Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 8110 released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 8110 released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised too by the lack of mention of it too. I'm glad to hear that you find the speaker to be powerful enough and the quality to be good enough too.

Either way I'm going to greece for a few months so hopefully navigon will get their act together by then with POIs...ironically, i told my dad I was going to get one and he said 'why do you want one of those pokey things - get a proper car unit :S'

He had just visited sextons car audio and they were showing off the alpine and kenwoods of this world - I think the geek in him (as it's his money) will end up spending £1200 on my car instead of £300 just becuase he thinks the dash units are cooler Laughing Out Loud :S

For the first time I really appreciated a speed camera unit - I'm generally of the opinion that if you drive carefully and look out you don't need a machine to warn you - but coming from central london to Epsom via the A and M3 I was shocked at the cameras - They were hidden behind bushes and trees, they were dotted one after the other, at red lights, and they gave a 50mph sign just before a 40mph camera......Was really glad I borrowed my dad's snooper sapphire - it kept on buzzing every ten seconds for some nasty camera!!! and they were all so well hidden Sad and the speed signs were so confusing. I wouldn't have known the limits without the unit. so I'm going to deluge navigon with some more POI mail from different addresses......

Twisted Evil
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I found that too - things like a 40mph sign 10 yards in front of a 30mph sign, and no speed limit warnings for miles in a camera area. Makes you wonder ... (is it really safety, or money? Rolling Eyes Razz ). I did come across some cameras though that actually had a speed limit plate attached - that did seem fair.

Be a little wary of the Navigon limits indications though. Extremely valuable though they are, I found a number of limits that they had wrong, such as 30mph when it was really 40 (no problem, except to the lengthening queue behind you of course!), and 60mph when it was 40 (potentially DEFINITELY a problem). This applied to long-standing limits, not just recent changes.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Yes, I found that too - things like a 40mph sign 10 yards in front of a 30mph sign, and no speed limit warnings for miles in a camera area. Makes you wonder ... (is it really safety, or money? Rolling Eyes Razz ). I did come across some cameras though that actually had a speed limit plate attached - that did seem fair.

Be a little wary of the Navigon limits indications though. Extremely valuable though they are, I found a number of limits that they had wrong, such as 30mph when it was really 40 (no problem, except to the lengthening queue behind you of course!), and 60mph when it was 40 (potentially DEFINITELY a problem). This applied to long-standing limits, not just recent changes.

Any speed limit issues I have reported to Navteq. The data seems to be part of the map data.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk - earlier, you mentioned a carry case for the 8110. Did you get one? If so:

- is it ok?

- is it waterproof?

- where did you get it from?

Grateful for any info, I've flattened the battery a couple of times with the provided 'grab-bag' by pressing the on/off switch when sliding it away, and my wet-weather plastic bag lacks a bit of class (though I can then operate the unit and it seems to be safe)!
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not managed to order one yet to be honest. (Have been spending too much on Holidays and such at the moment... And sure I'll get the 'why do you want one of them? You have a cover for it already!! Laughing Out Loud

I don't think it's waterproof though.

As for your plastic bag solution I'm sure someone was telling me at work that you can get bags designed for camera's and other things for using devices 'under water' Question
So if they are safe for underwater then I'm sure they would be great for using a GPS outdoors in the rain.

I'll try to find out Wink
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks jonandmarkuk. I've ordered the carrycase off the .de site so will return the favour and let you know what's it's like.

It's a bit expensive now - the € doesn't seem to appreciate just how strong our £ still is really, in spite of all the battering the nasty world is giving it Wink. But I decided to get it as my 8110 didn't take too kindly to a small knock against the car door, even though it was in the grab-bag, in my jacket pocket, with the back facing outwards. It just couldn't cope with life as a satnav anymore, until I did a reset. Confused.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had an e-mail from Expansys to say my pre-ordered item is now in stock... Shocked

Wow took long enough for them to get them in stock, but at least they finally have them in Wink

Will reply and say no thanks so someone else can buy the unit
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Many thanks jonandmarkuk. I've ordered the carrycase off the .de site so will return the favour and let you know what's it's like.

It's a bit expensive now - the € doesn't seem to appreciate just how strong our £ still is really, in spite of all the battering the nasty world is giving it Wink. But I decided to get it as my 8110 didn't take too kindly to a small knock against the car door, even though it was in the grab-bag, in my jacket pocket, with the back facing outwards. It just couldn't cope with life as a satnav anymore, until I did a reset. Confused.

Has the leather case arrived yet? I'm interested to know if it adds to the overall size of the unit or if it's still a nice size to pop into a roomy trouser pocket.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet jonandmarkuk - hopefully in the next two days. I'll certainly let you know, though I'm not at present qualified to talk about roomy trouser pockets - not till my wife bullies me into a diet.

Happy - Ah, the doorbell's just this second gone - here it is.

Fits nicely into trouser/anorak pocket, obviously adds a bit of weight but not too much. A snug, safe fit, the screen area is open at the front so the screen is fully visible and accessible; a hole in the back where (I think) the loudspeaker is - sound is fine; flap-over cover with strap/press-stud fix. Seems to be well padded, nice edge stitching (hope it lasts). Slightly fiddly getting unit out but nothing difficult.

Looks like a nice cover (black, BTW). I'm glad I got it, just sorry I didn't do it when the £ was a bit stronger against the €.

BTW, any news of the plastic waterproof protection bags?

Last edited by BigPerk on Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. Maybe tempted to get a carry case. Was it just the standard Navigon leather case you ordered?

As for the bags not found anything definate, but these look like they could do the job http://www.aquapac.net/ukstore/erol.html
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks j&muk - I ordered the cover from the .de shop, so it's presumably the standard one. I didn't know there was a choice, actually - don't tell me I've missed something better!
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all... just wanted to ensure I order the correct one.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just popped outside quickly to see if it will receive GPS in the cover as this would be handy in pedestrian mode. It seems to HOLD a signal though I wasn't sure how well it picks one up from scratch. I got the feeling reception might be a little patchy but am not sure. Not a showstopper for me (fortunately!).
gwentvillan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if anyone is interested I have one of these for sale in the FOR SALE section.
It has only be used very briefly.

Thanks

Andrew
pdrodwell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am possibly interested in buying a Navigon 8110. Does anyone know if you can enter a destination just by the postcode, or do you have to select a town then a street?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 14 of 24

Jump to: