60. As usual with TomTom the download instructions were as clear as mud but got there in the end. The Pocket World speed cameras were a bit of a fiddle - although I copied and pasted from previous maps a number of the ogg files needed a fresh install - not sure why that should be but all working again now. I had also read about the bug whereby it asks if you want this sound but doesn't actually play one but to press YES anyway.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is all working 100% following its face lift I would consider a full backup to the PC just in case, this action will save countless hours of avoidable "fun" so it is well worth copying the TomTom fully to the PC and DVD disk if you have a read/ write drive in the PC - Mike
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
If it is all working 100% following its face lift I would consider a full backup to the PC just in case, this action will save countless hours of avoidable "fun" so it is well worth copying the TomTom fully to the PC and DVD disk if you have a read/ write drive in the PC - Mike

I'm ahead of you there as I'm quite obsessive about backing up my PC files. I have got new maps backup on the PC itself, plus two external HD's and one backup on USB memory stick - just thinking though is that enough? Laughing
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm ahead of you there as I'm quite obsessive about backing up my PC files. I have got new maps backup on the PC itself, plus two external HD's and one backup on USB memory stick - just thinking though is that enough?

A little off topic but if you are 'quite obsessive' about backing up your PC have you consider a new Windows Home Service. I purchased a Tranquil version ready loaded with the WHS software couple of months ago mainly as a backup device. It's connected to my home network and automatically does a backup of my PC and my wifes PC and also my laptop, if I leave it attached, every night.

If you want to know any more send me a PM.

TomTom XL + Audi A3 (with navigation)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: